PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside Question(s)

JenniferS.
12-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Ok, trying to plan a trip to the world for our large family of 6 the cheapest way possible. The ages of the kids would be 8, 8, 5, and 2 1/2 yrs. Would it be really squishy to fit us in POR? It is cheaper than getting the family suite at ASM. The baby wouldn't sleep in a crib I don't think. He will be just shy of 3. Was looking at a preferred room there. Not sure if we should spend the extra to get the suite at ASM. Thanks in advance.

Strmchsr
12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
I would say either 2 connecting rooms at a value resort, or possibly a wilderness lodge cabin would be your best bet. I'm fairly certain (though not 100%) that even with the trundle bed the max occupancy at POR is 5 in a room.The 2 rooms at a value is usually cheaper than the family suite because the suites are not eligible for discounts.

forever a child
12-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I would go with a wilderness lodge cabin! :mickey:

finaldynasty
12-27-2010, 04:32 PM
I would say either 2 connecting rooms at a value resort, or possibly a wilderness lodge cabin would be your best bet. I'm fairly certain (though not 100%) that even with the trundle bed the max occupancy at POR is 5 in a room.The 2 rooms at a value is usually cheaper than the family suite because the suites are not eligible for discounts.

We have a family of 5 and POR was the only moderate that we were allowed to book. There max room capacity is 5 per room. We did not feel comfortable with our youngest or another child sleeping in the trundle bed because we were on the ground floor and a lizard darted into our room upon placing our things in our room, but I digress. We let our DKs (8, 6, 3) sleep in one bed and my wife and I slept in another. My suggestion would be to go with the POP family suite.

I hope this helps.

:mickey:

faline
12-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Actually, the cabins are in Fort Wilderness and are not located at Wilderness Lodge though it's certainly easy to confuse the two names!

I believe the trundle bed rooms at Port Orleans Riverside allow for 5 plus a child under 3 in a crib. I do believe it would be quite tight, however.

lovinmesomedisney
12-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Depends on how much time you want to spend in your room. We really don't care how crowded, because we are only in a room to sleep! If you are the type to hang out at the resort a lot, it may be crowded, otherwise, we took our family of 6 to PORS when my kids were younger and never had any problems whatsoever. We are the type who prefer to spend our money in the parks rather than on our lodging.

disneymom15
12-27-2010, 05:18 PM

I agree with Chris.

mom2morgan
12-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Well, *I* would do POR just because I think it is so much nicer. But to give you an idea of if it is TOO "squishy" - there are two double beds. With the trundle pulled out, that fills the space between bed and door. There is still room at the foot of the beds for a single sized air mattress - so your babe would probably fit in the crib there. AT that point the room is FULL, with just enough room to move around and get to the bathroom. The trundle, by the way, waws plenty comfortable for my 15 year old (she's about 5'2") even though they say only up to 9. SOOO...if you and your hubby can be comfortable in a double, and you can have the baby in a crib and the twins on one bed with the 5 year old on the trundle it COULD be done, but I'd agree that 2 rooms at a value would offer you more space and 2 bathrooms.

Buttercup
12-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah I wouldn't be able to squeeze 6 into a room at PORS -- and we come from a long line of motorhoming so we're used to being squished in tight quarters. :D
Here's a floorplan of the room:
http://yourfirstvisit.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/por-5-person.jpg

You said that your 3yo son probably wouldn't sleep in the pack & play (and rightfully so - those things are only rated for a maximum of 35-40lbs but even that is pushing it). But even if he DID sleep in it, you're going to have to cram it into the corner by the table & chair set in the room (where he's going to freeze next to the air conditioner... :( ) Either that, or put it in near the bathroom in the closet-area, but that doesn't leave you any place for your suitcases.
Next, you're going to need space for the trundle. The space between the 2 double beds really isn't wide enough for a trundle, which means it's going to need to go over by the front door, and it's not very convenient because then the door can't open all the way.

AND you've only got one bathroom, which, I'm no vain person but I like a little privacy and nobody banging on the door for me to hurry up!

Anyway, I would honestly get 2 connecting value rooms myself. Plus with kids that young they'd really enjoy the theming!

KennyandKim
12-28-2010, 01:18 AM
We booked a room at POR when me, my DH, twin DDs 15 and son 16 were going March 2009. My son decided not to go but we kept our reservation. My daughters shared the second bed in the room. I think you would feel cramped. We didn't spend alot of time in our room either but when we were there we felt we had very little room to move around. I too would go with two rooms at a Value resort

A Big Kid
12-28-2010, 06:41 AM
Two things to consider :
regarding price. While the initial room rate may be cheaper at POR, don't forget to factor in the additional cost of adding people to a room reservation. Each additional person more than two is another nightly charge.

The second thing to consider is the additional bathroom. That could be worth the added cost alone for time saved in the morning.

PrettyMinnie
12-28-2010, 11:53 AM
The second thing to consider is the additional bathroom. That could be worth the added cost alone for time saved in the morning.

Agreed. We too have a large family of 6 (our kids are older than yours though) and the adjoining rooms is our perfect solution. The extra space and bathroom really help!

JenniferS.
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I will have to look into the 2 rooms at a value. I guess we would have to put 1 adult and 2 kids in each room. Can you book like that online or would I have to call? Thanks again!

crltkcagle
12-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Glad you were able to make a decision. I was going to tell you that while POR is nice the limit is 5 people per room unless you have a baby in a crib. We are a family of 5 and it gets quite cramped. But its cheaper for us to get one room there than two at a value. One definite plus is two bathrooms if you do two rooms! My kids are always fighting over the bathroom! LOL Have a great trip!

mom2morgan
12-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Each additional person more than two is another nightly charge.

I'm pretty sure that is just for adults. I don't think we've ever been charged extra for our children.

Strmchsr
12-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I will have to look into the 2 rooms at a value. I guess we would have to put 1 adult and 2 kids in each room. Can you book like that online or would I have to call? Thanks again!

I think you would have to call. Or, better yet, use Magical Journeys to make sure it all gets put like you want it!

LVT
12-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Connecting rooms have a door between the rooms and you could leave that open. That would make a nice mid- sized- kid bedroom, similar to at home.
I have heard that WDW works very hard to have connecting rooms when children are involved. We place a twin air mattress on the floor. I would think the pack'n'play would fit, if snugly.

WDWCrazyKaren
12-29-2010, 09:21 AM
I've also heard rumor that the POR renovations will add queen size beds to these rooms. If that is truly the case, the floor space will be even more diminished.

We were there last year with 4 of us, and we had one roll-away bed (the teen girl and boy did NOT share a bed!) and it was really tight in there. We really were only there to sleep, but it was still cramped. I could not imagine adding a crib/pack and play into that space. And this was with double beds!

I'd go for connecting rooms at the All Stars or Pop.

#1donaldfan
12-29-2010, 12:38 PM
The room is for sleeping and showering, so for us, a fam of 5 with everyone over 12 the only time your really "squished" is at night and early morning. I'd much rather stay at POR versus a value, no matter how "squished" we'd be....of course that just IMHO......:cool:

mom2morgan
12-29-2010, 02:47 PM
The room is for sleeping and showering, so for us, a fam of 5 with everyone over 12 the only time your really "squished" is at night and early morning. I'd much rather stay at POR versus a value, no matter how "squished" we'd be....of course that just IMHO......:cool:

YEP - I totally agree!! On the other hand, I can see the advantage of having a second room. We were at POR with a foster child (a teenage boy) and were required to have a separate room for him, so even though there were five of us we had to do adjoining rooms in the mansions section. but what was really nice about it (other than two rooms to shower in, which was great!) was being able to put my then-8 year old down to sleep while the rest of us were still awake. I think with the ages of this poster's kids it might be really nice to have a space for the two younger ones to nap or go to bed early while the 8 year olds are still up.