PDA

View Full Version : Whispering Canyon Cafe Dinner Dining Review 12/16

forever a child
12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
DD 16 and I had Dinner reservations for WCC at 7:35 on 12/16. We had spent the day at MK and it was one of the days where MK closed early for MVMCP. We had opted not to attend the Christmas party so we left MK shortly after 7 and took a boat to Wilderness Lodge Resort. This was our first visit to WLR, WCC and our first trip using the DDP.

By this point in our trip DD had developed a cold. She had started getting congested the evening before and I had thought ahead and brought decongestant medication just in case one of us needed it. She surely did.

We arrived at WCC and checked in with the hostesses for our 7:35 ressies. There were quite a few people there and it seemed busy but the wait was minimal. We had perhaps a 15 minute wait before we were seated. We were seated in the main dining area but again at a small table. It was loud there and DD was not feeling great. We were hungry though and looking forward to this meal. Our server was a lady and she was ok but not great. We knew they would do things, which she did...like tossing straws on the table and such...but she just was not as fun spirited as one of the younger servers next to us who seemed to have more fun with her tables. Perhaps it was us and the fact that since DD wasn't feeling well we came off as more reserved and unwilling for the comics...I'm not sure...but I noticed she seemed to have the same behavior with her other tables too. So I just don't think she was as good, IMHO.

Well, DD ordered the Steak, medium rare and an endless Chocolate shake. Her meal came with mashed potatoes and greens. I ordered the Canyon Skillet. So I got the corn bread which we shared and coleslaw which DD ate. It was really good and we both enjoyed it. I also received a salad which I finished completely. The Skillet came out and I got a beautiful photo of it...if anyone cares to see what it is. It was Ribs, Pulled Pork, BBQ Chicken and Beef Brisket; it also included Baked Beans and a small ear of corn on the cob. It was a LOT of meat and our waitress made some sort of comment about that too, but I didn't quite catch what she said.

Well, I ate the corn first which was good..then tried the brisket which was dry. I sampled the chicken which was decent then went on to the ribs, which I finished completely. I hardly ever order ribs but I enjoy them. While I was eating them...our server tossed over a large pile of napkins to our table and my DD started laughing at that. DD enjoyed her steak but she only at half. She said she couldn't taste it much either (from her cold). This was the first meal where we did not really finish all or most of our entree. There was way too much meat for me and DD's steak was a decent size too so we just had too much. Plus with DD being sick and she had not been swimming in a while...so I think her appetite was beginning to shrink a bit as the week progressed too(she swims competitively...so she usually eats a LOT!)

I know this goes against many here on Intercot but this was really our least favorite restaurant of the 6 TS's places we visited for the week. This is one of those places where we would have shared a meal and so thinking that I saved $ on the DDP is really not accurate. We would have been better off paying OOP and sharing a meal and not wasting all of that food (which was hard for us to do!) We have two dogs at home and whatever meat we didn't eat later on from a doggie bag would have definitely pleased our pooches with meat table scraps. :puppy:I didn't really think anything I got of the 4 meat choices from the Skillet was that exceptional. I did sample all four and I would have like a roll and made a sandwich of the pulled pork. But we both agreed that Flame Tree BBQ in AK was better. I didn't care much for the Baked Beans (which I normally love). The best part of the meal was DD's Chocolate Shake which was great!

We had a hard time getting refills for my drink, DD's shake and the only second I asked for was more corn on the cob which also took a long time for her to remember to bring. We asked for a doggie bag and took home DD's steak but I left all of the rest of the food and felt guilty for it too!

We would try this place again, hopefully a time when DD is feeling better and has a better appetite. But I would pay for it OOP and we would probably share our meal.

For desert we were not hungry, so we choose 2 fruit plates and I had some for snack later that night and for breakfast in the morning back in our hotel.

Our meal was $88.98 with tax (before the DDP was applied). You get a lot of food for that price, but I would have saved a lot of $ with one entree....two drinks and perhaps no desert that evening and it would have been a lot less.

faline
12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
We got a last-minute reservation one night when we were staying at Wilderness Lodge. We had a reservation elsewhere but canceled it because my husband wasn't feeling well. We were seated in the small back room by the fireplace which was perfect for the way my husband was feeling. Neither one of us ordered the skillet and we were both pleased with our meals.

Thanks for another excellent dining reivew!

forever a child
12-22-2010, 12:32 PM
We got a last-minute reservation one night when we were staying at Wilderness Lodge. We had a reservation elsewhere but canceled it because my husband wasn't feeling well. We were seated in the small back room by the fireplace which was perfect for the way my husband was feeling. Neither one of us ordered the skillet and we were both pleased with our meals.

Thanks for another excellent dining reivew!

Thanks Faline. I wish I had known that there was a small place back by the fireplace. I would have requested it. It would have probably been much nicer. But since this was our first visit...we really didn't know what to expect. We will still give this place a second try...but we will either share a skillet or try something new.:D

Melanie
12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Loving your reviews! I'm reading them all. :thumbsup:

Sorry this meal was less than stellar. A good server really does make a difference here, IMO.

forever a child
12-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Loving your reviews! I'm reading them all. :thumbsup:

Sorry this meal was less than stellar. A good server really does make a difference here, IMO.

Thanks Melanie. I am enjoying writing them! They are my way to "give back" because Intercot has always been an important tool for planning our trips! We read old posts to learn about resorts, dining and even what to pack. We have had such great advice form others here to help us make our choices (I even got a tip for great airline rates too). We feel like "pro's" now when we go to the parks and out to eat cause we learned it here from other Intercotee's first! LOL

lovin'fl
12-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the reviews! I also was not too thrilled with Whispering Canyon. We did a split stay and had deluxe dining for the second half, when we were staying at VWL. So, we did a lunch there and it was OK. We all (2 moms and 5 kids) got the skillet thing and they brought out 1 huge lazy susan filled with food. It looked better than it tasted. The kids LOVED the bottomless shakes though. We also did breakfast there on the morning we were checking out and I thought that was better.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the review

crltkcagle
12-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Just shows you how different peoples taste are. We love WCC and its a must do for us. Sorry you didn't enjoy it but thanks for the review.

rubato
12-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the review. We didn't enjoy this restaurant either. The food was just so-so. Our waiter was impossible to find for refills and he wasn't fun or funny at all. We even asked for ketchup and he just laughed. Didn't do anything.

7165red
12-23-2010, 04:28 PM
We have had xmas dinner there for the past four yrs. and will be going again this xmas. We usually sit in the back room. They have a special xmas menu and its great. They serve a platter with about 3 different meats and potatoes and veggie and you can have a refil on anything you like. We love the tree and fireplace and makes for a nice xmas day.Of course desert too.

KennyandKim
12-26-2010, 10:16 PM
We ate here on our last trip. We were in the back room which we didn't like because we felt like we missed alot not being in the main room. The food was definitely our favorite of all.

WDWCrazyKaren
12-27-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm sorry your daughter wasn't feeling well. That might be one of the reasons it just didn't go over well.

I look forward to eating here every trip. We are usually so full though, that we get our desserts to go. They make a great midnight snack---or breakfast!