PDA

View Full Version : Do you watch the WDW Christmas parade on TV?

plutosnana
12-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Do you watch the WDW Christmas parade on TV?
I sometimes get bored of watching it, other than that though, its cool when I see stars that I love. Do you watch it?

:goofy:

crltkcagle
12-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Yes and wish I was there the whole time!

Hair_Razor
12-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Christmas Tradition!! Every year, started a few years ago when our big gift to DS 9 then was going for his first trip that January. Now we are going again this year for birthday 14!! in January again. It get's us so pumped for our trip. Even when we don't have plans to go it's just fun to have in the background when opening gifts and enjoying our day!! :mickey:

Kenny1113
12-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes we do. I, like you, get bored with it though but I do leave it on. :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Yep, we watch it!

The last couple of years we have taped it, and then watched it in the afternoon (and you can skip any boring parts)

Mousemates
12-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Never more than about a minute or two, though we will occasionally leave it as background noise.

buzznwoodysmom
12-21-2010, 10:07 PM
I have never watched it. We are always on our way to family's houses. This year for the first time we are having Christmas at our house so it will be on in the background. I've already set it to record so that the kids and I can watch it later if we want.

princessjojo
12-21-2010, 10:20 PM
As many others we have it on, but more for background noise. The kids are so busy with christmas stuff, and DH & I are usually having a blast watching them or making breakfast. But as many of you have said, it IS fun to see all of the familiar places we've been into and are going to visit again soon...

ibrowse17
12-21-2010, 10:50 PM
While it always seems to be on in the background. I do catch everyone watching with a smile:thumbsup:

finaldynasty
12-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I am very similar to you. It is not a must watch for me. If it is on I will watch it.

:mickey:

Do you watch the WDW Christmas parade on TV?
I sometimes get bored of watching it, other than that though, its cool when I see stars that I love. Do you watch it?

PrettyMinnie
12-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I always turn it on but always seem to get distracted with the hustle and bustle of Christmas day!

grumpyguy
12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Of course,can't wait!!!
It always makes me wish we were there (minus the elbow to elbow crowds!!:mickey:

Gator
12-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I always watch it. It especially is good when it's during one of the 2 year stretches when we can't get back.

Now I DVR it and fast forward through Mariah.

faline
12-22-2010, 12:01 PM
I always try to watch it. I've only missed it twice - once when our local programming didn't carry it - I think it aired in the middle of the night which I didn't know about.

And...last year...when for some strange reason, I forgot all about it until it was over! I was annoyed with myself for not thinking about it!

PETE FROM NYC
12-22-2010, 06:43 PM
I have probably each and every one from the last 20 years or so on video. I still pull them out ocassionally, like when we are decorating our tree. I have found that the powers that be sometimes give previews of things to come, and it helps me keep up to date.

Katzateer
12-23-2010, 06:59 AM
I always watch it and sometimes tape it. That way if I miss parts of it I can watch what I want later.

This year I will be glued to the TV since our daughter danced in it. She is in the LEAD group for her parade dance number and is in the first row for the opening number, right behind a group of characters. So excited!!!!!!:yay:

Granny Jill A
12-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Used to watch it all the time, but lately it's a real snooze-fest. Love the comment about fast fowarding through Mariah. I'm so out of the pop culture loop, I don't recognize half the "stars" featured on the show. ;)

Tinkerfreak
12-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Was watching it with the family and DH said it was like one big Disney commercial and i think he was right. I still enjoyed it but I did find myself losing interest at times.

pego79
12-25-2010, 08:37 PM
What happened to Regis and Kelly this year?

cfoshe
12-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Watched it, but was very disappointed. I watch a parade for the parade not Ryan Cecrest. It seemed all about him, not the acts, the floats, the bands coming down main street.

forever a child
12-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Was watching it with the family and DH said it was like one big Disney commercial and i think he was right.

Never watched it until this year. I agree...seemed like one big Disney commercial. I don't know who ANY of those people are, LOL and I don't care to! I just like seeing and reliving being in Disney! Loved the floats and seeing a lot of the hardly ever seen characters!

TheRustyScupper
12-26-2010, 12:03 AM
Never more than about a minute or two, though we will occasionally leave it as background noise.

1) Ditto.
2) It has become just an ad for ABC & Disney.
3) Gets boring after a while.
4) But, as mentioned, it is good background noise.

Polynesian Dweller
12-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Rusty , you're right it's now just a big ad and the ad is filled with lip-syncing Disney Channel personalities. This year it was even worse than in past years. The parade and the parks were barely visible. Boring, boring, boring.

Altair
12-26-2010, 11:38 AM
When they did show the parade they went to that one second average shot length editing. Your eyes never had a chance to focus on the scene before it changed. It just caused motion sickness.:ill:

mickeys_princess_mom
12-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Yes and wish I was there the whole time!

Same here!!!:mickey:

Dsnygirl
12-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Nope... we always turn it on, but after catching a glimpse of the castle and Mickey, we're done. It's so artificial, makes Disney seem like one big crazy, hyped-up advertisement, not the wonderful, relaxing place I love. Plus, we enjoy our Christmas carols and watching each other, not the TV. That takes up too much of our time on "regular" days... ;)

hokies4life
12-26-2010, 10:32 PM
To be honest I forgot about it. :blush:

We were so busy with 20 people and 4 dogs in the house while opening our second round of presents. All the visiting and present opening was just so crazy that I don't think the TV got turned on almost all day.

Sounds like I didn't miss much though.

Laughin' place
12-27-2010, 01:52 PM
I am not a televised parade fan - in fact, I wouldnt say I like non-Disney parades much unless someone I know is performing.
That being said, for some strange reason I love the Disney Parks Christmas parade. Its a must for me every year, and I particularly enjoyed this year. I liked the "fan cam" shots that came from spectators and that were spliced into the telecast.

WDWCrazyKaren
12-27-2010, 01:58 PM
I watched a few minutes of it, but really didn't pay much attention. It was on while I was putting my makeup on, so I sat and watched it while doing that. The one thing that caught my attention was the Samantha Brown piece on the Disney Dream, when they showed the inside staterooms that have no porthole, the screen on the top of the headboard that showed real-time video of the ocean. Now that was great (even though I won't go on a cruise!).

Goes4FastPass
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
I think as long as you realize the whole program is an advertisement for Disney travel products (parks, resorts, DVC, cruise line) and Disney TV shows it's fun to watch.

The performances in front of Cinderella's Castle are not things I would generally stop to watch if I were in the park already.

I realize preteen girls (and their Moms) seem to love whatever "star of the new hit show on the Disney Channel" they see but where do they get the 50-something year old Dads they show in the audience?

DisneyGiant
12-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I watched most of it!

Its a total advertisement for all things Disney - but it makes me remember my happy visits there!

Buttercup
12-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I think as long as you realize the whole program is an advertisement for Disney travel products (parks, resorts, DVC, cruise line) and Disney TV shows it's fun to watch.

The performances in front of Cinderella's Castle are not things I would generally stop to watch if I were in the park already.

I realize preteen girls (and their Moms) seem to love whatever "star of the new hit show on the Disney Channel" they see but where do they get the 50-something year old Dads they show in the audience?
As always, I agree with Goes4FastPass. :thumbsup::mickey:

Greenlawler
12-27-2010, 11:40 PM
IMO it's over produced, over shot, and the stars over act. Drives me crazy when they have the celebs try to act spontanious when its obvious they are following a script. Anyways one long commercial is the accuarate analysis. The "fan cam" thing...pure cheese.

Kathy Jetson
12-28-2010, 01:51 AM
We have it on in the background and I tape it so I can watch it later and skip through the parts I don't want to see. I haven't watched this years yet.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately I have to agree with most posters. For a 2 hour show it was a lot about nothing. I probably fast forwarded thru more "acts" this year than in any year previously.

I enjoyed Nick Cannon but have never liked the smarmy self indulgement "Seacrest Out", so wasn't thrilled that he was the main guy.

I did enjoy the Samantha Brown bits as she's always been one of my favorite travel hosts and she's done a lot with Disney in the past.

I don't have a problem with it being a Disney infomercial, I mean why wouldn't it be? But I was disappointed with them not showing more of the parks instead of just the mainstreet floats. Unless I accidently fast forwarded thru it I didn't hear them mention anything about the FantasyLand expansion, although they mentioned the new expansion at California Disneyland.

We will always at least have it on or dvr it, but it certainly isn't a must watch. I think of all the acts the only ones we were really interested in were Selena Gomez for our girls and my DW likes Americas got Talent so she wanted to see Janet Evanco (which we happened to see her at the parks the day they were taping).

Goes4FastPass
12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
If we couldn't DVR the program and FF through most of it we wouldn't watch it at all?

Put me in charge next year. I'd include greetings from families and characters at

Fort Wilderness (great guest decorations!)
GF gingerbread house
Wilderness Lodge lobby
Epcot Candlelight Processional
Downtown Disney
Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club lobby decorations
Animal Kingdom
Disney Hollywood Studios
AND better Disneyland coverage + Disney parks outside the US.

crltkcagle
12-28-2010, 02:36 PM
I did watch it and felt like I was watching a "my wife Mariah" show. How many times did Nick cannon mention being married to Mariah or my wife Mariah? Thank goodness I recorded it so I could fast forward right through his scenes. It wasn''t all that great this year but it was still fun to see some of the characters that are never out during normal times.

plutosnana
12-29-2010, 10:59 AM
What happened to Regis and Kelly this year?

That's what I thought!! I was disappointed that they weren't on!

Belster
12-29-2010, 04:19 PM
We totally watch it and wish we were at the parks. LOVE to see my fav place on TV.

laysan
01-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Watched it! sort of.. was cooking. My parents were late getting here for christmas and my kids were still with there mom so the show really put me in a good mood before everyone go there!

Stu29573
01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
We watched it on DVR. Fast forwarded through some. The most fun was that we had just been to the MVMCP and we could spot the floats we had seen..but not for long, the camera didn't linger! Also, it seemed the guest cameras were something of a bust. There were very few of those shots included...

lovinmesomedisney
01-04-2011, 09:52 AM
We record it every year, because we are at Grandma's on Christmas morning while it is on. I take care of kids, so it is a great "movie" for them. They love it. I just skip through the parts they don't like, but they sure love seeing all the characters, dancers, and especially the rides. We have the past three years still on our DVR.

2Epcot
01-04-2011, 10:22 AM
I always watch it, when I remember it is on. The show has always been an ad for Disney, but the production style has definitely become more like an infomercial than the show had in the past.

SillySymphony
01-04-2011, 09:42 PM
I admit to recording it yearly, though I obviously have a professional interest in the event :cool:. But I can appreciate those posters who have noticed a change in the "ambiance" of the televised parade. Some years ago, Disney/ABC Entertainment passed the baton to Harborlight Entertainment whose work actually resulted in an Emmy just a few years ago. Personally, and professionally, I feel the original message has been lost along the way. What originally began as a way to share Disney Christmas Magic with families who valued the bonding experience has devolved into product hype. As for the Music groups who work with us during the Holidays however, the daily Christmas Parade down Main Street, USA continues to amaze and delight. Coupled with the Candlelight Processional, it offers outstanding opportunities to these fine, young performers to work in a truly professional arena, experiencing top-flight handling by Disney Creatives.

GottaLvDisney
01-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Not sure why, perhaps all the hustle & bustle of Christmas morning, but this was the first year we've watched it. I loved it, although it had me a bit sad that I wasn't there myself. Even DH got a little Disney reminiscent. Maybe I'm wearing him down little by little. :thumbsup: