PDA

View Full Version : Norway's Akershus Dinner Dining Review 12/15

forever a child
12-21-2010, 04:27 PM
DD 16 and I had 5:15 Dinner reservations at Akershus to dine with the Princess'. It had been a while since I had looked at information on this place so I forgot that they take your photo. I wish I had dressed nicer but it had been cold all week and so DD and I had our photos taken with Belle in her beautiful yellow ball gown while we wore fleece and sweat shirts that had kept us warm all day, LOL.

We were seated quickly but those table for 2 are often too small. Wish they cold make them just a few inches larger in each direction...but we make them work. Neither of us is large in size but you still feel in the way.

After they explained to us that we would serve ourselves through the cold buffet, DD ordered the Stuffed Pasta wich was stuffed with mushrooms and in a white cream sauce. I ordered the Beef Tips. I am not much of a cold deli meat person and neither of us are big on cheeses. We loved the warm rolls with butter (that were served at the cold buffet, LOL). Found more items for a fresh salad, yes! I had to help some guy decide which was blue cheese and which was ranch dressing after I caught him sticking his nose in the dressing ladle.:ack: Needless to say, I chose the vinaigrette salad dressing.

I tried the Salmon again here, but it was not nearly as good as what I had the evening before at Boma's so I didn't finish it.

When our meals arrived we were still wondering where the princesses were. We had not seen any except for Belle in the entryway. So finally DD saw Snow White around the corner. We enjoyed our meal. The beef tips were very tender and the flavor of the stew was interesting and good. There was a lot of corn in it. DD said she really liked her pasta. I tried a bit and it was ok but I was happy with my selection. We both cleaned our plates. I thought the serving sizes seemed a bit small but we were filled and really had no room for desert. But when the desert plate came, we shared the chocolate mouse cake. DD at all of the berries off of the other desert and we were full.

While we were finishing our meal...we were able to have brief visits with Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Ariel. Their gowns were all beautiful and although the visits visits were brief, I thought they were in Character much better than when we were at 1900 PF. The girls were all beautiful and soft spoken and seemed to be enjoying their time with the children. At one point they had a "Princess Parade" which include boys as well as girls. The children really seems to love to parade around the dining hall with all of the beautiful princesses. My daughter is 16, but if she were a young girl, I would have loved to have taken her here to parade around with all of the rest of the children. All of the parents and guests clapped at the end. And I saw a few tables that were like us....adults only who had stopped eating and were enjoying watching the "parade."

It was a nice place to eat...very pretty and it was much quieter than some of the other dinning halls...but I say "quiet" for Disney Character Dining...which is never really quiet, LOL.

Our meal was $85.18 with tax (Before DDP applied) and we received a beautiful 8x10 & 4, 4x6 sized photographs. Although the meal was expensive...it seemed worth it if you had a little girl who really wanted to meet these Princess, and the photograph. Not sure what they serve the younger children because I am sure what we chose would not really be approved but I am sure there was Mac and Cheese somewhere back in the kitchen. We might do this meal again...but since my DD is older...perhaps not.

faline
12-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Your experience is exactly why nutritionists I know NEVER dine at buffets! Buffets are not my favorite venue but we visited this spot for breakfast a couple of years ago. We found the overall expereince positive as well.

Your review was very well written! :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the report

PrettyMinnie
12-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I always look into to trying this place but never have. Perhaps the next trip as our whole group loves the Disney princesses, no matter the age! :minnie:

Gator
12-24-2010, 06:37 PM
I love this place. I've been there 4 out of 5 trips, and the food is always amazing. I always get this meatloaf-type thing. And I love the cold plate area. The smoked mackeral and the cheese is so yummy. Just talking about it makes me want to change my schedule around to eat there on my next trip. But the wife says time to try something new. Oh well.

mom2morgan
12-24-2010, 08:08 PM
My husband is Danish and German - he loves Akershus! And next trip I've promised him we'll do that again and try Biergarten as well :-)