PDA

View Full Version : Making the Perfect Trip

Gator
12-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Post 2011: In January of 2011, we'll be going on our next WDW trip. And as always, I try to make all the right decisions to make sure this is the "perfect trip". You know the drill: book your favorite resort, pick the perfect slow time with minimal ride closures, and getting all the perfect restaurants reserved for the family.

Yet all these things hardly make the perfect trip. They certainly make the trip better, but it's the little things that make it better.

For me, getting lots of that "special" time with the characters and live entertainment actors is what makes it the perfect trip.

So what things do you look for to make it that "perfect trip"?

paulsheri
12-20-2010, 06:17 PM
According to your signature, you have been there, several times, and you can produce your "best time", by just being "YOU", you're not a "newbe" to WDW. We have changed a lot since the "first time" and one thing is that we now do the counter service meals, it puts us too much on a schedule, to do reservations,of course, we are like a couple of kids, when we get to WDW,we Get to the bus stop at 7:00 am and get back to hotel ASmu, at 12:30 Do your best
and enjoy the "WORLD"

faline
12-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Perfect is never quite perfect but still special. I always expect something will go wrong and it usually does. I think how we react to what goes wrong is what makes or breaks our trip. For example, on a trip last May, we were really looking forward to staying at Port Orleans French Quarter in a king bed room. Unfortunately, there was a glitch in our reservation and we were assigned to a regular, double bed room. That didn't work for us and no king bed rooms were availabel anywhere (except at a price we were unwilling to pay). Disney worked with us and we were able to move to a king bed room at Coronado Springs. Not quite the trip we anticipated but, in the end, it all worked out. We had a wonderful time and there were features of our Coronado Springs room that we enjoyed more than we would have enjoyed at our French Quarter room.

The takeaway - an old adage - when life hands you lemons; make lemonade!!

lynnek
12-20-2010, 06:37 PM
We are currently planning our 2nd trip--I know, we just got back:) We were having the "perfect trip" discussion with the kids--what made it special, perfect etc. "Daddy getting lost all the time and then for no reason, other than lots of pixie dust, found us!" "Watching Mom go like at least 100 times on Triceratops Spin with baby." "Ordering anything we wanted off the menu...I miss the Dining Plan" "Mom screaming and closing her eyes on just about every roller coaster"

So I guess our perfect time so far was our first--that's why we are going back. For me, being able to actually relax on vacation is a huge plus--maybe have to schedule another spa treatment at the beginning of the vacation again next yr--puts one in the right frame of mind!

TheVBs
12-20-2010, 07:36 PM
Definitely our attitude! :mickey: There is no perfect vacation. There's usually something that won't go as planned, but if you have a great attitude and are prepared to go with the flow, that makes all the difference in the world.

alaMode
12-20-2010, 10:28 PM
We're in WDW right now and we're having a wonderful time!

This is our 7th trip in 3 years, so you can see we've had many perfect trips and keep coming back for more!

I like to take short 3-4 day trips, stay in a deluxe resort close to the MK (still my DS' favorite park), Have one fun TS meal (usually a character meal), Go to bed/wake up when we want to, and try 1-2 new things each visit.

So, for this 3.5 day perfect trip, we're staying at WL and enjoying the lovely holiday atmosphere for the first time. We had dinner at Chef Mickey's yesterday before MVMCP. We stayed until midnight, and slept in today. We didn't get to DS until noon, but that's okay because we stayed until 8pm and experienced the Osborne Lights for the first time. Tomorrow is our last morning here, so we'll spend it at MK and be back by noon to catch ME to the airport.

For the next perfect trip in late spring, I'm planning a surprise long birthday weekend for DS. We'll stay at the Polynesian b/c that's his fave resort. We'll ride every thrill ride at MK, AK, and DS (even the ones where you get soaked) and try the ToT and Kali River Rapids for the first time. We'll probably celebrate his birthday with the character meal at Cape May, although we've never had the Princess b'fast at Akershus either.

It should be another perfect trip, and I hope there will be many more after that!

rubato
12-21-2010, 05:33 AM
We'll be there in 2ish weeks for our 4th trip. What makes a "perfect trip" for me is to have everything planned, planned, and replanned and, when I get there, just let it all happen. I've done enough research that we can go with the flow. If we can't make it to dinner, we cancel and don't worry about it. If the park is too crowded, we leave and go to another park. My husband, who is a total control freak, by the way, has no idea what's next and loves it.

SBETigg
12-21-2010, 07:05 AM
I look for a mix of new experiences with the tried and true. I always look forward to some fine dining, and fun dining. We like our resort time as much as our park time, so there's always the debate on choosing our favorite resort or trying a new one. Last time, we rented the little water sprites to zip around the lagoon, that was new for us, and a lot of fun. I want to try a Segway tour, maybe next time. Adding new adventures helps keep return visits fresh and WDW has so much to offer.

crltkcagle
12-21-2010, 11:02 AM
A perfect trip for my husband is seeing and doing everything in WDW. He will make us go from rope drop till park close without stopping. He would even make our poor kids stay up till 2 am during EMH so that we could see and do everything. Now a perfect trip to me? My kids not having meltdowns and being cranky from running around like crazy people all day! :mickey: Maybe one day my DH will slow down but I don't see that in the immediate future.

MOJoe
12-21-2010, 12:53 PM
A perfect moment is elusive enough. A perfect vacation? Not sure it's possible. But what makes my vacations nearly perfect, is having everyone in my family happy and satisfied. Not an easy accomplishment, even at WDW.

My oldest son is a thrill seeker, so getting enough rides on Rockin Roller Coaster, Space and Everest is high on his list. My younger son is always looking for some odd, unique opportunity for a celebrity autograph or photo opp. So visiting during Star Wars Weekends and lining up 3 hours before the park opens is his goal. My wife doesn't want to miss some of the stage shows like Nemo and Beauty & the Beast. And an evening table service meal is always desired. And me? Well, slipping away for a drink is on my must do list.

Of course there are many other things we all enjoy and want to experience. And that's the problem. Keeping everyone satisfied all the time is difficult at best. But at WDW it is easier for everyone to have a great time. And that's why we keep returning.

TheRustyScupper
12-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Let's See, being part of shows or parades . . .
. . . Grand Marshall of MK afternoon parade
. . . Diamond Horseshoe stage show (twice)
. . . Hoop Dee Do show
. . . Float in Jammin' Jungle parade (twice)
. . . Dis-MGM Streetmosphere Players

(Wife also got to be in Indy Jones.)

PrettyMinnie
12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
I agree that the little things truly make the trip. For us it would be the TWO surprise trips we have taken. It always seemed to add to the magic of going to WDW! We have tried new things every trip that have wowed us that we talk about months after the trip. The silly pictures the end up be Christmas cards and of course the unexpected magic that happens when we are there. :minnie: