PDA

View Full Version : Which camera to buy?

edwards2301
12-19-2010, 09:53 PM
My husband ran over our camera so I am in need of a new one before Christmas! I am planning to spend up to $300. I take a lot of pictures of the girls and action shots inside and out. I am not a professional. Does anyone have any wonderful suggestions? i have liked a few Canon and Nikon cameras. Thank you ahead of time:mickey:

BellesRose
12-20-2010, 07:20 PM
My parents just gave me the new Canon Powershot SD4500 for Christmas. It took a little while to get used to it (We had our Christmas last Sunday so I've been using it just over a week) but it's relatively easy and it takes incredible pictures when you figure out what you're doing. They got it on sale for around $300. It just came out and if you look for Canon Your Second Shot on Google or Youtube, you'll see the new commercial which is when I first fell in love with the idea of it.

If you want some cheaper, they have some older versions of the same camera...but really, I recommend anything from Canon.

And no, I'm not a professional photographer, but I'd like to be and I always recommend Canon to everyone.

BraddyB
12-21-2010, 07:54 AM
I am a big fan of Nikons. I have an older Nikon P80 and a new Nikon D3100.

I see best buy has the Nikon p100 on sale which is the new model of my p80. Its a great point and shoot camera. Many scene options to choose from including sports mode. I can email some pics I took with my p80 to give you an idea of what it can do if it helps.

As far as brands I dont think you can go wrong with a Canon or a Nikon. I think it is alot to do with preference and what you were brought up using.

Ed
12-21-2010, 10:08 AM
My husband ran over our camera...

No real recommendation re: a camera, but may I suggest anger management and/or driving lessons for your DH ? :D

hoop de do
12-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I have a (digital) Pentax - 8.0 megapixels - 7X Optical Zoom.
It has a case that fits on my belt. Easy to get out and put back.
It's works great at the WORLD.
The only problem you may have is - Make sure you don't have it on if your hubby decides to back over it again.
Hope I Helped .

thrillme
12-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Olympus has some "TOUGH" cameras that are water proof AND "drive over" proof!!!

They can withstand dropping and having a truck drive over them and they are waterproof up to 10 ft or 30 meters (actually I think the lastest versions can go a little deeper). But the 10ft is perfectly fine for swimming and snorkling. If you plan on "scuba diving" you might have to get a scuba case.

Ed
12-22-2010, 10:33 PM
...and they are waterproof up to 10 ft or 30 meters (actually I think the lastest versions can go a little deeper). But the 10ft is perfectly fine for swimming and snorkling. If you plan on "scuba diving" you might have to get a scuba case.

I think you meant 3 meters; 30 meters is 98.4 feet. 10 feet is a little over 3 meters. :blush:

Olympus' website says their "Stylus Tough" cameras are waterproof between 10 feet and 33 feet, depending on which model you choose.

edwards2301
12-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Thank you so much for all of your input. I
especially love the comments about my husband:funny:
I went ahead and purchased a Nikon L110. I like it so far but it is kind of big. The reaction time is quicker after each shot. I can't wait to use it on our next trip to the WORLD.
Thank you and Merry Christmas. I will try to keep the camera away from my husband and his truck.:mickey: