PDA

View Full Version : a pool usage question...

mom2morgan
12-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I know people have come here before and asked if they can use the pool at another resort and the emphatic answer is "no", but I've often seen it suggested that if you WANT to use the pool where a family member is staying you can always ask for permission, especially if it isn't crowded. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done that successfully? We are considering a possible scenario where our daughter would be staying in a cheaper resort and hanging out with us through the day. We do NOT play to bend or break any rules- just wondered if that one was even worth a shot. And who exactly would you ask - go straigt to the lifeguard on duty, or ask at the concierge desk?...I'm shy and HATE asking for "favours" but wondered if it was worth a shot. ps - on a related note, I don't remember ever being asked in the past to show my room card at a pool, but I noticed in Disneyland that we had to have them all the time. I wonder if that is because the nonDisney hotels are so close that they've had a problem with people trying to "Sneak" in?

markyv
12-18-2010, 07:30 PM
I personally don't see why it would be a problem as long as one of you were staying at the resort pool that you are intending to use. You paid for use of that pool and that should include those who visit you at your resort of choice.

<snip>

CleveRocks
12-18-2010, 08:45 PM
I personally don't see why it would be a problem as long as one of you were staying at the resort pool that you are intending to use. You paid for use of that pool and that should include those who visit you at your resort of choice.
mom2morgan asked the question because it is specifically AGAINST Walt Disney World rules for anyone who is not a registered guest at that resort to use that resort's pool. In fact, at WDW, paying for the use of that pool does not include those who visit you. This isn't my rule or my opinion, it's a WDW policy.

Sorry, mom2morgan, I can't directly answer YOUR question. I've never asked. My total guess is that, like anything else, it can't hurt to ask. And you made it abundantly clear by the way you worded your post that you are not looking to break any rules ... I wasn't going to respond at all, but then when I read markyv's response I just wanted to set the record straight about Disney's pool hopping policy.

markyv
12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
mom2morgan asked the question because it is specifically AGAINST Walt Disney World rules for anyone who is not a registered guest at that resort to use that resort's pool. In fact, at WDW, paying for the use of that pool does not include those who visit you. This isn't my rule or my opinion, it's a WDW policy.

Sorry, mom2morgan, I can't directly answer YOUR question. I've never asked. My total guess is that, like anything else, it can't hurt to ask. And you made it abundantly clear by the way you worded your post that you are not looking to break any rules ... I wasn't going to respond at all, but then when I read markyv's response I just wanted to set the record straight about Disney'spool hopping policy.

I am quite familiar with the pool hopping policy, but if it is your home resort then it isn't quite pool hopping is it?

I would love for a cast member to come tell me that a guest of mine can't swim with me on my vacation that I paid for at the resort that am staying at. Let's just say that it would be my last stay with Disney.

It is totally different if you talking about going to another resort that neither of you are staying at.

mom2morgan
12-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I would totally understand if it was crowded - I guess I wouldn't want to have trouble swimming at my resort because of "guests'; but I'll hope that since I"m going in a slow season they'll accomodate my request, if necessary. Often Disney goes out of their way to say "yes" to requests as long as other guests aren't inconvenienced. I don't want to make any "waves" - here or there!

TammiMcMan
12-19-2010, 10:06 PM
I am quite familiar with the pool hopping policy, but if it is your home resort?

I would love for a cast member to come tell me that a guest of mine can't swim with me on my vacation that I paid for at the resort that am staying at. Let's just say that it would be my last stay with Disney.It probably wouldn't be a problem for one family to invite their son, daughter or cousin, etc. over for a day at their pool. However, there are hundreds of rooms at any given Disney resort. You may not be the only one inviting relatives staying elsewhere. If just a few other families decide to do the same thing, then you can start having unavailable lounge chairs for registered resort guests, plus possibly overcrowding in the pool. There's always a reason for a posted policy ;) .

Only the resort staff can okay having visitors by the pool. You would need to ask them that day and it would depend on the lifeguard staffing and how crowded the pool area is with registered guests. We've asked on occassion and haven't had a problem, but it's been during very slow times.

A way to stay "legal" without having to ask all the time, is if you are under the maximum occupancy number for your room. For example, if your room holds 4, but you have 3 registered, you can add your daughters name after check-in and even get a room key for her. Of course, you may incur an additional daily charge if you have more than 2 adults in your room, but you wouldn't have the inconvenience of having to ask the CM's if she can come and swim with you.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Just a practical comment here. Having only stayed at moderates I wouldn't know how anyone at the resort would know that you aren't a guest. It's not like you have to wear a wristband or to swipe your room card to get into the pool area. We swam most days on our recent visit and I can't recall anyone at the resort patrolling or asking people if they were guests of that particular resort.

So the technical answer is no, it's not Disney policy to allow pool hopping or having a non guest of that resort use the pool. <snip>

Scar
12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Direct from the WDW website:
Please note that pools are for use only for Guests of that specific Resort hotel.

teambricker04
12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Just a practical comment here. Having only stayed at moderates I wouldn't know how anyone at the resort would know that you aren't a guest. It's not like you have to wear a wristband or to swipe your room card to get into the pool area. We swam most days on our recent visit and I can't recall anyone at the resort patrolling or asking people if they were guests of that particular resort.

I want to say that at Stormalong Bay we had to show our room cards and that occasionally some one came by and asked to see it.

I have pool hopped, but it was before I realized it was a no no... whoops :blush:

I agree that it doesn't hurt to ask, but be prepared to hear a no.

mom2morgan
12-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Well, and I think the "nicer" the pool, the more likely they are to check. I can see that if people are going to break the rules they are more likely to "upscale" - I can't imagine a guest at the Beach Club, say, going to the Pop to swim with friends! LOL I won't get into the whole "how would they know" because I know that Intercot doesn't allow ANY posting about bending/breaking/ducking official Disney rules - but I WILL say that when I was in Disneyland this summer we had to swipe or show a room card to an attendant EVERY time we went into the main pool. One attendant ALMOST sent my 11 year old up to the room to get her own personal card, but decided to "give us a break" because both my husband and I were there with our cards. I thought THAT was a little silly, since it isn't very likely a child is "hopping" on their own...but I think the problem there is that there are a LOT of non-Disney hotels very near by and most don't have nice pools

CleveRocks
12-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I would love for a cast member to come tell me that a guest of mine can't swim with me on my vacation that I paid for at the resort that am staying at. Let's just say that it would be my last stay with Disney.

It is totally different if you talking about going to another resort that neither of you are staying at.Simply put, you are creating a policy that doesn't exist. Just because you think it should exist doesn't mean it does exist.

TammiMcMan
12-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Question asked and answered as per Disney's posted policy. Thank you.