PDA

View Full Version : Making the most of Tom Sawyer Island

Awesome_guy
12-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Hello fellow Intercotees,

Is the morning paintbrush search on Tom Sawyer Island all still a go (is it seasonal, over-and-done-with, intermittent, each-and-every-day)? Has anyone done it quite recently? I'm assuming this isn't a kids-only adventure.

We're two adults... what else would be over there for us? Any interesting sights or particularly good places for some calm?

For some reason I have this place on the brain... and don't think I made it over there my last few trips.

-T

disneymom15
12-16-2010, 09:21 AM
If memory serves me, someone here just recently found the paintbrush. Can't remember who it was, maybe someone else recalls who that was.

Mousemates
12-16-2010, 10:53 AM
as far as i know the paintbrush is still a go...as is the key under the mat at Muppets. As far as making the most out of Tom Sawyer Island as adults--not really sure... perhaps a bit of people watching either (kids playing at the fort or adults maneuvering on the floating barrell bridge)

MaxPower
12-16-2010, 11:05 AM
I was in the Magic Kingdom (around 9:10am) early one morning last week and Big Thunder Mountain was unexpectedly "not operating" when we approached to ride it.

Since we were literally standing at the entrance to the queue for Tom Sawyer's Island, we decided to go ahead and go explore it - something I have not done in 15 years.

While waiting for the raft to take us over, I saw a girl over on the island with a paintbrush in her hand - so yes, they are still hiding paintbrushes to be found.

Once on the island, I would say there were maybe 8 people total on the island at that time in the morning, We went in different directions, and I truly felt as if I were on the island competely alone. If you are looking for calm, go early in the morning.

Two things stood out in my mind:

1) Exploring the first cave reminded me of when I was first in it as a child. It is extremely long and very dimly lit - I'm surprised that Disney has not put flood lights in the cave now because of their obsessiveness with safety. At times, we literally had to feel the walls to figure out where to turn next and I had to squeeze through some openings that I figure some bodies in 2010 might have some trouble getting through. I thought it was great- it really felt like a cave where you had no idea how you might get out of there.

2) We were in the fort all by ourselves. I had forgotten that they had rifles up in the top of the fort roof that you can aim and they make a gunshot sound when you pull the trigger. Even funnier is that two of them are aimed directly at the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad- so basically as a trains make their way around the coaster track, you can aim and shoot at the people in the trains with your rifle. That is the stuff little boys love. We spent a good 20 minutes exploring the fort without seeing another human. It was a unique experience in the always-busy Magic Kingdom. I'm surre when it's BUSY, the fort and the caves seem crowded and noisy, but if you go early in the morning, you'll probably rekindle your fondness for the island.

Mogie
12-16-2010, 01:20 PM
I had the same kind of experience on the island this year. I hadnt been there since i was a kid in 1986. I remember the caves and the fort being enormous and fun to explore, and spending an hour just shooting the toy rifles while my parents got to sit and rest for a bit. Going back this past year I was amazed at how tiny the Fort and island was, but exactly how I remembered it. The darkness in the caves surprised me too. Easy for a kid to get scared in the dark or even hid in a corner.

Captain_Nemo
12-16-2010, 09:53 PM
Exploring the Cave and the Abandon Mine or worth riding over for alone! :mickey:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Were were there a few weeks ago. My wife and 2 girls were on the island while I took our middle girl on Splash Mountain. After SM we took a raft over to TS Island. To be honest, I wasn't really paying all that much attention, just soaking in the scenery. But I am pretty certain I recall the raft operator sayin "If you find a paint brush, return it to me and I'll give you a free fastpass" or something very similar to that.

So I guess the partial answer is "yes, they are still doing it."

MCeee
12-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Yep... we were there Nov. 6-13, and I found a paintbrush on Tom Sawyer Island. I turned it in, and they offered me a fastpass good for my entire party for either Splash or Big Thunder. We took Splash and had a blast!!

DisneyFr33k
12-18-2010, 08:07 AM
as far as i know the paintbrush is still a go...as is the key under the mat at Muppets.

This is new to me.... what is the key under the mat at Muppets?

rubato
12-18-2010, 12:37 PM
When we found our paintbrush in Jan., Splash was closed and we had just ridden Big Thunder 3 times in a row, so we were given a "Use on any ride" fast pass. VERY nice to have, believe me. :thumbsup:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-20-2010, 04:40 PM
This is new to me.... what is the key under the mat at Muppets?

When you walk into the Muppet theater there is a ticket office window on the right side with a sign that says something like "temporarily out - key under mat". I'm sure probably 9 out of 10 people just read it and move on. But if you actually lift up the mat, there is a key under it. It's embedded in the floor, you can't actualyl pick it up (I told my 8 year to pick it up - she didn't appreciate the joke when she couldn't).

It's nothing big, just a nice little Disney touch.