PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha, Hoop-Dee-Doo or skip it all together?

mom2morgan
12-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Please comment on food, entertainment and value :0)

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
We've only been to Hoop De Doo, we enjoyed it but my son absolutely loved it and has declared it as a must do next trip....the entertainment is slap stick corny humor and the food is decent....menu: fried chicken, ribs, salad, beans, cornbread and strawberry shortcake

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-15-2010, 07:19 PM
We're fans of Hoop-Dee-Doo too!

We've been a number of times (about every other trip), and are going back this trip.

It is quite funny, really entertaining and the food is good (and all you can eat). If you've never done it, I would go for it for sure :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
We've never been to the Luau (and the menu really doesn't appeal to us)... but do fondly remember HDD. My DS asked for us to go again and I'll be looking how to fit it in, for our next trip. The show is corny but funny, and we remember the fried chicken as being really good.

BugeyedMuggy
12-15-2010, 08:14 PM
We have been to both and Hoop de Doo is alot of fun. The Luau is a waste of money. The food is bad and the entertainment is fair at best. HHD is funny and the food is good. My DH was in the show twice in the few times we have gone.

TheVBs
12-16-2010, 10:40 AM
We've only done the luau. We had great food! The show was 50/50. The acting scenes were just ok, but the dancers were fantastic! Glad we did it once, but we have no desire to do it again.

mom2morgan
12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
We've only done the luau. We had great food! The show was 50/50. The acting scenes were just ok, but the dancers were fantastic! Glad we did it once, but we have no desire to do it again.
That's where I was leaning. My husband LOVES O'Hana's so the menu at Aloha seems similar. I really want to see the fire dancers, but I've heard a ton of negative reviews about the rest of the show.

DizneyRox
12-16-2010, 03:37 PM
If you want to see fire dancers, head on over to Festival of the Lion King at AK. I wouldn't waste my time heading back to the luau...

The HDD is one of our favorites, and we go at least once per trip. The show is pretty corny and the food is fairly good as well. It's comfort food, not great, not bad, but good!

As far as value, if you're thinking of blowing two dining plan credits on either, I would pass. They are best paid for OOP.

lovin'fl
12-16-2010, 05:52 PM
We've done both. They were both a good time and good eatin'. Both come with adult beverages, so that's a plus for us. :thumbsup:
I do hate to use 2 TS on them since we've already done them (but I recommend for a newbie) and they are expensive oop. My DH, however, loves them and wants to do one or the other or both when we go in August. I was hoping to do a signature (2TS) that we have not done yet, like the Yachtsman or Citricos or Narcoosees or Cali Grill. I am trying to talk him into the deluxe plan so we can do all of these, but no luck thus far. Anyway, the food is good at both and my family enjoyed the Luau and the HDD. I would recommend trying either one. If you do the Luau, get the later time when it's dark and also try to see the fireworks (I think from MK) from the beach. Fun!!!

faline
12-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I'd highly recommend Hoop De Doo. It's a high energy show - corny, sure - but it's loads of fun! Although some love the food here, I'd rate it as average. The draw here is certainly the entertainment - not the food.

We'd done the luau a few times before they changed the format and really like it - as authentic as any luau you'd attend in Hawaii. However....we went a year or so ago to the new format show and we were not impressed. The best part of the show is the fire dancer but, as noted, you can seet his at the Lion King (at no extra cost). The good was decent here but I'm certainly not rushing back!

mom2morgan
12-16-2010, 07:40 PM
I didn't realize there were fire dancers at the Festival of the Lion King - thanks for that! I remember you saying before that the Luau is not worth it. Would you say the food is equivalent to O'Hana's or not as nice? I can't recall if you even like O'Hana's! ;-)

If you want to see fire dancers, head on over to Festival of the Lion King at AK. I wouldn't waste my time heading back to the luau...

The HDD is one of our favorites, and we go at least once per trip. The show is pretty corny and the food is fairly good as well. It's comfort food, not great, not bad, but good!

As far as value, if you're thinking of blowing two dining plan credits on either, I would pass. They are best paid for OOP.

DizneyRox
12-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Not a fan of Ohana's either. It's overrated IMHO.

It's been MANY years since the Luau and I can still close my eyes and remember the taste of the dry chicken (think cardboard) and disgusting dessert they put on our table. And then to just present a fashion show was just the icing on the cake. I really have no desire to try my luck again at that place...

I could possibly be convinced to try Ohana's again, but with so many other places on property to try (we just tried Tony's recently) I don't see that happening for a while.

Regarding the fire dancers are FotLK, I just say that because if that's the draw, you would be better served at AK and save your money for something else. From what I remember, the Fire Dancer at the Luau wasn't much different than the part within the FotLK show. Maybe a three minute or so display...