PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Tom Sawyer's Island...

Septbride2002
12-15-2010, 01:05 PM
With the closure of the Winnie the Pooh play area the only place I can think of to let my rather rowdy 2 year old down to explore is going to be at Tom Sawyers Island. We've been to Disney multiple times and have never ventrued over to TSI.

So what is it all about? I always pictured it more for kids agest 4 or 5 and up. I know my 4 year old will love it. But is there enough running around room for my 2 year old that won't send me into a panic attack?

~Amanda

rubato
12-15-2010, 02:57 PM
There's lots of running around room, BUT.... I would be worried about losing my child. There are trails and caves. There are a few more open areas that, once you get to them, you could let him run a bit. I let my husband and 10 year old wander off and I couldn't find them for about 20 minutes. That was my fault having never been over there before. I just didn't realize how big it was. But, we loved it and we found a paintbrush, so my son was very proud (even though I'm the one who found the paintbrush).

Evil Genius
12-15-2010, 03:11 PM
The island is a great place to let young ones blow off some steam. As it tends to not be all that crowded it's a nice place in general to sort of escape the Magic Kingdom crowds for a little while.

I'll say this, we used to enjoy it more when Aunt Polly's was open and we could grab a quite lunch there...but it's still nice.

joonyer
12-15-2010, 05:03 PM
There is a playground area on TSI also, but you'll have to keep a close eye on a two year old. TSI is a big area, consisting of two islands, and it would be easy to lose sight of a 2 year old very quickly. Like someone else mentioned there are caves and tunnels, easy to hide or get lost.

My boys loved the place, but they were 6 & 9 on our first visit. We let them run all around and blow off energy while DW & I rested in the rockers on the porch at Aunt Polly's. Nice!

LVT
12-19-2010, 09:12 AM
I think he will enjoy the "Fort" area. Getting there he cannot run loose, but it is an adventure trail. With close attention, he can do some of the adventures. We enjoy getting away from sidewalks and crowds.

finaldynasty
03-09-2011, 01:44 PM
I agree with the PP that this area would be a good area for your young ones. It is a good way to let them run and climb and use their imaginations. I wished we had venture over to the island before last summer as my DS 8 loved it. We saw several families who had young ones. I think your kids would love the short boat ride over as well.

Enjoy!

MommaMouse
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
We spent some time there with our 21mth old last November. It was a great area to let loose (with supervision of course). The caves are really dark and I recall there being a somewhat dilapitated bridge over water inside a cave. I was a little amazed that it seemed so much in disrepair as my rambucitious boy would surely have gone off the rail had I not been there holding his hand.

ransam
03-09-2011, 11:50 PM
you know i never really have explored the island, maybe next time i go i will

johnO
03-10-2011, 08:05 AM
We love TSI. Get there early and find a paint brush...

forever a child
03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Every trip we try and find a new place that we have overlooked and never visited before. Our trip last May led us to TSI. Although I do not have little ones....I know that it would be a great place to come with them. As others have mentioned...it is not crowded and as long as you can keep up with them...there is so much space to explore. I grew up in the country as a child and got to do a lot of play and exploring outside during the summer months. Being here reminds me of that time. The fort, the caves and trails and the playground are great for all ages. It is also great place to explore and get some photos from a different perspective of the "mainland". I am looking forward to exploring it again during our next trip. DD is 16 and she loved it too! She wants to find a paintbrush during our next trip!:mickey:

Aurora
03-10-2011, 01:57 PM
When I was a teen my sister and I were allowed to go off by ourselves for awhile and we wound up on Tom Sawyer Island. We loved it! We ran around reading the signs out loud and just acted like little kids. More than 30 years later (yikes!) I still remember what a great time we had.

RBrooksC
03-10-2011, 02:52 PM
When my son was 17 months, we took him to TSI. We explored the island with him. I found, unless you let the child run wild, losing the child really isn't going to happen. That area is designed for children to run with reckless abandon.

erickahome
05-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Can someone please explain the paintbrushes to me I'm not familiar with them. We will be going to WDW in September with DD8:mickey::mickey:

Fastpasssteve
05-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I must say that, now that I'm 42, I enjoy the rocking chairs there on the Island more than the caves.

NJGIRL
05-01-2011, 02:18 PM
My son who is 13 still loves this place. Of course he and his cousin are old enough to run around on their own now so me and my husband find a seat and relax or play checkers.

Two things I suggest: Put a time limit on how long you stay. Our limit is 30 mins. And make sure you bring over something to drink. The time of year we go, the refreshment stand is closed, the kids are always thristy over there. I don't know if it is the hot trip over to the island or all of the running around. They do have a soda machine there but unless you have unfolded dollar bills you are out of luck.

As far as the paint brushes go, they are hidden on the island, I believe 5 or 6 of them. If you find them a cast member will give you a certificate or a fast pass (can't remember which). I believe that most of the time the brushes are found as soon as the island opens. Make that your first stop if it is important for your kids to find them.