PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Visitors planning to come and they just got "rid" of bed bugs!!!

Mammabruski
12-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Seriously worried here. So here's the deal: Friends of ours are making a cross country trip and were planning on stopping at our house both ways to visit and rest. But they called my hubby on Saturday and said they just found out they had bed bugs, and they think they got rid of them all. According to DH, they were using heat to kill them. Apparently, they steamed the mattress with a hand held steamer, and put anything they could in the dryer on high heat. I really doubt they got rid of all the bugs. I don't even know if I want them here, unless they've been certified as bed bug free by an exterminator. And they are bringing two dogs. Can dogs carry the bed bugs?

What should I do?! I know what I want to do (contrary to DH), which is tell them they can't visit... but is there a safe way to see them? Leave their luggage in the car? I have a bad feeling about this. It's like when we had my DH's bosses' family over for dinner just after they had a stomach virus. I didn't want them, but DH insisted that it would be fine, and low and behold my kids were sick 36 hours later.

Does anyone have any advice or input? Is there a way to prevent bed bugs if you know you will be exposed to them? Eek!

kakn7294
12-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I paid close attention to a recent local news report on bed bugs since I work in a hospital and worry about bringing them home from patients and/or their families - here's what I remember: High heat is one of the ways to rid your home of bed bugs but it's got to be done right - temps higher than 120 degrees for extended periods. And they should inspect areas other than the beds for the bugs - they can hide under other furniture, in cracks and crevices, in clothing and suitcases, and are attracted to electral outlets and warmth. They can live for up to a year without feeding. The dogs can certainly be bitten but they are not usually a carrier as humans are the preferred food source for the bugs. The best method of control is usually a combination of methods - chemical, heat treatments, and physical barriers (sealing in plastic bags or using double-sided on furniture legs, etc). There are currently no treatments that will keep them out of your home except for avoiding introducing them in the first place. I agree with you - I'd want an expert certification that the bugs are gone before I let these people into my home.

princessgirls
12-15-2010, 09:35 AM
I would maybe politely ask them, in light of the fact that they fully told you about the bugs, to keep their suitcases in your garage, and maybe you can give them plastic bags to keep all of their clothing in...

There is no easy answer here.

Good Luck!
Julie:mickey:

Dulcee
12-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Oof, not a fun situation by any means.

I would not feel too badly about having to take the offer back. This is not something I'd want to introduce to my home, especially since you have children.

If you don't feel comfortable taking your house off their travel plans maybe politely ask that any fabric luggage not be brought into the house? I remember seeing a news report that plastic or hard luggage is much less likely to carry the little bugs.

Good luck!

SBETigg
12-15-2010, 10:45 AM
This family has not eliminated the bugs. As Kathy said, they spend much of their time in the walls. You can minimize your risks, but I wouldn't be feeling great about a visit from them, either. The dogs are probably fine, but the luggage concerns me. I wouldn't be able to tell friends not to visit, and I assume they're close friends since they are staying with you and told you about the bed bugs (which I wouldn't be talking about with just anyone ). In which case, you can be honest with them about your fears.

Things I've read (lots of NY friends) Pull beds away from the walls, like about six inches-- so that if they bring them into your beds, they won't crawl from beds into the walls. Wrap two sided tape around the bed feet, to catch bugs that might try to spread out. Bed bugs don't jump, they crawl, so you can take some isolating steps. Encase mattresses in a plastic case, so any bugs coming in won't get into the mattresses permanently. Insist (it's awkward, but necessary) that if they bring the luggage in, they contain it in a large plastic bag (which will keep any hitchhiker bugs from spreading to your environment). Bedbugs don't usually come out in daytime and will most likely stick to the crevices in the luggage and crawl out from there, probably won't be on the clothing of your visitors or on their dogs. And then, of course, meticulously inspect once they're gone and do some high heat laundry. But keep in mind that they were honest with you, which is great, when they could have not mentioned it, and also that any visitor could introduce them to your home if they picked them up unaware of it, not even overnight visitors, and you can't just ban the whole world or live in fear. Life goes on (just preferably bug free).

Mammabruski
12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks, everyone! Great advice. I figured we'd ask them to leave their luggage in their car. Protecting the mattress is a great idea, too.

Since we're forewarned, will just be extra vigilant!

Mousemates
12-15-2010, 12:27 PM
please let us know how things go after its all over and done.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Well, for one I wouldn't put you in that situation...if they say they "think" they are rid of them it means they have doubts...don't feel bad for asking them to come another time.

Magic Smiles
12-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Since they brought up the subject of bedbugs I would kindly suggest that they stay at a hotel and get together for dinner at a restaurant.

diz_girl
12-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Sure, let them stay with you.

Just as long as they agree to pay for any and all extermination costs PLUS the replacement cost of anything in your home that becomes infested that you have to throw away.

NotaGeek
12-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks, everyone! Great advice. I figured we'd ask them to leave their luggage in their car. Protecting the mattress is a great idea, too.

Since we're forewarned, will just be extra vigilant!
Sad to say, there is no vigilance against bedbugs. They are a plague all over the USA and they are one of the most resilient pests ever -- do some research and check out exactly how volatile and expensive an infestation can be -- but it seems you have already made up your mind about letting them stay with you, so not sure what the point was. Good luck!

Melanie
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm thinking you are a REALLY good friend. I couldn't do it.

kakn7294
12-16-2010, 01:42 AM
I'm thinking you are a REALLY good friend. I couldn't do it.I agree!

Oh, and that was supposed to say double-sided tape in my previous post. It seems I somehow forgot to type the word tape!

TheVBs
12-16-2010, 10:51 AM
You are a very good friend! I would have to say no. If we had an infestation here, I just don't know how we would come up with the funds to pay for the extermination. And, from my understanding, only a professional extermination will work. I think there are a lot of great suggestions here though! Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy time with your friends and prevent any issues.

Mammabruski
12-16-2010, 10:57 AM
Here's an update... After reading your posts, I decided to put my foot down. I told my husband it was way too risky. He and I are usually on the same page, and rarely disagree, but I just can't let them stay at our house. So I told him we'd pay for them to stay in a Hotel tonight and meet them for dinner (Good idea Magic Smiles). I told my DH he could hang out with them all day (that won't be a problem, will it?) I can't imagine that they wouldn't understand. Actually, I'm kind of shocked they didn't cancel their trip entirely. I wouldn't risk giving all my family and friends bed bugs.

Now my DH wants me to commit to having them stay when they come back across the country in January, assuming that their families don't get bed bugs... What do you guys think about that? I just don't think it would be wise. Sigh.
:(

princessgirls
12-16-2010, 12:20 PM
After your husband spends time with them, he should take off all attire, coat and all, and Wash and Dry on HOT. I have read that these things are hitchhikers on clothing too.. and the heat will kill them if they are on your clothing.

You should have seen my and my coat in NYC, I wouldn't let it out of my sight, I checked my seat carefully before I sat down in the theater and laid my coat across my lap and kept it with me while we dined...so afraid of just one bug getting on me and multiplying.
When I came home from my outing in the city, I undressed right in the laundry room and washed my clothes right away...a little over the top? Maybe...NYC is the Bed Bug Capital of the US! Not taking any chances!!!
I think you made the right decision.
Julie:mickey:

Dulcee
12-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Now my DH wants me to commit to having them stay when they come back across the country in January, assuming that their families don't get bed bugs... What do you guys think about that? I just don't think it would be wise. Sigh.
:(

I think you should pull up some pictures of bed bugs and maybe give him an idea of what an exterminator charges to get rid of said bugs. He may just change his mind.

If not, I'd continue to put my foot down. Your not saying you can't spend time with them. Personally your being very reasonable.

Mammabruski
01-12-2011, 11:32 AM
UPDATE

I thought I'd let ya'll know what happened with this situation... They never made it to Colorado. They ran into some serious car trouble in Utah, were stuck there for a few days, ran out of money fixing the car, and ended up going back home to California.

And guess what they found when they got home... yep, more bed bugs! So the car breaking down was really a message (perhaps). They would've brought bed bugs to all their friends and family across the country!!! Anyways, they called an exterminator...

I totally dodged a bullet there! My DH was pretty of mad at me when I put my foot down, but boy did he swallow his pride and apologize when he heard they were still infested! I took the high road and didn't throw it back in face. ;)

Thanks to everyone with your sound advice! :mickey:

SBETigg
01-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Maggie, so glad it worked out for you. So glad! Sorry for them, but you didn't want or need their problem.

faline
01-12-2011, 12:07 PM
UPDATE

I thought I'd let ya'll know what happened with this situation... They never made it to Colorado.

Sounds like it worked out for the best for you. Unfortunately, they are likely going to need to spent a fair amount of money to rid themselves of the issue. Bedbug extermination is not a do-it-yourself project.

luvdiznee
01-12-2011, 12:09 PM
OP, glad you got some ideas and I hope things go well for you. :thumbsup:

roses
01-13-2011, 12:23 PM
This seems to becoming more and more of an epidemic - what is going on??? I hear it on the news all too often - makes me want to just stay home :humph:

kakn7294
01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Sorry for their car troubles but it sounds like it worked out for the best.

KylesMom
01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Maggie, way to trust your instincts - even though your DH thought you were being totally paranoid! While I'm sorry they encountered all of the problems they did, at least they aren't "paying it forward" with the bed bugs!