PDA

View Full Version : Expedition Everest for a Non Roller Coaster person?

Rachie
12-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I have found a way to get out of going on Everest everytime we've been to DW. My husband told me he's going to insist on me going this time around & that it's not all that bad. He said the only real drop is the one you see from the outside. Is he pulling my leg? How bad is it? :confused:

lynnek
12-14-2010, 03:22 PM
It's not too bad, really!!! Just refuse to sit in the first car...I made that mistake...

cannotbelieveweowndvc
12-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I also am another that would never ride it. Rode it for first time last year and can't wait to get back on. I was sooo scared! :( The worst part for me was the backwards part and I was kinda queasy at my stomach afterwards. My eyes were closed from that point till we got back to station. lol. But now that I know what to expect I definatley will get back on!!

vicster
12-14-2010, 03:50 PM
It's too much fun not to do it! Go for it!

WDWdriver
12-14-2010, 04:03 PM
It's true that the only "drop" is the one you see from outside the mountain, which is mild. The rest of the ride is sometimes fast, but really not scary. There is a portion of the ride (about 20 seconds) that is backwards and in the dark. Again, this portion is fast, but it's not a stomach-dropping experience. The best part is the awesome view of WDW when the train stops momentarily at the top of the mountain. I'm not a roller coaster lover, but I like this ride.

magicman
12-14-2010, 04:05 PM
There aren't any major drops; however, I would note that it has all other aspects of a roller coaster (speed, quick turns, small drops). Also, it is one of the few roller coasters that I've been on that makes me a bit queasy as it exerts negative g-forces upon you. (It seems to push me down in my seat.)

It's fun, but I wouldn't want someone to get on it with the thought that it isn't really a roller coaster. It definitely is.

mousejunkie
12-14-2010, 04:35 PM
My sister and I have had motion sickness problems since childhood but we really wanted to ride Everest. So, we took our meds and rode it. I felt bad for 2 hours afterwards and my sister was violently ill for 3 1/2 hours. We had to get help from WDW Security, paramedics, and the AK Guest Relations Manager to get out of the park and back to our resort (ASMu). I doubt that we will ever try to ride Everest again!!

Mousemates
12-14-2010, 04:59 PM
While it is a real coaster...its not a pure white knuckler by any stretch of the imagination...the drop are relatively mild and speeds are not turbo fast...however it is still a pure thrill ride and the special effects, coupled with the darkness and reversal of direction can make it disorienting and (for some) nausea inducing.

So if the reason for your fear is related to mammoth drops at high speeds you will likely be fine...but if its more of a nausea issue you might want to give it a pass

SBETigg
12-14-2010, 05:24 PM
It all goes by so fast that you hardly know what is happening before it's over. There is the one pause to build suspense, but use it to take in the sights, look for details, and be amazed at the awesome theming. And then, whoosh, you're off-- and you will wonder how it's over so quickly and maybe want to do it again. You are strapped in such a way as to feel completely secure in your seat, so no worries there. Yes, it is a roller coaster, but not super intense-- except obviously some people have reactions to coasters and no one should make you go on. But if you're ready to give it a try, I think you can do it. Have you tried Big Thunder Mountain in the MK? It's a less intense place to start, if you haven't tried any coasters at WDW.

Briansmom
12-14-2010, 06:09 PM
It's not too bad, really!!! Just refuse to sit in the first car...I made that mistake...

It's funny, but I have just the opposite advice for you as far as the drop is concerned......

I, too, was very afraid to ride EE, but trip before last, my good friend talked me into it while my daughter waited on the sidelines for us (she is deathly afraid of drops). We rode in the first car and as I told my daughter afterwards, the drop was really not that bad. It is not straight down like SM, it is on a curve so not as intense. Fast forward to our last trip where I was the one insisting that DD go on EE this time because the drop was not that bad. Well, we ended up in the very back of the train, and as I live and breathe, my tummy was a little tumbled when we got off. My DD was not happy with me as she kept saying..."I thought you said the drop wasnt that bad???!!!??" I told her I honestly didnt remember it being that intense. We went back on it cuz I thought maybe I am losing my mind? This time we were in the back again....and same reaction. It was then that I realized that the first time I went on it I was in the front and when you are going down that drop you see on the outside, it is much worse if you are in the back of the train. My husband (who is not afraid of these things at all) totally agrees. Front is better for those who are afraid of the drop.
Also, the backwards part can be a little disconcerting if you are not prepared for it. I keep my eyes close usually during that part and I am just fine. It sort of feels like you are going backwards up and around an upside down cone shape. I have no idea what it is...that's just the 'impression' I get when I have my eyes closed...lol.
Hoping I havent scared you to death.....because I am not a big roller coaster fan....and I now love EE. AND, even more convincing than that is that DD loves EE as well. Trust me...that is saying a WHOLE LOT!! :mickey:

faline
12-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm a true roller coast chicken but love Expedition:Everest!

magicofdisney
12-14-2010, 06:50 PM
It's funny, but I have just the opposite advice for you as far as the drop is concerned......

I, too, was very afraid to ride EE, but trip before last, my good friend talked me into it while my daughter waited on the sidelines for us (she is deathly afraid of drops). We rode in the first car and as I told my daughter afterwards, the drop was really not that bad. It is not straight down like SM, it is on a curve so not as intense. Fast forward to our last trip where I was the one insisting that DD go on EE this time because the drop was not that bad. Well, we ended up in the very back of the train, and as I live and breathe, my tummy was a little tumbled when we got off. My DD was not happy with me as she kept saying..."I thought you said the drop wasnt that bad???!!!??" I told her I honestly didnt remember it being that intense. We went back on it cuz I thought maybe I am losing my mind? This time we were in the back again....and same reaction. It was then that I realized that the first time I went on it I was in the front and when you are going down that drop you see on the outside, it is much worse if you are in the back of the train. My husband (who is not afraid of these things at all) totally agrees. Front is better for those who are afraid of the drop.
Also, the backwards part can be a little disconcerting if you are not prepared for it. I keep my eyes close usually during that part and I am just fine. It sort of feels like you are going backwards up and around an upside down cone shape. I have no idea what it is...that's just the 'impression' I get when I have my eyes closed...lol.
Hoping I havent scared you to death.....because I am not a big roller coaster fan....and I now love EE. AND, even more convincing than that is that DD loves EE as well. Trust me...that is saying a WHOLE LOT!! :mickey:

I agree completely. You'll have a similar experience on Big Thunder Mountain. The last car is the most fun and fastest on the drops because the first car comes down slower than the rest.

lynnek
12-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Riding in the first car gives you the lovely impression of being the first to go off a cliff! (then you go backwards)

Kenny1113
12-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I agree completely. You'll have a similar experience on Big Thunder Mountain. The last car is the most fun and fastest on the drops because the first car comes down slower than the rest.

Ditto! DH had me ride in the back on btmrr. It is alot more fun! :mickey:

I am going to have to disagree with some of the responses regarding ee. My DH, dbil, dfil, and DS and dn went on this ride and most of them came off this ride white! In regards to not white knuckle-- tell that to my dfil. :D

While I would never discourage someone from trying something new, I do not want to mislead either. I love this ride, but I am a roller coaster person.
It's like I tell my kids.. it only lasts a few minutes and if you don't like it you don't have to do it again.

2MuchWDFun
12-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Give it a try. You are supposed to be scared going on a roller coaster for the first time. That's part of the fun.
Going backwards is a little disorienting (it is supposed to be) and may make you a little queasy if you are prone to motion sickness. Use the suggestions of others and sit in the first three rows of seats for your first ride.
It has fabulous theming--I think you'll love it. Plus, it's over in a few minutes.
If you are prone to motion sickness I find that if I get enough sleep, stay hydrated, and eat a high protein breakfast (not sugary muffins,or french toast) then I don't have issues with queasiness.

Rachie
12-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone. Motion sickness is not an issue for me. It just plainly that I don't like the sensation of dropping. I have been on Thunder Mountain many times & absolutely love it! I guess I'll **** it up & go on EE. Thanks!;)

Granny Jill A
12-15-2010, 02:04 PM
So if the reason for your fear is related to mammoth drops at high speeds you will likely be fine...but if its more of a nausea issue you might want to give it a pass

Excellent advice. Just tell your dear hubby that you don't want to toss your cookies in public or feel bad for any part of your vacation.

Mogie
12-16-2010, 02:16 PM
You will be kicking yourself for not going on roller coasters sooner! Everest is probably my favorite Disney Ride period. I always hated roller coasters because of that feeling you get in your stomach when you drop. The way to get passed that is to not tense up and relax your body and not to fight the ride. If you really want to be adventurous and want to graduate to an upside down coaster...try Rockin Roller Coaster. Its in the dark so you dont even realize your upside down. Do it!

KylesMom
12-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm going to be a bit more critical here based off of a few responses from the past after our members returned home than most have in this post.

When asked for advice on E:E, they were pretty much told that it was a bit more extreme than BTM, but not too much so. Based off this information, of course our hesitant INTERCOTEEs hopped aboard.

I've tried to find the posts which are from '08 or thereabouts, but couldn't locate them. In essence, for someone who doesn't like rollercoasters or is terrified of heights, we've been informed that E:E certainly IS a big deal. It may be among my family's favorites, but it's definitely too extreme for people who don't like coasters!

LVT
12-18-2010, 01:06 PM
I was not a roller coaster person. I went to WDW for the first time as a 45 year old. I now even go on the big coasters in other parks. I do not have motion sickness issues. You may surprise yourself. I am proud of this new ability as you see.:blush:

Brutus07
12-22-2010, 09:28 PM
My wife refuses to go on coasters with big drops and forget the tower of terror. She loves EE and was thrilled by it. Not too bad at all in terms of drops.

disneymom2000
12-22-2010, 09:47 PM
I have this same problem with my husband. Sometimes he musts insists I do something that I just don't want to do. I do some roller coasters but will never do RNR but finally gave in to EE. Never again. It was everything I thought it would be and I didn't like it. All these people who say just do it, it may surprise you are definitely roller coaster people. Why can't they just accept that some people just don't do extreme coasters? I try and do everything else so it's not like I'm a party popper but I am drawing the line at EE now.