PDA

View Full Version : Mediterranean Cruises (Disney or Other)

JabberJaws
12-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I am looking into a possible Mediterranean cruise for fall 2011. I have been on Disney cruises so of course would know what to expect from them. I also want to do my due dilligence and look into other cruise lines as well.

I saw online that some other CLs that do Med cruises are Royal Carr., Carnival, Norwegian Princess and Costa. Anyone know much about those cruise lines? Any that are better than others or anyone have any general recommendations?

Thanks!

NJGIRL
12-13-2010, 01:38 PM
My parents have been on 3 Med cruises in the last four year(none of them Disney) and liked all three vacations alot. I will ask them and let you know which cruise lines they were on. I do know while they enjoyed the cruises some of the ports they could have done without.

JabberJaws
12-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah I've noticed just from looking at some of the various itineraries that some are definitely better than others, or at least look better than others. Not sure on the cruise lines though as I have only ever been on Disney cruises.

Thanks for your help!

Tink1
12-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Almost all major cruiselines do the Med. That, along with Alaska, are cruises I would plan by ports rather than ship. These Itineraries are port intensive, so to me that means the ship takes second place.

When doing the Caribbean, I pick by ship since I spend more time on the ship.

I would pick what ports are "must see" and go from there. Med cruise ports vary from line to line, sailing to sailing. Do you want more Eastern Med? Western Med? THen look at port times for each port, See which gives you the best time slots. Tendered or docked? If tendering, that takes more time to get folks off the ship.

I have sailed most lines and seem to fall back on Celebrity a lot, and my favorite ever ship is the Celebrity Century.

Nanc

JabberJaws
12-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the tips Nanci. Just doing a quick search on line of some of the available iteneraries and cruise lines, Celebrity popped out at me. Plus they embark out of Charleston SC (where I live) occasionally (one was in port today actually) and they get good reviews.

That being said, I definitely noticed a wide variety of ports. I think ultimately we would want to hit Rome and stick to the Italy, Spain, France ports. I saw some that ventured to Greece and some other lesser known ports. We initially wanted to visit France and Italy and I saw some that stopped off in both places and also in Spain which is intriguing as well.

I would really prefer to take a Disney Med cruise, but I really don't think we are going to be able to go until October and the Magic didn't have any cruises then. That being said, Celebrity and man of the others went as late as Oct. 31 (and were cheaper) so we will likely stick w/ one of those.

Thanks for the advice and I welcome anymore tips that anyone has!

disneyworldtraveler
01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
We just finished a med cruise over the holiday and we were on the Costa line. I'd recommend them as they were wonderful...they are owned by Carnival but fly the Italian flag. (I've been on other cruise lines as well). We left from Italy and did Tunisia, Malta, Greece and back up through Rome. Some ports are more desirable than others, so I'd start there to hit wherever you are wishing to see. If you end up with a port in Cadiz, Spain you'd be close to us...southern Spain is beautiful! Enjoy your adventure! :twocents:

TheRustyScupper
01-31-2011, 03:25 PM
1) We are partial to Cunard.
. . . style
. . . luxury
. . . grace
. . . sedate
2) Not booked yet, but are looking at a Med cruise
. . . Queen Elizabeth
. . . October 2011

NOTE: We have sailed on many of the major cruise lines and each have their pros and cons. We have come to book either Cunard or Seabourn for their destinations, and quality of vessels and crew. Have done Queen Mary 2 thrice and Queen Victoria twice. Can't wait to try Queen Elizabeth.