PDA

View Full Version : Adv by Disney Info/Opinions/Advice?

JabberJaws
12-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Just saw the topic below about ABD but thought it would be better to start my own thread.

My wife and I are looking to plan a trip to Italy in 2011 (late 2011) or early 2012. Being a Disney person through and through, my first thoughts have been a DCL Med. cruise or ABD. I know what I've read on the ABD website, but wanted to get some personal opionions.

-First, we are somewhat adventurous travelers and don't tend to like the stereotyped "tour group" type traveling. I know that ABD is a group (40-50 people), but does it have that sort of sterotyped American-tourist group travel feeling? We want a unique traveling experience vs. cookie cutter.

-Second, we are a young couple (28) w/ no kids. I know that ABD has an Adult only itinerary, so that is an option. At the same time, we've been on Disney cruises so don't mind the family atmosphere. Thoughts from a kidless couples perspective?

-Third, value. I know they are a bit pricey (the prices on the website say double-occupancy, does that mean that the rate listed ($3,000 for example) covers 2 people, or is that per person?) but what is the value for what you get vs. planning a non-group trip and winging it on meals and the like.

-Fourth, just general opinions. What do you guys think of ABD vs other options (cruise, planning trip on our own or a non-group trip through a non-disney travel agent, etc.)?

Thanks for your help!!

--Doug--

SBETigg
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Some of the Disney experiences are unique and might make the higher price worthwhile. Plus, you know you are in good hands. On the down side, yes, you are doing the group travel tour thing-- maybe not cookie cutter, but definitely following a planned itinerary with the same group of people. And, the price is way more than you will pay on your own, maybe not for all the same experiences, but you can plan a satisfying and complete, even luxurious, trip for less than the ABD prices. So I'm torn on what to recommend here. I've heard glowing reviews on some of the ABD trips, and everyone who takes them seems pleased.

We're going to France in 2011 and I had the same dilemma. We've opted not to travel with ABD because we want more flexibility and will spend some of our trip in a remote countryside area where my husband spent some time as a child. So far, for what we want, including excellent hotels and more travel time, we're paying much less than the ABD price, by estimate (though it's not a direct comparison because the experiences are much different).

JabberJaws
12-13-2010, 11:10 AM
That is interesting to note that you are paying less by doing it piecemeal than through ABD. Are you working w/ a travel agent on setting everything up? I am also looking at a DCL Med cruise but the 2011 sailing dates are very limited so I am not sure.

SBETigg
12-13-2010, 11:19 AM
That is interesting to note that you are paying less by doing it piecemeal than through ABD. Are you working w/ a travel agent on setting everything up? I am also looking at a DCL Med cruise but the 2011 sailing dates are very limited so I am not sure.

So far, no agent. We have just priced things out in a preliminary way online, but that is by no means a final total. We will be contacting an agent, and the spending might go up once we're locked in to reservations vs prices you can find online while browsing. Plus, there are four of us traveling, making the per person charges as priced through ABD add up to a little more. With two people, it might be more on par. Or maybe that doesn't make a difference. I don't know. We're in the early stages of planning, so it all could change. But the ABD prices do seem quite high for what they're offering. Then again, the ease of having their planning and expert touches might even it out. There's a lot to consider.

JabberJaws
12-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Nothing is easy, that's for sure. ABD lists their prices as double-occupancy, but does not say per person, so I'd assume that means the price listed is the total price for 2 people. I have heard that food in places like France and Italy can be VERY expensive, especially if you don't know much about where you are going, etc, so the idea that food is included (and tours, etc) does make it seem like a better deal. Plus it certainly would be hassle free. I'd just be afraid of it being too watered down or "canned."

Spending this much time and money on a trip I just wanna make sure we get it right. Nothing is easy though!

SBETigg
12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Nothing is easy, that's for sure. ABD lists their prices as double-occupancy, but does not say per person, so I'd assume that means the price listed is the total price for 2 people. I have heard that food in places like France and Italy can be VERY expensive, especially if you don't know much about where you are going, etc, so the idea that food is included (and tours, etc) does make it seem like a better deal. Plus it certainly would be hassle free. I'd just be afraid of it being too watered down or "canned."

Spending this much time and money on a trip I just wanna make sure we get it right. Nothing is easy though!

That is different for the Italy trip, then. The France trip I looked at was priced per person. I thought all their listings were per person. This could make a big difference in price for you, so possibly best to call a rep and ask some questions. That might be a good idea anyway, because it would give you a better idea of what to expect from ABD.

JabberJaws
12-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Very true. Thanks for the advice!

Incidentally you were correct, prices on ABD are per person which does make it a tad pricey. I am actually looking more and more into a Med cruise now so who knows!

NJGIRL
12-13-2010, 01:34 PM
We went to Italy last year and the prices for ABD were much higher than what we spent.

Daisy'sMom
12-13-2010, 03:43 PM
We are planning a trip to Italy next year. We are doing an escourted tour because we don't want to drive there, we like the idea that everything is arranged for us and we don't speak Italian.
We are older (50's) and guess adventure is not something we are looking for.:mickey:

Tink1
12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
I have done ABD to London and Paris. I will be doing it to the American Southwest next year. A dear friend did the Viva Italia trip last year.

Can you do it cheaper ala carte? Probably yes.
Can you do it as well? Depends on what you desire to do.
Can you do it as seamlessly and easy? No.

From the minute you arrive at your destination airport, you are catered to. I never touched luggage (other than to get clothes out of) for the rest of my trip. When it rained, I was handed an umbrella as I walked out of the hotel, When it was hot (Paris) there were cold bottles of water that appeared from no where. Basically, it seemed like they anticipated our every need and delivered them.

It was so nice to have 2 ABD guides plus 2 local that could tell us little things of interest. (like how to use clotted cream on scones and which tea took lemon and which took cream)

It was great to go to Notre Dame, see a line to climb the bell tower that was a block long, and walk to the front of the line and through the rope.

It was interesting to get a private tour of the last winery in Paris.

It was wonderful to have a private art history major take 5 of us through the Louvre.

It was even better, that I did not have to plan this or deal with anything. When we had free time, the guides had plenty of suggestions.

I can go on and on, and I can tell you that our friends who did Italy raved about it as well.

Is it pricey? Yes.
Do you get value for your dollars? Undoubtedly Yes.

Nanc

FaithTrustPixieDust
12-15-2010, 11:14 PM
To address a few of your questions:

There is a tour-groupy feel to some degree. However, many of the events and tours that we did were private and exclusive. They had closed down, and the only people there were our group. Having said that, you can't do things on your own time. ABD recommends arriving a day or two early in the first city, or staying over in the last city. I wish we had done that, and given ourselves a day or so to do our own adventuring.

Our group was half the size of the norm. It included people from age 7-70, so the activities will generally be designed to allow everyone to participate. We had a few couples without kids and some singles traveling as well. The kids in the group are made to feel special, but it is by no means "all about the kids."

Hope that helps!

luvdiznee
12-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I have done ABD to London and Paris. I will be doing it to the American Southwest next year. A dear friend did the Viva Italia trip last year.

Can you do it cheaper ala carte? Probably yes.
Can you do it as well? Depends on what you desire to do.
Can you do it as seamlessly and easy? No.

From the minute you arrive at your destination airport, you are catered to. I never touched luggage (other than to get clothes out of) for the rest of my trip. When it rained, I was handed an umbrella as I walked out of the hotel, When it was hot (Paris) there were cold bottles of water that appeared from no where. Basically, it seemed like they anticipated our every need and delivered them.

It was so nice to have 2 ABD guides plus 2 local that could tell us little things of interest. (like how to use clotted cream on scones and which tea took lemon and which took cream)

It was great to go to Notre Dame, see a line to climb the bell tower that was a block long, and walk to the front of the line and through the rope.

It was interesting to get a private tour of the last winery in Paris.

It was wonderful to have a private art history major take 5 of us through the Louvre.

It was even better, that I did not have to plan this or deal with anything. When we had free time, the guides had plenty of suggestions.

I can go on and on, and I can tell you that our friends who did Italy raved about it as well.

Is it pricey? Yes.
Do you get value for your dollars? Undoubtedly Yes.

Nanc

:thumbsup:This is exactly why I am doing ABD for international travel. I'm not one who has family there or has grown up there, but I would like to see it. I just wish they would do something for Mexico. :marg: