PDA

View Full Version : Browser hijacked!

Maleficent_vf
12-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for regaining control of a hijacked browser? I've run SpyBot S&D and it found a couple of things, but I'm still not able to open IE and run it without interference. :( Spent most of the day yesterday trying to get rid of whatever it is, including going back to a restore point - no luck. :mad:

Thanks!

DizneyRox
12-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Have you tried running IE without add-ons?

Once in, you can either disable to add-on that is causing the problem (most of them do, I don't run any) or at the very least download malwarebytes to help rid yourself of the malware.

I used to stay one browser version behind the released one as a failsafe to help solve Windows problems.

You might also want to look at installing Google Chrome, as in the future if this happens, you can usually start a different browser to help download something that will help. Quite honestly, most people who I've told to use Chrome turn out to like it very much. At least when they give it a chance...

John
12-13-2010, 12:04 PM
The reality of the situation is - sometimes it's just not worth wasting the time and that backing up the data and wiping your computer may be the best way to get rid of it.

I'm in IT as my main gig - and there have been at least 2-3 situations that my kids have gotten a URL redirector / Spyware in one of their browsers and I spent a crazy amount of time trying to get rid of them to no avail.

You can also try Malware Bytes & AdAware.

mook3y
12-13-2010, 02:35 PM
use malwarebytes

google it -

download it

run the update

run a full scan

when its done - you will need to reboot.

after reboot, open internet explorer,

got to tools -> Internet Options - > Connections -> LAN settings

Make sure the box under Proxy Settings is unchecked.

If
1) this does not fix your problem
2) you get blocked trying to download malwarebytes or run it

re-install your OS. It's not worth the time it will take to fix it.

brivers222
12-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Unfortuantely the only thing I found that would guarentee a hijack free and virus free internet experence would be to run a Mac operating system...

I went mac in march 2010 and i will never go back!

princessjojo
12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
It took several hours and a couple hundred bucks, but I was able to get my cleaned. My entire computer was hijacked...couldn't even open control panel or use ctrl alt delete. I had Norton remotely clean it but like I said, it cost me dearly...

Good luck.