PDA

View Full Version : Need to Vent!

Dulcee
12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I need to vent.

My dog is normally very dog friendly. However she hasn't been feeling well the past two days and has been a little out of sorts so when I took her out today instead of taking her to the dog park where she might encounter another pooch and get irritated we walked.

We were walking down the street when someone else came towards us also walking a dog. I purposely turned to avoid walking head on into this other dog as again I was aware my pooch was feeling off and small jumpy dogs can aggravate that. Well despite my turning the other way the other owner had their dog on a retractable leash and allowed their dog to come bounding up behind mine, a distance of about ten feet, which caused mine to be startled, turn around and nip.

Now my dog was on a short leash right at my side so I was easily able to pull her away and get her to sit but their dog was on one of those god awful dangerous retractable leads so they had no control and their dog's ear ended up getting scratched.

Now, I do feel awful for the other dog and no my dog shouldn't have nipped but it makes me so angry when I go out of my way to insure the safety of my animal when people just completely disregard it with their own. My dog was significantly larger then theirs so it doesn't take much for a little guy to get hurt.

If you use a retractable leash please, please be aware of this. These types of leashes allow for very little control over your animal and make it very difficult for other dog owners to know where your animal is going to go.

MNNHFLTX
12-12-2010, 04:02 PM
I understand your feeling bad, but I don't think you should--your dog was responding to an perceived threat, albeit a small one. I've run across the same thing when I walk my dog; other dogs that are allowed a long leash and the freedom to run up to us without warning. A couple of years ago I was walking with our current black lab and our large black lab (sadly, that is no longer with us). Louie was a mellow old guy with diabetes and who was blind from cataracts, but he loved to go for walks and would walk sedately at my side. One day a small dog on a retractable leash ran up behind us without warning and charged Louie's hind legs. Louie reared around and lunged at the smaller with a bark. Fortunately he didn't even come close to touching him. But you can imagine how a blind dog would react when feels something suddenly nipping at his legs. I think sometimes dog owners forget that even if their dog is small, aggressive behavior can be a problem and it's just as important that they practice proper obediance training and restraint on an appropriate leash.

kakn7294
12-13-2010, 11:49 PM
I hate those leashes as well. In my opinion, the only place for them is in field training or an area where your pet can have the freedom to roam safely. They are not meant for taking your pet on the average walk in an area where you will encounter other people, pets, and cars. Please don't feel badly - your dog did nothing wrong.

PirateLover
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Retractable leashes should never be used for walks! As a matter of fact, if your dog has proper leash manners he/she should be by your side the entire time, and not bounding ahead of you.

LVT
01-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Untrained people can be a problem.

azdisneymom
01-30-2011, 10:58 AM
I agree with LVT. When I took my Rottie pup to puppy school I was the one who needed to be trained. :blush: Now he is 130 pounds and walks right by my side. He NEVER charges.

Don't feel bad. You did everything right with your dog. Your dog only followed his insticts. Sounds like all in all you are a good and responsible pet owner!

Stitchahula
01-31-2011, 10:36 AM
I use a retractable leash often with my dog. However they are at my side with the leash locked to a normal length when we encounter other dogs or people. Some people don't understand not all dogs are friendly. I 've seen more people think because they are "on a leash" all is well. For the most part it seems to be people with small dogs (I know people will get upset with that), but with larger dogs we seem to keep a closer eye on. I know that isn't always the case. A person is supposed to have control of their dog at all times and if their dog is on a 10 ft. leash how much control do you have, NONE. It's too bad your dog nipped the other one but had they not let their dog charge yours there wouldn't have been a problem.

DizneyRox
01-31-2011, 11:24 AM
I agree with LVT. When I took my Rottie pup to puppy school I was the one who needed to be trained. :blush: Now he is 130 pounds and walks right by my side. He NEVER charges.

Don't feel bad. You did everything right with your dog. Your dog only followed his insticts. Sounds like all in all you are a good and responsible pet owner!
Love the rottie... I've found very few situations like this happen with a rottie. Often other dog owners just turn around when they see one coming anyway, never mind letting their dog(s) get close.

rubato
02-01-2011, 05:05 PM
I have one of those little dogs (and, a terrier to boot). No offense. They have attitudes! :thumbsup:I also do use the retractable leash. But, he is at my side when we are getting close to dogs or just people. He is also wearing a shock collar because, when we get to the woods, I let him off the leash and he comes immediately if I give him the beep, not the shock, from the collar. So, if he is at my side, but getting an attitude going, I give him the beep and he stops. He is very much under my control. Only once did I have a problem and that was when he was a puppy and the other dog was off leash entirely on a public sidewalk.

Sorry you had that happen. I hope the person in control, or not, of the dog wasn't mad at your dog.