PDA

View Full Version : How many Fast Passes do you get?

SpectroTrumpeteer
12-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I can't remember and I can't seem to find the answer on Disney's website. Does anyone know how many Fast Passes each guest staying in a resort gets per day?:unsure:

faline
12-08-2010, 08:38 PM
It varies. The rules are you can get another fast pass after the window opens for the first fast pass you hold or after two hours.

Example: You get a fast pass at 9 a.m. and the return time is 9:45 a.m. You can then get another fast fass at 9:45 a.m.

If you are there during a very busy time, it might be a longer time between fast passes. You get a fast pass at 9:00 a.m. with a return time of 1:00 p.m. You can get your next pass at 11:00 a.m. - 2 hours after your first one even though you aren't able to use the first one yet.

SBETigg
12-08-2010, 09:30 PM
The way you have worded your question, I could be misunderstanding, but it sounds as if you might think Fastpasses are handed out to resort guests, which is absolutely not the case. Please bear with me if I have misunderstood your question, and in that case Faline has explained.

But just in case, to clarify, you don't get Fastpasses for staying at a Disney resort. They're available in the parks for all park guests, not just Disney resort guests, and they're not a separate charge, no charge at all. They're available to anyone in park at the attractions offering Fastpass, while they're in stock (they can run out) and according to time windows on the tickets.

WDWfanatic742
12-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Like faline and SBETigg said, it's not like Universal (if you are thinking that's how Disney works as well) where only Resort guests are able to use the Fastpass (Express) line. Every Disney guest is able to get a Fastpass, whether staying at a resort or a day guest. There is no "set" limit per se in that you can get another Fastpass when your first ends or two hours after you got your first, whichever comes first.

WDWdriver
12-08-2010, 09:48 PM
The whole Fastpass thing can be confusing at first. As Sherri said, you don't get them just because you are a resort guest. Anyone can get a Fastpass, and you get them at the entrance to the attraction you want to ride. You use your park entrance ticket to get a Fastpass, one for each member of your party. There will be a return time window printed on the Fastpass. This is the time window during which you are to return to the ride and be admitted to the Fastpass (no waiting) queue. The return time can vary anywhere from 30 minutes to more than two hours later.

As a general rule, you can only hold one Fastpass at a time. So you can't just walk around the park and gather up Fastpasses. Your first Fastpass will have a time printed in small print at the bottom. At that time you can get another Fastpass, even if you haven't used the first one yet.

Confusing? Yes, a bit. But after your first day of using Fastpass you will be an expert. Using them as often as you can will significantly reduce the time you spend waiting in lines.

gerald72
12-08-2010, 10:08 PM
I think it's amusing how the people in the standby line give dirty looks to the fastpass people. They don't realize that if they had done a little research, they would know that they, too, could have become one of the "elite" simply by placing their ticket in a fastpass machine.

SpectroTrumpeteer
12-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I couldn't remeber if you were limited to the number you would recieve in one day. I think when they first came out you were. I also didn't know if resort guests received more than "non resort guests". We have used them in the past, I just couldn't remember the numbers. And yes, next to being able to get through lines quicker, the best part of the Fast Pass is looking at the faces of all of those in the "regular" line give you dirty looks of disgust.:thumbsup:

Ms. Mode
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
I think it's amusing how the people in the standby line give dirty looks to the fastpass people. They don't realize that if they had done a little research, they would know that they, too, could have become one of the "elite" simply by placing their ticket in a fastpass machine.

Oh, that's just ENVY..they'll be the one in the FP line on their next ride. :mickey:

TheVBs
12-09-2010, 03:52 PM
It varies. The rules are you can get another fast pass after the window opens for the first fast pass you hold or after two hours.

Example: You get a fast pass at 9 a.m. and the return time is 9:45 a.m. You can then get another fast fass at 9:45 a.m.

If you are there during a very busy time, it might be a longer time between fast passes. You get a fast pass at 9:00 a.m. with a return time of 1:00 p.m. You can get your next pass at 11:00 a.m. - 2 hours after your first one even though you aren't able to use the first one yet.

Wow! Thanks for this! :mickey: I don't think I've ever really understood it until I read this.

Babe the Blue Ox
12-19-2010, 12:38 AM
As a general rule, you can only hold one Fastpass at a time. So you can't just walk around the park and gather up Fastpasses. Your first Fastpass will have a time printed in small print at the bottom. At that time you can get another Fastpass, even if you haven't used the first one yet.

My preferred plan is to walk around the park gathering fast passes during the morning hours when the lines and return times are fairly short. We'll then use them during the middle of the day when the lines get really long. It's not unusual to have gathered 30-35 passes (for a family of 5) before using any of them.

crltkcagle
12-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I couldn't remeber if you were limited to the number you would recieve in one day. I think when they first came out you were. I also didn't know if resort guests received more than "non resort guests". We have used them in the past, I just couldn't remember the numbers. And yes, next to being able to get through lines quicker, the best part of the Fast Pass is looking at the faces of all of those in the "regular" line give you dirty looks of disgust.:thumbsup:
You may be confusing EMH hours with fast passes also. Non resort guests can not attend EMH but Resort guests can. They just have to show their Key cards to the CM in the beginning of the lines.

Just-Keep-Swimming
12-20-2010, 05:31 PM
It's not unusual to have gathered 30-35 passes (for a family of 5) before using any of them.

so does this mean that if a fastpass says to return between 1pm - 2pm, you would still be able to use it after 2? we just got back from our trip and were afraid to return after the time given. we didnt want to be turned away! but that would make it so much easier to return when it works best for us.

faline
12-20-2010, 06:16 PM
so does this mean that if a fastpass says to return between 1pm - 2pm, you would still be able to use it after 2? we just got back from our trip and were afraid to return after the time given. we didnt want to be turned away! but that would make it so much easier to return when it works best for us.

Typically our experience is that this is true. However, there is always the possibilitiy that you will run into a rigid cast member who will not honor it past the ending time.

lynnek
12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
We ended up giving a bunch of fastpasses away because we wouldn't be able to use them until after the window. I already felt a bit like I was cutting the line using the fastpass system--got used to it fast though!!

WDWdriver
12-20-2010, 09:16 PM
so does this mean that if a fastpass says to return between 1pm - 2pm, you would still be able to use it after 2?

Generally, yes, this is true. You will not be admitted early, but if you return after the end of your window you can still use your Fastpass at most attractions. The Fastpass system works best when all guests return during their window. But if guests are delayed by a parade or dining or whatever, most CMs will still accept their Fastpass. I should emphasize here that this is a widespread informal policy agreed to by most attraction managers. They don't have to allow late returns, but most do. When the parks are very crowded you may find that late returns are more limited. Soarin' is one attraction that is known for refusing late returns during busy times. The best advice is to make your return time if you can. But if you are late, don't throw your Fastpass away. Go ahead and approach the FP queue, and don't feel guilty when they let you in. It's very common.

Babe the Blue Ox
12-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Correct. Unfortunately, this is not a very well kept secret as it has been described in the "Unofficial Guide" for at least the past ten years or so.

I've used hundreds of fast passes over the years, and have never been turned away if I happen to return after the one hour window has expired. In fact, once we had to leave a park unexpectedly and still had a stack of passes in hand. When we returned a couple of days later, we explained the situation to the attendants at each of the attractions and were always allowed onto the rides. Another example of Disney customer service at it's finest.

forever a child
12-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Correct. Unfortunately, this is not a very well kept secret as it has been described in the "Unofficial Guide" for at least the past ten years or so.

I've used hundreds of fast passes over the years, and have never been turned away if I happen to return after the one hour window has expired. In fact, once we had to leave a park unexpectedly and still had a stack of passes in hand. When we returned a couple of days later, we explained the situation to the attendants at each of the attractions and were always allowed onto the rides. Another example of Disney customer service at it's finest.

We saw a family of four return to the FP line with FP's in hand and were turned away. I don't recall the line, I think it was perhaps beyond the date they had been issued. I am amazed to see on ebay people selling old FP's but I am even more amazed to see people buying them.:confused:

Babe the Blue Ox
12-23-2010, 09:19 PM
We saw a family of four return to the FP line with FP's in hand and were turned away. I don't recall the line, I think it was perhaps beyond the date they had been issued. I am amazed to see on ebay people selling old FP's but I am even more amazed to see people buying them.:confused:

Maybe they were early.

TheVBs
12-27-2010, 03:42 PM

Maybe they're just buying them to keep as souvenirs? Or to use in scrapbooks? That's what I've always assumed. :confused:

mom2morgan
12-27-2010, 06:17 PM
okay - now I'm confused. I thought you had to use one fastpass before you could get another - how do you manage to accumulate them? Or do you just have to wait until the "return time" before you can get new ones? I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this....I think I'd feel like I was "hoarding" :-( I know how disappointing it is to find all the fastpasses gone early in the day, but I guess if that is the way the game is played I'll need to try the same technique!

My preferred plan is to walk around the park gathering fast passes during the morning hours when the lines and return times are fairly short. We'll then use them during the middle of the day when the lines get really long. It's not unusual to have gathered 30-35 passes (for a family of 5) before using any of them.

JerseyDad
12-27-2010, 07:12 PM
....I do....zero....fast-passes. I don't want to be "on a schedule" for where I need to be at any given time...regarding attractions.

KatrinaJ91
12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
I couldn't do the parks without fast passes... Once you learn to use them and map things out, they are so valuable to a wonderful trip! I don't think we stood in any line for more than 20 minutes when we were there last summer! The days were so much better without having to stand in lines for hours!!

DisneyGiant
12-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I couldn't do the parks without fast passes... Once you learn to use them and map things out, they are so valuable to a wonderful trip! I don't think we stood in any line for more than 20 minutes when we were there last summer! The days were so much better without having to stand in lines for hours!!

Same here. We've been going in the summer lately and its fairly crowded. We count on fast passes to keep our sanity and patience in check! ;)

WDWdriver
12-27-2010, 10:43 PM
okay - now I'm confused. I thought you had to use one fastpass before you could get another - how do you manage to accumulate them? Or do you just have to wait until the "return time" before you can get new ones?

Okay, let's go through this one more time. Let's say you arrive at a park in the morning and immediately get a FP for a favorite attraction. That first FP will have a return time window printed on it, which may be anywhere from 30 minutes to more than two hours later. So that is the time you are expected to use your first FP.
But look at the bottom of your FP and you will see a third time printed in small type. This printed time is the time that the Disney computers will allow you to get another FP, even if you have not yet used the one you are holding.
So at that time you get a second FP for another attraction, and now you are holding two unused FPs with two open time windows. And again you have a printed time when you can get another.
And so on, until by mid afternoon you have obtained as many as four or five FPs. If you are relying on the unwritten policy that late returns are allowed, then you may indeed have a handful of unused FPs.
There is nothing technically wrong with accumulating FPs in this fashion. The system allows it. But it does violate the underlying concept of FP usage, namely that guests will return during their windows and keep the lines moving smoothly. Let your conscience be your guide.

kemps@wdw
12-29-2010, 10:27 PM
As many as possible :D

Babe the Blue Ox
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
The rules are a little different a Disneyland, but on New Year's Eve I was able to accumulate 40 Fast Passes (10 sets of 4) between the two parks throughout the morning and then used them all during the late afternoon/early evening when it got really, really busy.