PDA

View Full Version : Best Moderate Resort

makeyourself5007
12-08-2010, 12:26 PM
What is the best moderate resort in terms of proximity to the parks and price? We have stayed at Port Orleans before and liked that one.

javamama
12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
It really all depends, on what park you want to be closest too. We've only stayed at CS, and Dixie Landings way back when. We really enjoyed both resorts, I like CS because you get a queen bed going from a king to a full is tough. I do remember the walk to the bus stops were long at CS. We have yet to stay at a Moderate with our kids, just because we like being on the monorail line. This year may be our first attempt, and I'd go back to CS now that they have different room types that are closer to the bus stops and food court.

btharvey
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
We've only stayed at Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs, and CS wins -- again it's the queen bed. Pepper Market is more fun, too, I think. Not necessarily better food, but more fun.

We liked the walk, frankly. WDW is one of the few places I really love to walk everywhere.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I believe that the pricing should be the same for the entire moderate class of resorts. The only difference in pricing would be if you chose to stay in themed rooms (like Pirate themed ones at CBR) or if you chose a preferred room.

As far as distance, in the grand scheme of things I don't know if that is much of a factor. Probably the longest haul from any one moderate to a park is from POR/FQ to Animal Kingdom. But realistically, if you are using the bus system from any of the moderates to the parks you may only be talking about a difference of 5-10 minutes at most. Which, imo, wouldn't factor into my decision as to which park to stay at.

For me it's about the comfort and theming, I don't think we've ever let transportation times figure into our decision as to where to stay. Only time that would come into play is if we were to upgrade to the deluxe resorts and try get onto the monorail line or stay at the Boardwalk/Beach-Yacht Club areas.

Only add'l consideration for POR is that it is the only moderate that can handle a family of 5.

buzz2001
12-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Another vote for CSR! CSR is centrally located with quick trips to all the parks and also offers queen beds.

buzznwoodysmom
12-08-2010, 07:09 PM
We've stayed at all 4. When we stayed at CSR we noticed several times during our trip that we felt very close to everything. At some resorts you may be close to one park, but really far from another park. At CSR we felt centrally located.

As for the queen beds, POFQ is getting queen beds right now, so if your trip isn't for a few months both CSR and POFQ will have queen beds.

If you want a small, quaint resort go for POFQ, its what I loved most about that resort. We loved CSR and CBR, but both of those resorts are huge. So if the layout of the resort matters to you, and your looking for a smaller resort, without long walks to get to the food court or pool, POFQ would be your best bet.

forever a child
12-08-2010, 08:01 PM
I think everyone else has answered your question pretty well. We have been to both POR and POFQ and I preferred Riverside (I had better service there and I like the theme and food court better). We will be staying at CSR next week so we will have experienced 3 of the 4 mods.

I also wanted to say...Welcome to Intercot!
:welcome:

faline
12-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Another vote for Coronado Springs. I like that it has more amenities than the other moderates which makes more akin to a deluxe.

Second place for me would be Port Orleans French Quarter - loved the coziness and ambiance here!

garymacd
12-08-2010, 08:21 PM
I hate POFQ!

It is too small, too intimate, too close to everything, only one bus stop, hate those beignets, the gardens are too nice and orderly, dislike the jazz music on the weekends, scared of the sea serpent in the pool and the musical aligators on the way to the pool, can't stand being able to have a drink at the pool bar. Who needs romantic horse-drawn carriage rides at dusk? And that boat ride to DtD: What's that all about?

How can you like a place like that?

Did I overplay my hand a little, do you think?

faline
12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I hate POFQ!

It is too small, too intimate, too close to everything, only one bus stop, hate those beignets, the gardens are too nice and orderly, dislike the jazz music on the weekends, scared of the sea serpent in the pool and the musical aligators on the way to the pool, can't stand being able to have a drink at the pool bar. Who needs romantic horse-drawn carriage rides at dusk? And that boat ride to DtD: What's that all about?

Given the number of times you've stayed in this "awful" place, you must REALLY hate it! :D

Briansmom
12-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I hate POFQ!

I get where you're going with this garymacd!! And I applaud you! The more you recommend a place, the harder it is for those of us who absolutely love said place to get a room, right?

It is really easy to 'hate' POFQ, for sure! :mickey:

Gator
12-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Just so you know, Coronado Springs is an extra $5/night vs the other moderates. This is worth it to me because of the larger beds. It was my favorite before they had the Queen-sized beds. The theming, the pool, and the dining options are way better than the other moderates.

Mousemates
12-09-2010, 04:26 PM
If you are among the group that counts the Cabins at Fort Wilderness as a moderate, then they get my vote. If not then

POFQ (king bed) - if its just me and the wife...love the boat to DTD.

or

CSR (queen beds) if its the four of us.

buzznwoodysmom
12-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Just so you know, Coronado Springs is an extra $5/night vs the other moderates. This is worth it to me because of the larger beds.

It is my understanding that the rooms at POFQ are getting queen beds right now. This is said to be part of the current refurb going on right now.

splashtest
12-11-2010, 01:05 AM
I just checked out of Caribbean Beach Resort, and I can promise I will never stay there again. I didn't pay all the money the ride the bus half o the time. The 7+ bus stops were ridiculous. Never Never Again!!!!