PDA

View Full Version : Is Epcot starting to feel dated?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-06-2010, 03:29 PM
I think I was in a somber mood anyway, but my wife and kids went back to the resort and I spent a few hours during the evening extended hours to walk around the park by myself.

Magic Kingdom is iconic, I don't think I could ever get the feeling that it was dated, especially Main Street. Both AK and DHS the period decor or the rustic buildings really fit in with the theming. But as I was walking around Epcot around midnight (with my Grand Marnier slushie!) I started thinking that for a park that is supposed to be the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow that it was starting to show it's age moreso than the other parks. It seems to have that space age feel that was prevalent in the 80's but now seems dated. While MK has a "classic" status, I don't get that feeling from Epcot. The world showcase is fine, but the rest of the park could use a face lift, or is that sacreligious?

Gator
12-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Man, you must've had a rough trip. I don't see how the outside structures of Future World seem dated. The all look very futuristic - especially Imagination and Mission:Space. The only thing that looks dated to me is Universe of Energy, but that's just me. To me, it's like what they did to Tomorrowlan - "Oh, this is what they thought of the future 30/50 years ago."

While saying that, they certainly could use some more "future" attractions.

DizneyRox
12-06-2010, 03:52 PM
It's no longer EPCOT as you mention, it's Epcot... Just a name, not a concept.

However, I do not share your observations about Epcot looking dated. I'm glad they went back to their roots at least with Spaceship Earth. Future World is running a little thin on Imagination, however that's more about the Wonders of Life and the Un-Imagination Pavillions sitting as they are. I think they are doing a pretty good job over at the Land, and while I think The Seas could be much better, it's not horrible. Mission: Space and Test Track are very good for thrill rides, but are short of the educational value of the rides they replaced.

I haven't been in Innoventions though in a while, so it could be a nightmare in there and I just don't know it.

I used to not like Epcot, but grew an appreciation for it around the Millennium and it's one of my favorite parks. Probably would go AK, Epcot, MK and MGM if I had to put them in an order.

If any of the parks look dated, it would be MGM IMHO.

Granny Jill A
12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
But as I was walking around Epcot around midnight (with my Grand Marnier slushie!) I started thinking that for a park that is supposed to be the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow that it was starting to show it's age moreso than the other parks. world showcase is fine, but the rest of the park could use a face lift, or is that sacreligious?

Grand Marnier slushie - OMG - the best drink ever! Whoops, off topic.

I think that Future World is looking a little neglected for sure. It's hard to keep up with modern technology these days. I agree that FW could use a bit of a face lift, but I wouldn't know what to suggest. I walked into Innoventions this last time and saw people wandering around looking tired and bored. I'm not sure what they expected in those buildings. I'm afraid that your average park visitor just wants his or her socks blown off by some ride, and is not interested in learning anything.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Man, you must've had a rough trip. I don't see how the outside structures of Future World seem dated. The all look very futuristic - especially Imagination and Mission:Space. The only thing that looks dated to me is Universe of Energy, but that's just me. To me, it's like what they did to Tomorrowlan - "Oh, this is what they thought of the future 30/50 years ago."

While saying that, they certainly could use some more "future" attractions.

It was a little rough in patches, starting with my DDP not showing up on my tickets (but their screw up basically gave me a free extra day of dining), then our bus breaking down enroute to DHS then Great Movie Ride breaking down just as we passed John Wayne, then I had a girl pass out next to me in Mission Space (but I hit her button for her - didn't realize she was passed out at the time) and a guy next to me get sick on Soarin, and oh yeah the woman in the CP package line who got sick behind us in line throwing up over the railing, plus the monorail getting shut down just as we were getting ready to board to get to the Poly for our evening reservations then Test Track shut down as we start to go in. All that said it was still a great trip, we just took it in stride. And almost forgot, Pop Warner rugrats started checking in at the end of our stay. Nothing like a late night bus ride listening to a bunch of tweenagers scream cheers. I think I'd rather get stuck in a It's a Small World loop over and over again.

At Epcot I was already upset about the lack of holiday decorations. I was sitting in future world finishing my drink and I just started looking at the buildings. Not so much test track or mission space, but the land, energy, oddyssey, imagination, then some of the food carts that were supposed to look Jetson like. I just got this feeling that the buildings which looked somewhat futuristic in the 80's and had a wow factor are now getting somewhat stale and dated. I love Epcot, but I think I'm more partial to World Showcase then Future World.

mainemajor
12-06-2010, 06:30 PM
I agree with Gator in that World of Energy looking dated and in need of a MAJOR facelift.
I don't feel that Inoventions is outdated, I just have never enjoyed that one part of Epcot.

Gator
12-06-2010, 08:25 PM
then I had a girl pass out next to me in Mission Space (but I hit her button for her - didn't realize she was passed out at the time)

YES! It was like you were in a movie. Your partner can't take the presure, but you keep the presence of mind to do your job and hers. And you didn't get a medal for that?

minnesotafreeze
12-06-2010, 09:02 PM
It seems to have that space age feel that was prevalent in the 80's but now seems dated. While MK has a "classic" status, I don't get that feeling from Epcot. The world showcase is fine, but the rest of the park could use a face lift, or is that sacreligious?

I agree with you it is dated. So much of the park is poured concrete walls it always makes me think of building complexes that were erected in the 80's out of concrete to cut costs.:mickey:

Granny Jill A
12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
ISo much of the park is poured concrete walls it always makes me think of building complexes that were erected in the 80's out of concrete to cut costs.:mickey:

Not to mention the entrance plaza with the monoliths that remind me of some alien graveyard. Brrrrr....... If that's the future, then I'll pass.

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Some areas are looking dated, but its still part of the sentimental charm to me

Mousemates
12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I kind of get the "dated look" of certain parts of Future World...but its no big deal to us. My issue with Future World is the general failure of the three "blockbuster" attractions to continue to hold our interest.

Soarin - loved it in the beginning but we have the movie completely memorized at this point. We also have encountered (and its seemed to be increasingly so for a while ) glitches in the movie (black spots) and stains on the screen area which take away from the immersive experience.

TestTrack - still enjoy it, but the thrill aspect of the ride is essentially the equivalent of riding in a convertible down the interstate. I now spend much of my time there looking for the hidden mickeys scattered throughout the building (there are lots of them). To me the ride also lacks a story that is "magic" and compelling.

Mission Space - it was great the first time...when you thought you really might go over the edge when landing...but once I realized that you won't get that big drop feeling, the ride lost it's pop. The take off thou is still a blast (pun intended).

Don't get me wrong, I still love Epcot...but for me Future World is simply becoming a very long entrance to the World Showcase (which is my second favorite place to spend time at WDW).

JabberJaws
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I think Epcot is going more and more away from the "future" concept. That is why it is no longer called EPCOT, but just Epcot. So it is no longer an acronym but just a name. Also, there was talk at one point of renaming Future World to Discovery World or something along those lines. I think some of the structures such as the WoL pavilion may look dated, but they are slowly getting road of those structures in favor of new attractions.

I definitely think that it doesn't look near as dated as years ago, and as time goes on I'd imagine they more and more get rid of the dated 80s future look (apparently, in the 80's, we thought the future would be very geometrical!)

MOJoe
12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I still love Epcot...but for me Future World is simply becoming a very long entrance to the World Showcase (which is my second favorite place to spend time at WDW).

:ditto:

Guess that's why i love the Epcot resorts so much.

Dragongirlx
12-08-2010, 10:32 AM
I love Epcot and seem to spend most time ther whenever I go. I don't think it looks dated and I love the sci fi feel. However I have noticed that Future world does look at lot like the city in Logan's Run

Mousemates
12-08-2010, 01:06 PM
However I have noticed that Future world does look at lot like the city in Logan's Run

too funny...in a similar vein..I just hope they don't ever start serving Soylent Green at the Garden Grill.

Goes4FastPass
12-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Parts of Future World look more like 1970s contemporary than the future.

Imagination whatever is just pitiful. I was embarrassed for Epcot first-timers to see CaptainEO. 3-D that's inferior to every cineplex in Charlotte.

Wonders of Body Wars and Cranium Command is now a special events warehouse.

Still, Soarin' and TestTrack are major ETicket attractions.

I like Epcot and never miss Epcot but the look at Future World is like a 1970s shopping mall.