PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from southeast MN? Or nearby WI?

Janmac
12-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Wondering how'd you'd drive from Rochester, MN to Eau Claire, WI?

We're heading from central Missouri up to northwestern Wisconsin over the holidays. We usually go up I-35 from Des Moines which takes us through the Twin Cities, and at about 4 - 6 pm. Meaning we usually spend a good hour and sometimes as much as 3 hours (that was a nightmare trip) getting past all that. Especially in the winter. We'd love to find away around the Twin Cities.

Homeward bound we have no trouble going straight through at late morning. We have tried just spending the night enroute which makes for a better trip through the metropolitan area but this year we'd love to avoid the expense.

Thanks for any route suggestions.

Jan

IceRef
12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Janmac:

I hope I can help you a bit by being pretty familiar with the alternate route I take quite a bit running from Albert Lea, MN into Eastern WI.

Please be careful in selecting this option as it might not be the best depending on weather conditions when you travel. The negative is that you spend quite a bit (almost all) of your time on some twisty two lane roads.

If you would map out a run from Rochester to Eau Claire through Wabasha, MN (MN Rte 63 / 247) you can hit the Mississippi River crossing. Heading northeast via Wisconsin routes 25 and 85, you enter the Eau Claire area from the south west.

This plan takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours or so to complete.

The route works, but just be safe.

Janmac
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, thanks, IceRef! That's something to think about. I had not noticed that route. Had been kinda stuck on staying on 63 into Wisconsin and going east on 94 to Eau Claire.

Here in central Missouri we're quite familiar with twisty narrow two lane roads. It's all we have.

And yes, we will be very careful regarding road conditions. We are taking our grandniece up to visit cousins and have told her several times that we might leave a day or two later or earlier, depending on the weather.

One holiday season, I drove from the Twin Cities to Duluth on completely snow covered roads. Traffic was moving but cautiously, thank goodness. And at least it was snow and no ice. Got blindsided by the weather that time.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Jan