PDA

View Full Version : Today in Disney History 12/5

vizsla
12-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Dec. 5, 1782 – Martin Van Buren, the 8th U.S. President, was born in Kinderhook, N.Y. He was the first president to be an American citizen, as his predecessors were born before the American Revolution. He could be visited along with all the U.S. Chief Executives at the “Hall of Presidents” attraction in the Magic Kingdom in WDW.
Dec. 5, 1901 - Walter Elias Disney was born to Flora and Elias Disney in their house at 1249 Tripp Avenue in Chicago, Il. He was named to honor the Disney family’s preacher and friend, Walter Parr.
Dec. 5, 1918 – Walt celebrated his 17th birthday with his Red Cross teammates at a tavern in St. Cyr, France, they stuck him with the bill.
Dec. 5, 1930 – Disney’s Mickey Mouse cartoon “Pioneer Days” was released.
Dec. 5, 1941 – Disney’s Donald Duck cartoon “Chef Donald” was released.
Dec. 5, 1943 – Walt Disney received a birthday greeting (in the form of a letter dated Dec. 5th) from Clarence Nash, the voice of Donald Duck. Nash wrote the letter from Wichita, Ks., as he is on the road performing live with a Donald Duck ventriloquist figure in a show that includes duck cartoons.
Dec. 5, 1945 – Walt Disney wrote his annual birthday letter to his younger sister Ruth (whose birthday is Dec. 6). He writes of family and his next feature “Make Mine Music.” He also describes the work being done on “Uncle Remus” and other stories that are being prepared for nearly 5 years ahead (like Peter Pan). Enclosed is a gift of a check because he has “no more notion about what I should send you than I had this time last year.”
Dec. 5, 1949 – Walt Disney wrote his annual birthday letter to his sister Ruth. He began with the words “here is your birthday check and I hope you will go out and buy yourself something very special with it.” Walt describes his family’s recent stay in Europe and his upcoming release “Treasure Island.”
Dec. 5, 1951 – Walt wrote his traditional birthday letter to his sister Ruth. He describes his Christmas TV show, his current feature “Robin Hood,” and his newest production “Peter Pan.” Walt also wrote of his two daughters Diane and Sharon. He states: I always tell myself I’m going to buy you something for your birthday, but when I get right down to the matter of color, size, and what, I’m bewildered and stuck. So here it is, the check – now you go out and buy something that you’ll like.”
Dec. 5, 1955 – The Mickey Mouse Club aired the episode “Today is Fun With Music Day” on ABC-TV.

SpecJoe Magic
12-05-2010, 07:21 AM
It could be argued that this is the most important day in Disney history. I personally subscribe to that belief. After all, we wouldn't even be talking about Disney history without this day.

ibrowse17
12-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Happy Birthday to the man that brought his dream to life:thumbsup:

pdrlkr
12-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Thanks Vince! :thumbsup: :mickey: