PDA

View Full Version : Which park to visit twice?

familyof5
12-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi all! My family (2 adults, 3 kids:12,10,8) will be at DW for our first trip from December 11-17. We plan on going to all 4 parks at least once (no park hoppers). MK twice, and was thinking about AK twice....But now I'm rethinking this since I heard it's better for only a day visit. What are your thoughts on another park to visit twice? Epcot or HS?

MagicalGuest
12-03-2010, 04:01 PM
We like Epcot much better than AK or HS. But both of the other parks have some great attractions, too. My advice would be to try all at least once, and then decide based on your own family's preferences.

Gator
12-03-2010, 04:07 PM
That's a tough call. If your kids like the thrill coasters, then you'll need to come back to the Studios for the RnRC and Tower. My personal preference would be Epcot - it has some good rides with thrills PLUS all the live entertainment. I really can't get enough, but your kids may no be into the live stuff. As far as AK goes, you should be able to get all the good stuff done in one day. Sure, ExEv is fun as is the Safari and Dinosaur, but it's not stuff you need to come back and do again.

Maleficent_vf
12-03-2010, 04:46 PM
EPCOT would be my choice, hands down. AK is huge and can be a lot of walking for one day, but it doesn't feel like there's more than a day's worth of activities there. HS is okay for a day, but not really more.

You could also spend part of a day at EPCOT and then exit through the International Gateway and head over to HS for the rest of the day.

Personally, it's not a complete trip for me unless I can see Illuminations and Wishes twice. :thumbsup:

minnesotafreeze
12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I usually spend 2-3 days at AK so that would be my choice but if not I would choose Hollywood.:mickey:

Buttercup
12-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Okay so you're going to MK twice, Epcot once, AK once and DHS once.
And you've got one day left over?
I'd personally spend it at Epcot. It's definitely a 2-day park for me like MK is. :mickey:

Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios are definitely 1-day parks in my eyes. Sometimes, I even combine the 2 of them into one day, then spend the rest of the week at Epcot & Magic Kingdom! :)

jmj18
12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I vote for Epcot!

:mickey:

Mousemates
12-03-2010, 08:49 PM
if your kids are thrill ride junkies...the studios might be a good choice.

NokOnHarts
12-03-2010, 11:06 PM
Epcot is difficult to see in 1 day as it is so large, so I tend to say go to Epcot twice. But it really depends on your kids. Epcot was honestly my least favorite park at around 16 years of age the first time I went there but now it's one of my favorites. If you're able to leave the "repeat park" till the last day, I would just decide at that point what the group would prefer to do once more!

JenniferS.
12-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Do Epcot twice. Way better than AK.

Goofeygal
12-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Epcot is my choice.

2MuchWDFun
12-04-2010, 08:58 AM
I recommend going through all the parks once--then revisit whichever park your family decides they want to see more of. Since this is your first trip it is really hard to say which park will turn out to be a family favorite.

I don't think our family could spend two whole days at DHS (they do have some great rides and shows, but not two days worth). EPCOT is a 1 1/2 to 2 day park--lots to see and do--again figure out what will fit your family's preferences.

Any of the other parks are worthy of 2 days. I know some people think that AK is only a 1/2 to 1 day park, but we love exploring the trails, checking out all the animals, seeing all the shows (Nemo, Festival of the Lion King, Flights of Wonder), and riding all the rides--which can easily take two days to do. There's a great mix of thrill rides, easy going rides, shows, parades, and attractions to keep everyone in your family satisfied.

mickeyman42
12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I would say Epcot. even though we are not huge epcot fans, at least there is lots to do and look at. unless you're looking to just recycle a complete day, I dont know what else you would do at AK or HS. We find that 1 full day, going at a VERY leisurely pace is more than enough time to do EVERYTHING at both HS and AK.

At least at Epcot you could easily spend a hour or 2 in the Seas pavillion, hours going around future world at the different pavillions and hours just browsing the WS one day and have another full day to do every ride a bunch of times without burning out.

disney_daddy
12-04-2010, 10:01 AM
I think playing it by ear would be your best bet. Like stated above, go to each park first and then decide which part you'd like to back to.

Thumper03
12-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Okay, to review - the original poster stated that their family was going for their first trip, with young kids, no park hopper option, and needed a second park to visit twice besides MK, and they are going during busy holiday season.

With consideration of the fact that they have never been to WDW, ALL four parks are worthy of two or more days; especially considering they will not be able to simply walk on rides like guests will be able to a month from now. Because of the holiday season, there are a greater number of holiday perks at EPCOT to enjoy than what may be found at AK or DHS. Santas around WS and Candlelight Processional, for example, are worth the extra time. :santa:
Be sure to select your DHS day that includes Fantasmic at night. That’s a must see…get there two hours before showtime. :thumbsup:

There is merit to the advice of making a personal determination after they have been to all the parks – based on their favorites, or what they might have missed.

But those of us who have been fortunate enough to visit WDW multiple times, we should approach advice to newcomers with the veteran’s knowledge of how to approach WDW from a logistics or strategic perspective, balanced with the memories of what it was like when it was all new. :cloud9:
A WDW newbie cannot “do a park” in a day or less. When we advise them so, we do them a disservice, because we deny the Magic that comes with taking your time to appreciate the atmosphere and the details. :nono: Even if you believe those special Disney touches have declined in recent years, they are still doing it better than anyone else…that’s why we keep going back.

Frantic marches from one thrill ride to another are best left to the amusement parks in the Orlando area - WDW is about leaving your cynicism at home, and remembering/sharing the Magic. :magic::welcome::magic:

finaldynasty
12-04-2010, 02:10 PM
My recommendation would be Epcot, with DHS as a close second.

2MuchWDFun
12-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Nicely said, Thumper!:thumbsup:

wdwfansince75
12-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Our first trip, with kids aged 10, 7, and 5, was a three day trip, back when MK was the only park...We did MK for 3 days, stayed busy, but did get to see it all...and revisited all our favorites. We also did trip with newbys multiple times, with kids of many ages.
Personally, I would recommend DHS as the second 2 day park. Lots to do....unique attractions, including RnRC, ToT, TSMM (each worth multiple rides), Indy, Muppets...fun restaurants, and, of course, Fantasmic.
The rest of the family may not agree...some would do MK three times...some would say EPCOT....and if you let the family "decide", what happens if kid#1 wants DHS and kid#2 wants AK?

Since most prefer to do MK the last day, I would leave the fifth day as the "undecided" day, listen to thoughts from the rest of the family, and let their comments guide you...

plutosnana
12-05-2010, 08:08 AM
I'd go with MK! Because MK has alot of rides!

:goofy:

artyboy
12-05-2010, 06:34 PM
If your family is into food, I'd suggest Epcot as it has the most diverse restaurant offerings of any of the parks. This may not be a big deal to your family, but we base our park days on where we plan to dine so that we don't waste time traveling to a restaurant...especially when we're on a shorter trip.

Have fun!:mickey:

lynnek
12-05-2010, 06:50 PM
We just got back from our first trip to WDW. I have kids 12, 10 and 2. We left the last day open for discussion--definitely recommend that! It's obviously going to depend on your kids preferences or yours!!!!! Maybe you leave it up to the adults!! Your choice:) You may find you really want to ride Everest again for that sick to the stomach feeling! Or turn green at Mission Space.

familyof5
12-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for all of your input! I think we'll leave it open and gauge it on our first couple of days in the parks :mickey: