PDA

View Full Version : Lost Items on rides????

Goofy-n-Alabama
12-03-2010, 02:26 PM
I was just wondering how many people have lost an item (hat, wallet, shoe) on a ride at Disney :cry: and were you able to retrieve it??? My brother lost a Special Edition Donald hat on Splash Mountain one time and it was never heard from again. Also, after a while what is actually done with all the nick-nacks they collect at the lost and found that are never claimed?? :confused:

Gator
12-03-2010, 04:10 PM
I'll be suprised if anyone has had anything returned. I lost my RedSox hat on Splash Mountain. I checked back at the park 2 days later and nothing. I called back a week, 2 weeks, and 4 weeks later...and still nothing. Pretty sure all that stuff is deposited in a little place called Reddy Creek Refuse and Disposal.

plutosnana
12-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Never lost anything but I know that once I saw some lady who was French with her daughter, she was so mad that she didn't find her camera after soarin. The CM asked what row are you in? The girl said I DON'T KNOW. The CM just took it as a joke. When you ride BTM they look in the baskets before you leave if I remember right.

:goofy:

joonyer
12-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I lost a hat on Splash mountain also. My own fault. Should have sat on it. Checked back for several days while we were still at WDW but it never turned up. It probably stayed underwater on the bottom somewhere until the attraction was drained for refurb.

PiratesLifeForMe3
12-03-2010, 05:45 PM
At Test Track, we usually always found lost sunglasses, cell phones, wallets, even hats. If hats were lost outside sometimes it took a day to get it turned in, but most stuff was found at close or during open. The only stuff that never got turned in was articles that landed under the tires.

I'm not sure how much of a secret it is, if it is one at all, but all lost and found that is not claimed goes to a cast member exclusive store after 60 or 90 days and is available to purchase for very little cost. If you ever lose something valuable make sure he keep calling every day until it is returned to you. You wouldn't believe how many cast members are wearing 100 dollar sunglasses that were bought for 5 dollars at the store.

Sunshine1010
12-03-2010, 06:44 PM
1. My husband left our entire backpack with EVERYTHING in it on a bus. We got it back 2 hours later.

2. My little boy forgot Pal Mickey on the Monorail. Got it back.

3. My little boy lost Pal Mickey AGAIN on a ride. Got it back hours later.

4. I lost my wallet w/$600 cash in it. Got it back one hour later.

DizneyRox
12-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure how much of a secret it is, if it is one at all, but all lost and found that is not claimed goes to a cast member exclusive store after 60 or 90 days and is available to purchase for very little cost.
I believe it's called "Property Contol"... Disney will sell anything it can. You'll find everything from guest clothing, cameras, sunglasses, old souvies, broken returns, damaged inventory, etc.

All fairly cheap... I think I paid about $20 for someones camera once. Tag said, like new, only dropped once. j/k

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-03-2010, 08:59 PM
In August my m-i-l left her cell phone charger in the room when we switched resorts. She didn't realize it for a couple days. When we contacted "Lost & Found" they said to c'mon over and pick out one that fits the phone since they had dozens of them.

A few years ago my daughter left her backback on Buzz Lightyear. It had all her cash and room key in it and she was crushed. After checking with the ride CMs and City Hall, my wife went back to the ride about 2 hrs later and they had it.
Not a penny had been taken, everything was in it exactly the way she had it. In general I don't have very high expectations for people, but I guess in this instance the proverbial Disney Magic came into play. :mickey:

magicofdisney
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I've checked lost and found many times and have had about 50% of my stuff returned. Thankfully we've never lost anything of great value. Most items were less than $20.

PiratesLifeForMe3
12-03-2010, 11:52 PM
I believe it's called "Property Contol"... Disney will sell anything it can. You'll find everything from guest clothing, cameras, sunglasses, old souvies, broken returns, damaged inventory, etc.

All fairly cheap... I think I paid about $20 for someones camera once. Tag said, like new, only dropped once. j/k

I never had the heart to go in and buy something that a guest lost or left behind (even though I browsed), but the broken/damaged store merchandise made great presents.

ANG
12-04-2010, 06:18 AM
DH lost his hat on Slash Mountain.

And my toddler DS threw his shoe off the monorail. :mad:

NJDad
12-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Daughter left stuff on Dinosaur. Realized it right away. They sent us to the photo area to find out what vehicle we were in, they waited until it cycled through the ride again and got the stuff out of the vehicle.

Jillirose
12-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I left my wallet in the bathroom after checking out of WL. We went for breakfast at Chef Mickey's and right after my first cup of coffee, I realized that it was gone. I was panicked - we had to travel that day and my i.d. was in my wallet!

Our mousekeeper had found it and turned it in :thumbsup: It did take awhile for us to reach lost and found - kept getting answering machine. And, it did take some time to get the blood pressure back down.

mdhiggin
12-04-2010, 01:54 PM
DS left a backpack at WCC, and we got it back in a few hours. We weren't sure if it was at the restaurant or the boat from WL to MK, but they were very helpful at Guest Services.

WDWdriver
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
j/k

Just a clarification if I may. We don't want to give the impression that found items are whisked away to be sold at Property Control. Found items are held at the ride location until the end of the day, and then transferred to a central lost and found area. High value items (cash, purses, wallets, cameras, etc) are turned over to a manager for safekeeping. All lost property is kept for a reasonable time, and in many cases owners are located even after they have returned home. Property Control is the final stop for items that still have some value, but have not been claimed by the owners.

WDWdriver
12-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I lost a hat on Splash mountain also. My own fault. Should have sat on it. Checked back for several days while we were still at WDW but it never turned up. It probably stayed underwater on the bottom somewhere until the attraction was drained for refurb.

If you lose a hat on a water ride (Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids) you are not likely to get it back. The powerful pumps that keep the water moving on these rides will chew up anything that gets into them.

DizneyRox
12-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Just a clarification if I may.
And if I may ask, where does the money from Property Control go? Charity? Profit? That's always been a burning question...

WDWdriver
12-04-2010, 05:35 PM
And if I may ask, where does the money from Property Control go? Charity? Profit? That's always been a burning question...

Good question. I don't know. Some certainly goes to staffing and operating Property Control itself. Beyond that, the money probably goes into the WDW general operating fund. I do know that unclaimed cash found at Animal Kingdom goes to Disney's Animal Conservation Fund charity which supports wildlife protection programs around the world.

BTW, as long as we are on the subject of Property Control, it is far more than a place to sell lost and found items. It is also an outlet for damaged, discontinued and overstocked merchandise from the various park stores. It's a good place for CMs to buy Disney merchandise at a substantial discount. It's a busy place in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

Mufasa
12-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Proceeds from any items sold at Property Control are distributed to charities through Disney's community outreach and giving programs (DisneyHAND).

The State of Florida and California each have recommended guidelines on how long an item should be held to allow for it to be claimed- generally, 30 days for most things, but any items that are considered high value like jewelry, watches, etc are to be held for a minimum of 90 days from when they are logged into lost and found.

If items go unclaimed, then they get separated into different groups- items like strollers, wheelchairs or crutches, eyeglasses, or things like new stuffed animals are usually separated out and then given to charities with the remaining items sent off to property control.

DizneyRox
12-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Proceeds from any items sold at Property Control are distributed to charities through Disney's community outreach and giving programs (DisneyHAND).
That's the answer I was hoping to hear... Thanks!

disneymom2000
12-05-2010, 12:33 AM
We have lost several things:

1). A bottle of Coca-cola fell out of the side pocket when we rode Space Mountain (we just hoped it didn't hit anyone on it's way down)

2). Lost camera on BTMRR and when we went back they were holding it for us

3). Daughter left cell phone (Blackberry) in taxi from EPCOT back to resort and through the extensive transportation/communication grid were able to locate which taxi and got the driver contacted and he met us one of the resorts that we stopped at on the Magical Express on way back to airport. Gotta love WDW. :yay:

magicofdisney
12-05-2010, 08:27 AM
I've checked lost and found many times and have had about 50% of my stuff returned. Thankfully we've never lost anything of great value. Most items were less than $20.
It realized after I posted this you were referring to items lost on rides.

My daughter lost her flip-flop on Buzz Lightyear. Since a missing shoe tends to be noticed right away, we only had to wait for a couple of complete ride circuits to have it returned.

Scar
12-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Found items are held at the ride location until the end of the day, and then transferred to a central lost and found area. High value items (cash, purses, wallets, cameras, etc) are turned over to a manager for safekeeping.Either the policy changed in the last 5 years or they weren't following it. We left a nice camera on Dinosaur 5 or so years ago. When we realized it, we went back to the ride. Maybe an hour had passed. They had us go through the pictures to determine what car we were in. When we found the picture, they said they had already sent it to guests relations. By the time we got to guest relations they had already sent it to the TTC, well before park closing. We did get it back.

PiratesLifeForMe3
12-05-2010, 03:12 PM
At Epcot, we would take take lost and found to guest relationships multiple times throughout the day if we had extra cast members "tasking". The final lost and found was always taken between 8:45 and 9:15-30 and then we were always told after the last guests are out of the park and guest relations is closed then the lost and found is transported over to the main lost and found at the TTC.

malz288
12-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I loved property control. Prada sunglasses for ten bucks. cant beat that!

2Epcot
12-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I've only lost a couple of things at the parks. At Disneyland I lost a cap, which I never went back to see if it was returned. At WDW a member of our party lost one of my two-way radios. He left it behind on the Kilimanjaro safari ride. He immediately went back after getting off, and waited for the vehicle to return, but the radio was never found. Days later nobody had reported turning it in either.

SteveL
12-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I lost a hat on Splash Mountain and went to the Lost and Found at MK the next day. It wasn't there but they took a report. About a week later it came in the mail. It was pretty unique so it was easy to identify.
Once got a 14k gold bracelet at Property Control for $5.

andywicks
12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I lost a pair of Ray Bans on the indoor ride in Mexico and Disney Golf Cap on the big drop on Splash Mountain!:confused:

I never got either back! However, I did mention it to one of the shop assistants at Downtown disney a year later: "I used to have a hat like this 'til I lost it on splash mountain! " She pulled the label off and gave it to me! I really wasn't angling for this but was delighted and it was a proper Disney service moment!:mickey:

SBETigg
12-06-2010, 10:57 AM
My son lost a hat on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, not quite catching on to the "hang on to your hats and glasses!" spiel. We considered it lost and bought him a new one. But he left his phone on Space Mountain and we did go to the Lost and Found at the TTC to track it down two days later-- and they had it! In good working order. We were very pleased.

mainemajor
12-06-2010, 06:58 PM
We left a stuffed animal on Toy Story. We went about 100 yards and remembered. We went back to the ride and told the first CM we saw. She was very helpful. She took us in and there were a number of bags and we retrieved ours. This made my DS very happ as he had spent his own money on it.

Mousemates
12-07-2010, 11:04 AM
I lost a Wall Drug South Dakota hat on Prime Evil Whirl...couldn't get any one to get it for me, and was told it would not be picked up until the end of the day. Went back the next morning and it was gone...checked with CMs at ride, then guest relations, and was finally sent to Lost and Found near the TTC and it never showed up. To me it was not really a big deal because I figured the chances of getting a hat backwere slim to begin with.

However my wife called Wall Drug to see if they still carried the particular style (and when she told them the story and that it was my all-time favorite cap they sent me a replacement). So the story had a happy ending anyway.

Brettracie
01-04-2011, 07:41 PM
We left a video recorder charger at our hotel room at Animal Kingdom and they mailed it to us before we even realized we had left it!

crltkcagle
01-04-2011, 08:00 PM
DH lost a hat on Buzz Lightyear. Was recovered at Lost and Found.
DS lost a hat on Figment when they blow the air at you. Was recovered at Lost and Found.
DS lost a hat on Peter Pan. Was never recovered.
DH claims he lost a ton of money when I went shopping on Main street. Was never recovered. :mickey:

Hair_Razor
01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
My DS borrowed one of my DH's favourite hat and lost it accidentally at Norway. We thought for sure it was a loss but decided to check lost and found on the way out and were fortunate enough that it was returned.

I definitely think it's the Disney Magic because I don't know that this happens everywhere. When we went to Niagara Falls my DS left his stuffed Snowman at the hotel and we weren't an hour out of the hotel and they said it was gone and cleaning crew never found it.:( He was very upset.

forever a child
01-04-2011, 10:08 PM

I have never heard of DisneyHAND. I'll have to see if I can find out more info. Sounds interesting. Does anyone have any info on what they do?

mom2morgan
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Not quite a ride, but my daughter left a new hat at the theatre in Downtown Disney. She went back 15 minutes later, not there - tried the next morning, and later that day. Never did get it back, so someone must have lifted it - which is odd since there were only 2 or 3 other families in the theatre!

brivers222
01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I am 2 for 3 (although the 2 finds are not on rides)

In 2004 i was following several bad leads about bringing a cheap toaster from home to use in the hotel room to make toaster strudel and pop tarts and whatnot. Well it was cheap and i really didn't want to lug it home... so i just cleaned it up nicely and left it in the room. Surprisingly about 3 weeks later the USPS guy drops off this big package from disney... my toaster made it back to be... joys lol

In 2006 I lost my camera (with case that had hall my money, tickets and credit cards in it) while were at the CS in SSR. I must have put it down at the checkout and it blended in with the merchandise and totally missed it. We ate our meal and then went out to the car before heading to the park. It was then that i realized I had lost it.... In a frantic attempt I called SSR and asked if anyone reported or returned a camera... to my shock the CM said yes they had and we have it up at the front desk. I just had to come in and verifiy it was me, luckily my picture on my Drivers License resembles me in person lol

Another trip I left one of those $1.99 spray fans from walmart on EE. I tried to get that back and never did find it.

laysan
01-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Neat! Though, we used an old stroller at disneyland a couple of years ago and then donated it ourselves.

Imagineer1981
01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Good question. I don't know. Some certainly goes to staffing and operating Property Control itself. Beyond that, the money probably goes into the WDW general operating fund. I do know that unclaimed cash found at Animal Kingdom goes to Disney's Animal Conservation Fund charity which supports wildlife protection programs around the world.

BTW, as long as we are on the subject of Property Control, it is far more than a place to sell lost and found items. It is also an outlet for damaged, discontinued and overstocked merchandise from the various park stores. It's a good place for CMs to buy Disney merchandise at a substantial discount. It's a busy place in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

I bought 5 of those large 2 foot disney statues there for 20 bucks each. One is actually an unpainted prototype of a goofy statue...very cool

magicofdisney
01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I bought 5 of those large 2 foot disney statues there for 20 bucks each. One is actually an unpainted prototype of a goofy statue...very cool
Oh, I'm so jealous! ;) I paid about $150 for a Mickey one. I'd love to explore and buy those items from property control.

Grumpy.
01-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Epipen left on a Safari. Found later at Guest Relations.

Backpack full of autograph books and the like forgotten while getting Chip and Dales' signatures. Found in a tree with some nuts. ;) (actually found at Epcot Guest Relations).

7 year old son. Found with a CM minutes later, he had just handed her the button we had put on him with our phone numbers on it.

We're three for three in the lost and recovered department.

sainter
01-06-2011, 08:37 AM
We left a video recorder charger at our hotel room at Animal Kingdom and they mailed it to us before we even realized we had left it!

This happened to us too!! At POR. :thumbsup:

brdavis
01-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I can't remember all the lost & founds we've had, but most fairly minor (a coat left on a chair, etc... all retrieved when we went back to the location). The worst was when I left my camera on Indy at DL... CM's found it, stored it, handed it right back when I relived it was missing 10 minutes later. Best was when I forgot to take my DVC hat off on SM at MK. Down the big drop it sailed off me head... only to be caught two people back be a random ride pair-up :).

--
Brian Davis

brdavis
01-07-2011, 09:29 AM
7 year old son. Found with a CM minutes later...
Although to be fair, this was at Disney, right? As my children have informed me, at Disney the child isn't lost... the *parent* is. Yes, I have some remarkably independent and self-confident children (sometimes too much).

--
Brian Davis

ginny57
01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Lost my camera case with the rental car keys in it on the day were were flying home....had it back within an hour of realizing it was gone.

My friend lost her cell phone on Dinosaur....it was found and we picked it up the next day @ Lost and Found by the MK.

Also lost $$ and park passes while I was @ Universal IOA and, after approaching an employee there, walkie talkies went to work and I had everything back in 20 minutes!

These places have this stuff down to a science for sure!

tarkin
01-08-2011, 01:43 PM
2004, Halloween Night. Riding Buzz Lightyear my son lost his lightsaber which was part of his Jedi costume. He cried the entire ride. We asked a CM and within 5 minutes we had it back. The CM came back with a basket full of stuff. They must run through the ride constantly looking for stuff.

Dulcee
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Several years ago my sister lost her engagement ring in Epcot. She was unsure where in the park it had happened and was devastated when she realized. After frantic phone calls and several tense hours later it was found and turned in to a cast member and returned safe and sound to my very grateful sister and brother in law.

Daisy712
01-08-2011, 05:07 PM
My mother lost her sunglasses in the 1/4 inch gap between the boat and pier in the Norway ride. I don't know how she managed that. They were never returned.

My daughter intentionally left her cell phone in the room when we checked out of CBR in the hopes of getting a new phone when she got home. Before we arrived home, there was a message from Disney saying they had the cell phone and to contact them. Needless to say, a very disappointed 14 year old. :thumbsup:

Dulcee
01-09-2011, 10:35 AM
My daughter intentionally left her cell phone in the room when we checked out of CBR in the hopes of getting a new phone when she got home. Before we arrived home, there was a message from Disney saying they had the cell phone and to contact them. Needless to say, a very disappointed 14 year old. :thumbsup:

Hehe that sounds like something my sister or I would have done as kids..:secret:

jwildflower1981
01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
My DH lost his cell phone on Sorin. I got a phone call from his phone and it was a man who found it and called the last person he dialed. He was so nice. He took time out of his vacation schedule to bring it to us at our resort since we flew and didn't have a car.