PDA

View Full Version : Body Wars - Any thoughts on what will be in that space one day?

Boost
12-01-2010, 06:27 PM
While at EPCOT last week, our kids were asking what was in the old Body Wars structure. After explaining some of the old EPCOT days (Horizon, Body Wars, what the Seas used to be like, etc.), I started to think about the question.

Being in marketing, I would imagine that the entire square footage of WDW is paid for in full and that any present and future revenue is profit for shareholders after expenses and whatever is set aside for future endeavors.

Still, I would imagine that somewhere, discussions must be taking place along the lines of, "Who can we sell a pavilion to in these really dark economic times?", and such a question would be centered around an empty area like the former Body Wars. Also, there is still an empty space near Captain EO over the water...I think it used to be the Odyssey restaurant or something?

Does anyone have any perspective on the thinking or thought processes towards empty spaces in the parks?

Gator
12-01-2010, 07:30 PM
This is an easy one for me, and this would fit perfectly into Future World. Make it the "World of Tron". When you walk into the pavillion, it would be the game grid with Tron-dressed CMs saying "Greetings Programs". Body Wars could be turned into a ride on a Recognizer. There could be VR games that you could play, kinda simialr to what they have at the end of SSE. And of course, an arcade would be right in the middle of the action.

What WDW needs in more Tron.:mickey:

PiratesLifeForMe3
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Wonders of Life will need to be torn down if anything is going to be put in its place. The building has bad mold problems that you can smell and see (maybe not from the front). The space is there for something great though.

CaptSmee
12-02-2010, 12:20 AM
The former Odyssey restaurant is on the Test Track side of the water. They need to imagineer up some greatness for these 2 spots that you mentioned!

JabberJaws
12-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Although I think they will likely just tear the whole thing down and build something new from scratch, I think a new thing would be a pavilion based around the weather and weather research and the feature attraction could be the Storm Riders next-gen simulator from TDS.

I doubt they will ultimately put another simulator in there that close to MS though.

A Tron attraction would be neat, but I think that fits better in DHS.

PiratesLifeForMe3
12-03-2010, 03:08 AM
The former Odyssey restaurant is on the Test Track side of the water. They need to imagineer up some greatness for these 2 spots that you mentioned!

Odyssey definitely needs something done with it. It is only getting used for private parties and cast member events and it is just a waste of space. It looks great inside and the kitchen gets a lot of use. If anything they won't let anything happen there just so they have that extra kitchen right in the middle of the park.

Wonders of Life is just a disaster though. They run the air conditioner in there all day every day even when nothing is going on and the only time it is used is for Food/Wine and Flower/Garden so the special events in there must bring in more money than it costs to keep it cool otherwise realistically it would be gone.

SpecJoe Magic
12-03-2010, 05:22 AM
The huge amount of wasted space at Epcot bothers me so much. Any new attraction to replace what used to be Wonders of Life would be an improvement, though I must say a weather pavilion sounds interesting (so does Tron but I don't think it's a good fit for Epcot). That said, I wouldn't want the premiere attraction to be another motion simulator. Epcot already has two major motion simulators, Mission: Space and Soarin'.

As much as I want something to replace what used to be Wonders of Life, I think the empty Odyssey building is even worse. At least the former Wonders of Life pavilion is somewhat hidden whereas the former Odyssey building is a real eyesore that is out in the open and is located on a main thoroughfare between Future World and World Showcase.

Unfortunately, it appears that the prospect of anything new in the near future at either of these locations is slim.

Boost
12-05-2010, 06:43 AM
I just did a current search on top ten U.S. companies in the Fortune 500. Several oil companies, GE, etc.....

It has been a long time since an airline was associated with the parks (Eastern Airlines, Delta - "If You Had Wings" and "Dreamflight")....could be something good for a replacement for Wonders of Life, but then there is the question of why wouldn't such a sponsor be better for Soarin'.

Of course, it would be great to see Horizons be reimagineered and built in the spot where the empty Wonders of Life building is now.

I know that it is discussed on here from time to time, but what exactly happened to Horizons? I loved that attraction very much.

Joannelet
12-05-2010, 07:47 AM
I know that it is discussed on here from time to time, but what exactly happened to Horizons? I loved that attraction very much.

There are a lot of rumors as to why Horizons closed down. One of the main reasons that they gave was the building was literally on a sink hole that was getting worst as time went on. Supposedly there are pics out there of a large hole underneath one of the sections when they started to collapse the building. They put all metal bars into it to fill it before building on that site. But supposedly the building structure itself was having major problems.

sportsguy2315
12-05-2010, 12:08 PM
As stated before, with the economy the way it is combined with companies cutting "extra expenses" (read: Pavilion sponsorships and Kodak) and with DCA's revamp/the Fantasyland expansion being priority there's going to be nothing major done in Epcot there until those two projects are done. That said, I was lucky enough on my last WDW trip to go into WoL when it was still operating as a pavilion.

I distinctly remember two things: One was the CM telling me how it literally was on its last legs (It closed for good three weeks later). The other was what a former shell of itself it was or any other pavilion can be without sponsorship. Outside of a very very very dated Body Wars and Cranium Command, there was nothing operating. It was sad to see it such a state of disrepair associated with Disney but I did enjoy that I got one last ride in Body Wars and one last show of Cranium Command.

Brandi1leigh
12-05-2010, 10:34 PM
If I had my wish I would want something absolutely new and innovative without a corporate sponsor. I love the idea of a weather pavilion.

or I would love to see a Meet the Robinsons tie in. I don't know exactly what the attraction would be. I'll leave that up to the imagineers. ;)

However, as many have stated in these economic times, I have a more practical idea as well:

For a while now I have read rumors that Disney wants to close down DisneyQuest. If that were to happen, I could see them moving some of the more popular attractions from there into a new home where BodyWars is. They could tie it into Tron. I agree that Tron fits better at HS; however, I don't think it would be completely out of place in Epcot.

MickeysBestPal
12-06-2010, 11:33 AM
...what a former shell of itself it was or any other pavilion can be without sponsorship.

Spaceship Earth operated for a long time without a sponsor.
(It now does have a current sponsor, again.)

Energy has been running without a sponsor for years and years.

The Seas now may or may not have a corporate sponsor. I don't recall.

Regardless, there are many WDW attractions that once had an outside sponsor, that are now running without a corporate connection.

For whatever reason, the WD company did not wish to continue to operate WOL... and so, it's gone.

SandmanGStefani24
02-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Wonders of Life will need to be torn down if anything is going to be put in its place. The building has bad mold problems that you can smell and see (maybe not from the front). The space is there for something great though.

what a shame...I loved that ride and to see it in that shape kills me.

If i won the lottery one of the things I would do is sponsor an attraction. :D Wonder how much it would take?

waymickey
02-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I would want to see a new WOL life there. I liked that pavilion and only got to see it twice. i loved the crooked house the stationary bikes and all the cool optical illusions.

Hebbynan
02-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Since the Fairies are moving to Epcot, and seeing as it's near the Land and the Seas...I think it would be an awesome place to move Pixie Hollow or some other kind of 'mother nature' themed building and have the fairies meet and greet in there.

Imagineer1981
02-16-2011, 04:06 PM
I think the WoL pavilion is still a good fit. It fit nicely in Future World and I'd like to see it reimagined soon