PDA

View Full Version : Wish we hadn't atteneded MVMCP

ANG
12-01-2010, 09:00 AM
We're mid week of our family vacation. We attended MVMCP last night for the first time and DH and I were very disappointed.

First of all, it's hard to get in the Christmas spirit when it's mid 80s at night and you're sweating. No way could you enjoy free cocoa and the cookies, well I might as well have just eaten a jar of sprinkles.

The parade was not much different than the daily afternoon parade. Exceptions where some of the characters had on holiday costumes/scarves and the floats were lit. So DH and I decided to ditch the parade towards the end and try the rides. I thought they would be less crowded but I was very wrong. There was still at LEAST a 20 minute wait for most of them.

And where was Santa Mickey? I asked several CMs and they said there wasn't one anywhere! We also didn't see any characters out for greeting.

Wishes was the only decent part, IMO. And even that wasn't worth the $50 each.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the party?

We attended the MNSSHP in 2006 and were MUCH happier with the night. The parade was different/very entertaining. Characters seemed to be everywhere. The Wishes was spectacular.

faline
12-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Sorry you found the part disappointing!

ginger19
12-01-2010, 09:21 AM
We weren't too happy with it either honestly. We couldn't get near the parade as it was absolutely packed along the parade route and the fireworks were the same. We did walk on most rides though so at least that part was good. I never saw a cocoa or cookie station but I did see the park littered with cups like I have never seen before. There was trash everywhere. I'm not sure that we would do it again except that my DH hates lines so he loved walking on the rides like we did.

I did see CM's asking people to see their bracelets at some spots but no one checked for SM and it was a 30 minute wait to get on there and the parade route was loaded with people without bracelets.

bostonsam
12-01-2010, 09:22 AM
wow...sorry to hear that!?seems like it would be the most magical holiday event ever seen(all the preperation/hard work that Disney goes with it) but hopefully we'll enjoy it...can't wait:heart:hope its 80's @ night when we arrive:confused:fingers crossed;)

Stu29573
12-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Wow, I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience. We went two weeks ago and it was wonderful! The temperature was 59, the crowds were light. We saw the Christmas shows, fireworks, and parade with no problem. I thought the parade was great and especially liked the gingerbread men and toy soldiers. The floats, for the most part, were not the ones used in the regular parade. I don't know how you could have missed the snack stands, because they were everywhere, with CMs calling to guests offering them coco and cookies. The rides were all walk ons and the CM's checked wristbands like crazy. All in all it was a wonderful night!:thumbsup:

BugeyedMuggy
12-01-2010, 09:47 AM
We will be at the party tomorrow nite and it will be about 45°. I wish it would be more like 80 and I would sacrifice the hot chocolate.

ChipDale2708
12-01-2010, 09:57 AM
We will be at the party tomorrow nite and it will be about 45°. I wish it would be more like 80 and I would sacrifice the hot chocolate.

We'll be at the party Sunday night and I agree - I'll take 80 degrees over hot chocolate. But then again I bought cute long sleeved holiday shirts to wear all week, so the cooler temp will be nice w/ those. Can't wait to get there!!:santa3:

Ian
12-01-2010, 09:58 AM
We agree. We're not even doing MVMCP this year, because it's just not worth it anymore.

They couldn't resist the money grab and just started selling so many more tickets that the park is actually more crowded now during the party than it is during the day!

Why would I pay $50 more to stand in longer lines??? :confused:

Stu29573
12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
We agree. We're not even doing MVMCP this year, because it's just not worth it anymore.

They couldn't resist the money grab and just started selling so many more tickets that the park is actually more crowded now during the party than it is during the day!

Why would I pay $50 more to stand in longer lines??? :confused:

I guess it depends on when you go. We were there on the 18th and while the crowds were very light, they were light in the park that day anyway (although the party crowds were lighter). I was very impressed. I guess we got lucky!

Strmchsr
12-01-2010, 11:04 AM
We'll be at the party Sunday night and I agree - I'll take 80 degrees over hot chocolate.

Will you Yankees please quit trying to deprive those of us in the Deep South of our 2 or 3 days of winter each year. :D I get so sick of the heat I'm happy for a break!

faline
12-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Will you Yankees please quit trying to deprive those of us in the Deep South of our 2 or 3 days of winter each year. :D I get so sick of the heat I'm happy for a break!

Sorry Chris! But I'm also one of those northerners who would rather wear shorts to the Christmas party!

12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
We're mid week of our family vacation. We attended MVMCP last night for the first time and DH and I were very disappointed.

First of all, it's hard to get in the Christmas spirit when it's mid 80s at night and you're sweating. No way could you enjoy free cocoa and the cookies, well I might as well have just eaten a jar of sprinkles.

The parade was not much different than the daily afternoon parade. Exceptions where some of the characters had on holiday costumes/scarves and the floats were lit. So DH and I decided to ditch the parade towards the end and try the rides. I thought they would be less crowded but I was very wrong. There was still at LEAST a 20 minute wait for most of them.

And where was Santa Mickey? I asked several CMs and they said there wasn't one anywhere! We also didn't see any characters out for greeting.

Wishes was the only decent part, IMO. And even that wasn't worth the $50 each.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the party?

We attended the MNSSHP in 2006 and were MUCH happier with the night. The parade was different/very entertaining. Characters seemed to be everywhere. The Wishes was spectacular.

Let me guess, your favorite Disney character is SCROOGE McDUCK.

When you said the parade was not much different than the day parade, you gave yourself away. The ONLY thing that they share is the Castle float. Every other float is different.

Melanie
12-01-2010, 11:18 AM

I have to agree with this! I'm so ready for some cooler weather. Don't even feel like pulling out my Christmas decorations in the warm weather we've been having. Cool stuff....come on down! :cold:

DizneyRox
12-01-2010, 11:48 AM
IMHO the best after hours event is MNSSHP, I'd take that over MVMCP any day. I haven't found much redeeming about the Christmas party.

BUT, given the choice or a Halloween vacation or a Christmas vacation, I'll take Christmas in the world every time. The whole resort is much more festive for XMas than Halloween, although Halloween is still my favorite holiday.

Quite honestly, I can hardly tell the difference between any of the parades at MK these days. I've seen many of the same floats since the mid 90's, although I'll admit, since there hasn't been much change, we haven't gone to many recently either.

The weather in Florida for XMas is a bit of a downer as well. I'd prefer like 60's over the 80's. You don't want to be walking around in the 30's!

BrerGnat
12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't really understand the whole MVMCP thing. I think they should just do the holiday parade every afternoon and make the Holiday Wishes the "nightly" entertainment for the holiday season.

This is how they do it at Disneyland (although, rumor is this is the last year of running things this way). :( I think if you are going to advertise the "Holiday" season, it's only right to let EVERYONE experience the same festive parades and fireworks. It's really greedy of Disney to even hold this event. Halloween...that's a bit different, IMO. That party seems appropriate, what with the costumes and trick or treat stations and all. But, the Christmas season just seems like Disney could drop the "party" very easily.

These hard ticket events, generally, are a big turn off for me. I'll never pay for one...

JabberJaws
12-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I've always enjoyed it the times that I've done it, but I will say that I do enjoy it more when it is cold outside. It isn't so much that I like the cold, more just that it adds to the Christmas atmosphere.

I think I like MNSSHP better than MVMCP, but they are both fun IMO. Sorry you didn't have such a great experience!

disneylovinmom
12-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Sorry you didn't enjoy it. We loved it when we went a couple years ago. It was cool in the evening, but not enough for a coat, and there were no lines for anything. We saw plenty of characters, also. Maybe they have made some changes?

bostonsam
12-01-2010, 01:19 PM

When you said the parade was not much different than the day parade, you gave yourself away. The ONLY thing that they share is the Castle float. Every other float is different.

lol:rotfl:

jmj18
12-01-2010, 02:21 PM
We LOVED it the 1st time we went. But, I agree once was enough. We didn't enjoy it as much the 2nd time.

I do like when it's a bit cooler too.

:mickey:

PopPhan
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
I have to agree with this! I'm so ready for some cooler weather. Don't even feel like pulling out my Christmas decorations in the warm weather we've been having. Cool stuff....come on down! :cold:

Mel, you can have it!!! Up here in south central PA it went from 61 at 6am to 31 at noon today!! Along with moderate to high winds and bucketloads of rain! (And we can't get rid of rain as easily as you can down there on that sandbar!! LOL)

2Epcot
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear the party wasn't worth it for you.

I don't really understand the whole MVMCP thing. I think they should just do the holiday parade every afternoon and make the Holiday Wishes the "nightly" entertainment for the holiday season.

This is how they do it at Disneyland (although, rumor is this is the last year of running things this way).

I was going to say the same thing. The rumor is Disneyland will go to a paid event like this starting next year. While we certainly have the cooler weather this time of year, I'm not looking forward to having to pay beyond my annual pass to see the holiday entertainment.

When they switched Disneyland Halloween events to a hard ticket this year, I skipped it, even though I loved the fireworks show they debuted for Halloween last year. I instead spent that money at Knotts Berry Farm to see their Halloween entertainment for the first time.

Gator
12-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I know what you mean. I went to the party in 2006. It had an extra parade which isn't as good as Spectromagic. It had some fireworks which didn't really compare to Wishes. The lines for the rides were still long, and the crowds for the parade and Christmas shows were enormous. They had free hot cocoa and cookies, but they weren't worth $50/person.

We didn't go to the party when we were back in Dec 2008. Didn't see the point, until I realized that the days the MK doesn't have the party are crazy busy. Made me want to spend the extra money to go the day of the party so the crowds would be better. After that, I started going in January instead. No party throughout the week to mess up my schedule.

Ian
12-01-2010, 06:35 PM
When they switched Disneyland Halloween events to a hard ticket this year, I skipped it, even though I loved the fireworks show they debuted for Halloween last year. I instead spent that money at Knotts Berry Farm to see their Halloween entertainment for the first time.That's the right thing to do if you object to the hard ticket events.

They'll keep selling the tickets as long as people keep going. That's why we're not doing MVMCP this year. It bottomed out for us.

buzznwoodysmom
12-01-2010, 09:21 PM
We've now been to all 3 of the hard ticket events, and MVMCP was our favorite of the three. I am sorry you were so disappointed. As much as we enjoyed all the events we've decided that we aren't doing anymore of them again. The prices have become insane for what you get. Like another poster mentioned, as long as enough people are willing to pay for it they'll continue having them and the prices will continue going up.

PiratesLifeForMe3
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
The party isn't worth it for everyone, but it can be smart financially depending on the length of the trip. For instance, we are planning to be in the parks for 3 total days. A two day ticket plus a party ticket is actually cheaper than a three day park ticket. When you get 8 hours in the park for a party night that limits the amount of guests in the park which leads to short lines you don't need the full day. For the Halloween party, my mom and I entered MK at 4 and we got done 75 percent of the attractions and that was with watching both parades and the fireworks. But, it just isn't for everyone.

CaptSmee
12-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Well...I can say that we went 1 Thurs night and it was quite enjoyable. Crowds were extremely light, we waited for practically nothing. The parade was wonderful (not sure what parade you saw during the day that was the same???) and the fireworks were a highlight for sure. The castle show was very good, the Tomorrowland show not so good. The only thing we sadly missed was Mickey's Twas The Night Before Xmas that they used to perform during the party.

AHOTE
12-02-2010, 12:58 AM
That's the right thing to do if you object to the hard ticket events.

They'll keep selling the tickets as long as people keep going. That's why we're not doing MVMCP this year. It bottomed out for us.

I agree, what I know they are doing is selling as many tickets as they possibly can. Ticket sales, for events like this, used to be limited to a certain number, you can tell that this is no longer the case. I can't gauge the MVMCP as we were there the first night and I understand attendance is generally light during the first week. We did MNSSHP three years ago and it was a super experience. Crowds were moderate with no exceptionally long wait times. This year you could hardly move for the crowds and we went mid-week in early October. It actually felt like there were more people in the park that night than had been in the park that day. We didn't even bother to get treats as the lines were so long and forget about the E ticket rides. We will not do either event in the future. We can wander around DTD instead and spend our money in all the new stores and restaurants and reminisce about all the things we miss on PI. :D

ANG
12-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Wow quite harsh. I'm only sharing my opinion and asking if others had similar experiences. And I know I've seen a lot of the floats before, perhaps from the Halloween party.

I truly love Disney (or else why would I have bought into the DVC). And I was looking forward to this party for months.

lovinmesomedisney
12-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I went to the Halloween Party in September, and I agree, definitely not worth the extra money. It was beyond crowded, half the people there did not have bracelets on, and therefore, did not pay for the party, the lines for the characters were ridiculous and even the ride lines were much longer than they were when we attended the park the day before, just for a regular day. It was our first time trying a party, and needless to say, our last! Can you spell RIP OFF???

BellesRose
12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
To the OP, I agree with you completely! It's just hard to get in the Christmas spirit when you're sweating.

Also, who wants to stand in long lines when it's supposed to be a limited ticket event that you paid extra to get in?!

I do love the Halloween party, though I haven't been since 2008 and don't know when I'll be back. By then, it might not be as good either.

Stickey
12-02-2010, 12:22 PM
We have enjoyed every MVMCP that we attended( 2004, 2005, 2008, and 2009).
The parade, fireworks,shows, and special characters are worth the ticket price. The elimination of Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas show is a negative. Rides are not a priority.

Crowd control for all of the parties is a concern. I found MNSSHP to be much more of a problem with excessive crowds. The park must be cleared of every one without a party ticket.

Regarding weather, it is highly unlikely that you will experience real winter weather in FL. Most will find these conditions at home. We preferred last year's weather of 70 over previous parties, which ranged from 36-45.

MKFD43
12-02-2010, 01:03 PM
We went last year. It was cold an raining. The lines were short, the cocoa was hot and the cookies not great, We had a blast. The short lines were great, I think that the cold/rain helped with that. Not sure I would do it again. I would rather spend that money on a buffet dinner somewhere.

magicofdisney
12-02-2010, 02:22 PM
I think all of your complaints have merit except the one about the weather. Weather happens, there is nothing you can do about it.

I've only attended one hard ticket event, many years ago. Nothing about it made me want to do another one, except the monetary value of time versus costs. If the park is truly overcrowded now, then there is no value left for me.

GBBT
12-02-2010, 03:55 PM

Not a Yankee Chris(just 2 states above you),but I hope it's not COLD there the 19th-26th. I'll take 68 during the day and 50's at night thank you.:D After we leave you can have 3 feet of snow.:D

CaptSmee
12-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Wow quite harsh. I'm only sharing my opinion and asking if others had similar experiences. And I know I've seen a lot of the floats before, perhaps from the Halloween party.

I truly love Disney (or else why would I have bought into the DVC). And I was looking forward to this party for months.

I won't be as harsh, but the parade is unique in it's floats other than the castle float that houses all the princesses during the x-mas parade & the Goofy's candy shop float that I had never seen in the parade until this year. The castle float is used during the daily parade, and the Goofy float is used for the Boo To You Halloween party parade.

Mousemates
12-02-2010, 06:22 PM

yeah...the response to your post seemed to be a bit over the top when I read it too...fortunately that doesn't happen all that often around here...but anyway, I am with you on the Christmas party...not worth the extra cost....and why the folks who like it so much get upset when someone else doesn't really baffles me...that just means the overly crowded parks will have a bit more breathing room without us being there.

DizneyRox
12-02-2010, 07:34 PM

yeah...the response to your post seemed to be a bit over the top when I read it too...fortunately that doesn't happen all that often around here...
Agree, quite the response from a RL CM... Oh, well, at least crowds are way up!

SpecJoe Magic
12-03-2010, 05:28 AM
I have never understood the appeal of the Christmas Party. I've never been, but it has always seemed to me to be only minor additions to the Magic Kingdom for a large price. I've seen Holiday Wishes and the Christmas Parade when they were showing them on non-party days, and I can't imagine paying extra for that when I enjoy regular Wishes and Spectro Magic/ Electrical Parade more anyway.

On the other hand, I'm a little interested in the Halloween Party, as I've heard great things about it (though I'm afraid that it won't be as good as it used to be if they aren't limiting the number of tickets sold anymore). I'm still not completely sold on any hard ticket events at the park, but I might consider that one. We are rarely at WDW at that time of year anyway, but maybe we'll get an opportunity to attend eventually.

ANG
12-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Regarding weather, it is highly unlikely that you will experience real winter weather in FL. Most will find these conditions at home. We preferred last year's weather of 70 over previous parties, which ranged from 36-45.

We're still here in DW. Yesterday's high was 66 haha, I had to wear 2 sweatshirts during Fantasmic!

I'm very happy it didn't rain our party night, but it was also the highest temp of the entire week. Oh well.

Strmchsr
12-03-2010, 09:30 AM
We're still here in DW. Yesterday's high was 66 haha, I had to wear 2 sweatshirts during Fantasmic!

If you're going to be down there more than another couple of days, it's going to be even colder starting Monday!

MCeee
12-05-2010, 10:48 AM
This thread... as with many others like it proves one thing:
EVERYTHING of this nature is SUBJECTIVE. When you toss together...

the personal preferences of many individuals
constantly changing weather conditions
continuously fluctuating crowd levels

...the yield is this thread.

I've read many threads like this in my trip planning/prep stages and been very confused about what's going on at WDW. The fact is, every single trip I take to WDW, I'm very happy just anticipating our arrival, and very sad contemplating our departure. If there's one thing I've learned... if you spend $ trying something for the first time and you don't like it... don't repeat it, and recognize that, while you may dislike it, others absolutely LOVE it. :mickey:

ANG
12-05-2010, 04:48 PM
This thread... as with many others like it proves one thing:
EVERYTHING of this nature is SUBJECTIVE. When you toss together...

the personal preferences of many individuals
constantly changing weather conditions
continuously fluctuating crowd levels

...the yield is this thread.

I've read many threads like this in my trip planning/prep stages and been very confused about what's going on at WDW. The fact is, every single trip I take to WDW, I'm very happy just anticipating our arrival, and very sad contemplating our departure. If there's one thing I've learned... if you spend $ trying something for the first time and you don't like it... don't repeat it, and recognize that, while you may dislike it, others absolutely LOVE it. :mickey:

I absolutely agree! While it wasn't for us, I hope others have a better experience.

Granny Jill A
12-06-2010, 01:44 PM
My sister and I went in December several years ago, and I signed up for MVMCP as a special treat. It was freezing cold and the park was packed to the rafters. We stood in line for hot chocolate and cookies only to find out they had run out of cookies. The hot chocolate was unremarkable, a surprise for me because I like Nestle's cocoa.

The cast members were really grouchy, and the ones who were in charge of the photo were in snappy, snarly mode. We felt like we were imposing on them. The parade started late for some reason, and we sat freezing in the high wind. After it was all over, I looked at my sister and apologized for dragging her out for a so-so experience.

Based on my one-time experience, I have never recommended spending the money to attend this party. Too bad, because it could have been great.

alaMode
12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
to all 3 of the ticketed parties and we enjoyed them all. We go to these events to have fun, and amazingly enough, we actually do have fun!

P&P party was a fun way to celebrate our son's birthday. I read so many bad reviews here, but it was convenient for our local relatives to buy a party ticket and attend with us. We had a blast! We were sad when it was discontinued because we looked forward to celebrating DS' birthday that way for a few years.

We attended MNSSHP this year on Halloween. The party was sold out in advance, and based on posts I read here on Intercot, I was expecting it to be very crowded. It wasn't crowded at all. Everything was fabulous-the parade, the villains, the fireworks, the trick-or-treating-everything! We had so much fun we'll be celebrating Halloween there next year.

Last year we attended MVMCP and LOVED the parade--especially when Santa pointed right at my son and intoned, "Be a good boy!" The look on my son's face was priceless!

We'll be back at MVMCP on the last night of the party. Can't wait to see if Santa has a special message for DS this year!

goofygirl67
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Well last nights party was FREEZING. I went looking for hot chocolate just to warm my hands.
The outdoor rides were even colder. After riding the TTA where all you could see was my eyes I wasn't going to ride another outdoor ride. The lines were short, space mountain longer but I think people went there to get out of the cold.
I saw the first parade in frontier land and it did not seem very crowded I was able to stand under the tree on main street for the second with no problem.
It was so cold it looked like the 'snow' could have been real.