PDA

View Full Version : Security Guards

Daisy'sMom
11-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Don't know if this is the right place for this.
I recently returned from a week at Disney. While in MK one day, I purchased a Jim Shore Disney piece for a friend that is a HUGE Jim Shore collector. Not thinking about security, we left MK and took the monorail over to Epcot for the remainder of the day. At the entrance, we were going thru the security line and watched the person in front of us that had a small box. The guard tore the box open and looked in. The poor woman was so upset. When it was my turn, I asked the guard to be careful, I showed him the receipt hoping that he would see it was just purchased at MK and told him it was a gift. The box was torn open, it has big tears in it now and when we could not get the tape off the styrofoam, he pushed the box towards me and walked away. He did not check my purse or the others in line.
I went over to Guest Relations and the CM said, what do you want me to do? I was shocked.
I am going to the Jim Shore signing this weekend at Epcot and if I purchase something, I am taking it directly to my car. I am still very upset with Disney for this.:ill:

Buttercup
11-30-2010, 04:12 PM
That's sad. :( I guess they have a job to do, but you would think they could have easily been gentle with the packaging, even if it meant you standing to the side to open it up while they inspected the bags of other people (so the line wasn't held up).
Sorry about that experience. Doesn't sound very magical to me.

disneymom15
11-30-2010, 04:29 PM
That's awful. I would have been upset too.

DizneyRox
11-30-2010, 04:50 PM
As I've said, pay peanuts, hire monkeys...

In my experience lately with security at WDW, they seem to be much like the TSA and let the "power" go to their head.

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
I won't say all of them are bad, but some of them definitely are arrogant, bordering on totally rude.
When we were there 10 days ago there was one female guard from NJ that was very brusque and checked every nook and cranny. She would check one bag while the others were doing 3 or 4.
If they were all that thorough it would be one thing, but if each person uses their own standards it doesn't seem to be very effective IMHO.

Mousemates
11-30-2010, 06:34 PM
So far we've never had a real problem with any of the security folks...no, not all of them are the chummiest folks in the world, but I don't really expect security personnel to be overly jovial.

BellesRose
11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
I've actually had better experiences with Security than the actual CM's. They usually make jokes with me and sometimes they'll call me Princess or tell me to smile. The CM's either yell at me, roll their eyes at me, or ignore me.

I was at Epcot 2 days ago and they just looked through my bag and let me go...they didn't go out of their way to be nice (For the first time) but they certainly weren't rude.

I think that's terrible about what happened to your box and it's horrible how Guest Relations reacted as well.

Gator
11-30-2010, 08:33 PM
I guess that's the downside to living 1 hour away from WDW. For those of us staying, we'd have the box shipped back to our room. Bummer though. I always have good experiences with entrance security.

kakn7294
11-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Sorry for your experience. We've been lucky and mostly have nice security personel checking our bags. Of course, it helps that my bag is so small it actually can fit in my pocket.

#1donaldfan
11-30-2010, 10:37 PM
I can certainly handle a rude, inconsistant security doing their job, enhancing the facade of "security" than trying to handle something horrible entering a park because people are above being checked and may complain !! I'm sorry, but the times we live in.....well, a bit of inconvience greatly outweighs potentially horrible acts .... oh, IMHO !!!

WhereIsTigger?
11-30-2010, 10:41 PM
I still don't see the point of the security checkpoint. If someone were going to bring in something that could be a problem, all that needs to be done is hide it on your body rather than a bag.

kakn7294
12-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I still don't see the point of the security checkpoint. If someone were going to bring in something that could be a problem, all that needs to be done is hide it on your body rather than a bag.I agree but some people aren't that smart...

TheRustyScupper
12-01-2010, 02:36 AM
In my experience lately with security at WDW, they seem to be much like the TSA and let the "power" go to their head.

1) How dare you insult WDW Security by comparing them to TSA?
2) That is worse than calling someone a lawyer! :)

3) As for the box, it is a shame the box was torn.
4) But, the guards are under orders to open boxes.
5) In this case, the OP might have pre-opened the box for the guard.
6) I don't think it was the guard's fault that the box was taped so well.

NOTE: As most readers of the site are aware, I criticize WDW frequently when they are wrong. However, there are times when guests must also take some responsibility.

BrerGnat
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
I still don't see the point of the security checkpoint. If someone were going to bring in something that could be a problem, all that needs to be done is hide it on your body rather than a bag.

It's to slow everyone down, so the REAL security guards (the ones NOT in uniform) can scan the crowd for "suspicious" behavior/individuals.

The bag checks are, mostly, for "show". Mostly, they find glass containers and small knives that are disposed of/confiscated.

If they were truly worried about weapons in the parks, they'd have metal detectors. And, they don't.

disneylovinmom
12-01-2010, 12:25 PM
That stinks that you had that bad experience. I can see the need for security, but they do need to be respectful of the belongings of the guests who spend their hard earned money at the parks as well. I must say, though that I have always been asked politely by security to let them see inside any of my belongings.

12-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Have never seen them "open" boxes (coolers - yes), just look through bags and kind of stir stuff around.

Figment!
12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
I went over to Guest Relations and the CM said, what do you want me to do? I was shocked.

Sorry to hear that Guest Relations did not satisfactorily address your issue.

If you wish, you can contact WDW Guest Communications at one of the following addresses to relay one or both of your poor experiences:

Postal Address:

Walt Disney World
Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista FL 32830-0040

E-mail Address:

[email protected]

For best response include your full name, postal address, phone number, and the best time of day to be called.

2Epcot
12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I've never taken a package through security, but if I do I certainly will have it already opened. Usually I have things opened anyway to make it easier to get through the line.

BiloxiMom
12-02-2010, 02:39 PM
At the risk of being flamed... I've found those security people rude, rude, rude. They serve absolutely NO purpose. I had one go through every bag, the diaper bag, the camera bag, and the back of our double stroller. It was ridiculuos. Really. Stupid. I would have been livid at them ruining my box. The very least the CM could have done was offer to get you another box and have it shipped to you. I have complained to Disney about these people before, and will continue to do so. I am no longer friendly to them. I certainly don't want to be called princess or told to smile by one of them. They are definitely NOT cast members. Ick... This trip, we are not bringing any bags, purses, or strollers. I will gladly stick my tongue at them as I go strolling by! HA!

BraddyB
12-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Seriously why is everyone on the TSA's back? They do their job..you complain If they didn't do their job, you would complain. Like them or not, if they save one life its worth it. Just something to think about.

MKFD43
12-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Serioulsy the bag checks are a joke. They should be called "false sense of Security Guards". What do they expect to find. If someone were carrying a weapon and planned to do evil the wouldnt they just move the item from their bag to their person. Any one with a explosives back ground could make one out of a stoller. I truly dont see a purpose for the bag check. There are a million ways to do bad things. Some guards look at everything some just stir as stated in previous posts. Realists understand the threats and possibilities and can still have a great time.

12-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Serioulsy the bag checks are a joke. They should be called "false sense of Security Guards". What do they expect to find. If someone were carrying a weapon and planned to do evil the wouldnt they just move the item from their bag to their person. Any one with a explosives back ground could make one out of a stoller. I truly dont see a purpose for the bag check. There are a million ways to do bad things. Some guards look at everything some just stir as stated in previous posts. Realists understand the threats and possibilities and can still have a great time.

Problem with your premise is that you have no idea what they are actually have been instructed to look for.

If you would have the opportunity to see what they confiscate in a day, you would be quite surprised.

Victor Kelly
12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Ehhem. I have been through security and the guards I have dealt with have almost always been professional. You have your bad apples. Everyone knows it is a joke including the bad guys.

Here is my experience when entering EPCOT during our honeymoon;

I always carry a knife, always without fail period. In fact I had to cut my way from a vehicle after an accident, so I always carry one. Item two, I have a valid CCW permit for the state of Florida and several other states. Everyday to this one day I always took my knife out of my pocket and leave it in the trunk. On this particular day we were in a hurry and I simply forgot to put it in the trunk.

A very nice security fella asked to see my knife since it was clipped on the inside of my front pocket. I pulled it out and handed it to him. Mind you he could not figure out how to open it because it has been modified to confuse anyone should they happen to gain it during a fight. He asked me to open in and I opened it part way. Not it is only 3 inches long and very very sharp. But I told him that was the really small one that I always carried.

The security guard told me they would like to check it and put it in a secure place for me. I said ok, and was led to a supervisor and to a place where things are stored securely, no I am not telling you where either. They put my name down on a clipboard, what the item was and gave me a receipt for pickup when I left the park. Several hours later we left the park and I picked up my knife with no hassle, and yes I saw the very long list of stuff Disney had checked in. It happens way more than you think, hundreds more each day in fact per park.

Everything was handled efficiently, without a show, and no issues. I have no complaints, hey the first guy was observant. And I have repeatedly stated on these and other boards that I have no need for a weapon inside the parks.

Now, destruction of property is another thing entirely. There is no call to destroy a guests package no matter what what rules may be in place. It is a thing called customer service. Every person that willing accepts that the searches are "for the greater good" is a ditz. Why? Because so many people are ready to give up liberties and freedoms on the off chance that a terrorist might "MIGHT" do something.

Realize this, if an attack is going to happen, it is going to happen. If someone wants a bomb to go off somewhere they will manage to do it. If someone wants to carry weapons inside an amusement park, it can be done and very easily. Like I said earlier it is a show, and we play along. But I do not agree that anyone is subject to destruction of private property "just because".

It is not hard for any guard to say we must open the box, please step over here while we open it. I know because I used to do security work professionally. It is bad business to destroy things that belong to people.

I suppose by some poster's comments that taking a hammer to people's personal items will eventually be ok as long as it gives them a sense of security.

All the security checkpoints are a joke at every park Disney and non-Disney. It is a way to look in your bags to see what you have. It is a hassle beyond words that does not need to exist because it offers no security. The most dangerous and effective weapon is your brain. And once people feel they need to be searched to feel secure, then the bad guys have won, they used their brains and scared us.

As for me, I will play along, knowing the truth. Putter on sheeple.

Feel free to flame me now, I will just read and laugh.

BrerGnat
12-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Again, they don't do this to REALLY look in people's bags. They do it to SLOW DOWN and FUNNEL everyone in the same direction, so the non-uniformed security can OBSERVE the crowd.

I suppose, at times, the Security "Guards" at the bag check stations are instructed to go slowly, so that the "real" security guards can take their time to scan the crowd. When there are no crowds, and people are just trickling in, the bag checks tend to be more cursory. A quick glance and you're off. Just take notice of how, when they are SUPER thorough, there are usually WAY more people around.

Also, if YOU look or act suspicious, you can be sure your bag will be searched high and low. Not because they think they are going to find something, but because it is usually an individual's BEHAVIORS that give away malicious intent.

Honestly, folks, it's a screening procedure. It's not personal...but if your items get damaged, you are certainly within your rights to ask for a resolution.

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Ehhem. I have been through security and the guards I have dealt with have almost always been professional. You have your bad apples. Everyone knows it is a joke including the bad guys.

I always carry a knife, always without fail period. In fact I had to cut my way from a vehicle after an accident, so I always carry one. Item two, I have a valid CCW permit for the state of Florida and several other states. Everyday to this one day I always took my knife out of my pocket and leave it in the trunk. On this particular day we were in a hurry and I simply forgot to put it in the trunk.

A very nice security fella asked to see my knife since it was clipped on the inside of my front pocket. I pulled it out and handed it to him. Mind you he could not figure out how to open it because it has been modified to confuse anyone should they happen to gain it during a fight. He asked me to open in and I opened it part way. Not it is only 3 inches long and very very sharp. But I told him that was the really small one that I always carried.

The security guard told me they would like to check it and put it in a secure place for me. I said ok, and was led to a supervisor and to a place where things are stored securely, no I am not telling you where either. They put my name down on a clipboard, what the item was and gave me a receipt for pickup when I left the park. Several hours later we left the park and I picked up my knife with no hassle, and yes I saw the very long list of stuff Disney had checked in. It happens way more than you think, hundreds more each day in fact per park.

Everything was handled efficiently, without a show, and no issues. I have no complaints, hey the first guy was observant. And I have repeatedly stated on these and other boards that I have no need for a weapon inside the parks.

Now, destruction of property is another thing entirely. There is no call to destroy a guests package no matter what what rules may be in place. It is a thing called customer service. Every person that willing accepts that the searches are "for the greater good" is a ditz. Why? Because so many people are ready to give up liberties and freedoms on the off chance that a terrorist might "MIGHT" do something.

Realize this, if an attack is going to happen, it is going to happen. If someone wants a bomb to go off somewhere they will manage to do it. If someone wants to carry weapons inside an amusement park, it can be done and very easily. Like I said earlier it is a show, and we play along. But I do not agree that anyone is subject to destruction of private property "just because".

It is not hard for any guard to say we must open the box, please step over here while we open it. I know because I used to do security work professionally. It is bad business to destroy things that belong to people.

I suppose by some poster's comments that taking a hammer to people's personal items will eventually be ok as long as it gives them a sense of security.

All the security checkpoints are a joke at every park Disney and non-Disney. It is a way to look in your bags to see what you have. It is a hassle beyond words that does not need to exist because it offers no security. The most dangerous and effective weapon is your brain. And once people feel they need to be searched to feel secure, then the bad guys have won, they used their brains and scared us.

You'll get no flaming from me. The bagcheck process is worse than a joke. The idea that the intent is to slow everyone down to give the "real" security their chance to observe makes sense to a point but doesn't explain why at the same time one person is barely looking at the bags while the next guard is spending two minutes on one person.
It is just another show to make people feel better. Anyone that really thinks it makes us safer is just choosing not to look at things clearly.

Silver_Surfer
12-03-2010, 12:46 PM

We almost think alike. I always carry a knife! Beside that a tac light if I know I am going to be out late. Do you think the TSA guards will hassle me because of the light? It does have the end cap(You know what I mean).

Thanks!

BraddyB
12-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Every person that willing accepts that the searches are "for the greater good" is a ditz. Why? Because so many people are ready to give up liberties and freedoms on the off chance that a terrorist might "MIGHT" do something.

No flaming, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If a quick search is going to reduce a chance of something happening I am fine with it.

I also think your reactions to situation can dictate what happens to you.

If I saw someone's package being torn up and I had one, you can guarantee that I would have stepped out of line,opened it myself, and then stepped back in line.

Dznygrl79
12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
The bag checks are annoying but during my 2005 or 2006 trip I wanna say 2005, they found a woman trying to smuggle in a handgun, she did not have a permit for the weapon and put up an awful fight. Now I will say it would be better if there was more consistancy among the guards but I would rather have someone detered because there is a chance they could be caught.

BiloxiMom
12-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I could almost stomach them if the security guards were at least polite, and I don't mean stupid things like "Smile princess." Once again, they have let their pretend power go to their tiny brains. I thought they were employeed by Disney? Shouldn't they be held to the same "I'm earning my ears" standards as the other CMs? Just sayin'..........

DizneyRox
12-04-2010, 09:11 AM
I could almost stomach them if the security guards were at least polite, and I don't mean stupid things like "Smile princess." Once again, they have let their pretend power go to their tiny brains. I thought they were employeed by Disney? Shouldn't they be held to the same "I'm earning my ears" standards as the other CMs? Just sayin'..........
Actually, if they had an "Earning my Ears" pin, I'd cut them some slack, they are new (in training). Otherwise, they should have earned their ears and should be abiding by Disney Standards without much thought.

BiloxiMom
12-04-2010, 09:37 AM
True. They just aren't up to "Disney standards" in my opinion. They need to realize that I have spent lots of $$$ on a vacation, and I don't need their attitudes. I can have attitudes, for free, right at home. Is there anyone we can email about this problem?

Mendelson
12-04-2010, 02:13 PM
I always carry a knife, always without fail period....it has been modified to confuse anyone should they happen to gain it during a fight.

Dude, I see you're from Baltimore, but what kind of interactions do you have during a typical day???

DisneyFr33k
12-04-2010, 02:24 PM

Amen, brther! I feel the exact same way!

SteveL
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
I tend to cut them a break as it isn't a job I would ever want. The day has to crawl by.
When asked in grade school what everyone wanted to be, nobody ever shot their hand up and shouted out, "Sister, I want to rummage through bags all day while standing on my feet."

lovinmesomedisney
12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
If you don't want them to root through your bags, pack a couple sanitary napkins in there and go to a male security guard. They will shoo you through real quick!!! :mickey:

Mendelson
12-07-2010, 08:36 AM
A bit off topic, but I think it's a funny story and I'll try to keep it short.

I bought a small pocket knife for my dad for Christmas once and had it delivered to my office. I put it in my bag to take home, but forgot about it for a few days. At the same time I was reading a book on Adolf Hitler (the definitive bio, not a pro-Hitler book by any stretch, just to clarify), which also was usually in my bag. I also at the time had my head shaved.

One day I had to leave my office to walk over to Capitol Hill for a meeting, in the Senate office building. Just before I left my office I reached into my bag for something or other and fortunately stumbled upon the knife, (which I then put in my desk).

I can only imagine what would have happened had the metal detector on the Hill picked up the knife...and then the guard had found it and the book, and then looked at me with my shaved head.... lucky break! I'd probably be relaxing in Gitmo right now.....

Victor Kelly
12-10-2010, 12:18 PM
In response to several questions.

Yes, the TSA will confiscate the flashlight, put it in checked baggage..

I used to do security and bodyguard work for 10 years, old habits die hard once you are in this field of work. Hence I am always armed, even though I cannot and do not carry a firearm as I do not have an active Md CCW permit.

As I have said, I am a huge believer in Karma. What you do to others comes back at you eventually. A lot of people would be suprised that when you are nice instead of being rude or yelling, others are more apt to help you or go the extra distance for you.

I have interacted with many security staff at Disney, and many I will commend on their customer service skills. I have even interacted with OCSD as well, and their behavior is commendable as well. In fact, they will climb the walls to help you out.

I have also stated this many times before. I do not deem there to be a need to carry any weapon into a Disney theme park or any other Orlando park. If I felt I needed to, I would not be going. Leave whatever you have in the car. The list I saw did include firearms that were checked in as well. So, Disney will do this for you. Act like an adult with common sense and you will not have problems with either security or police.

Yeah there are people checking the crowd out when you enter, even before the checkpoints and even after. I do not buy that the security points are to allow them to do this. 9/11 gave them a reason to search bags, and everyplace on the planet took the opportunity to do so. It is a make believe feel good measure and that is it at best. AND it will do nothing to someone that can conceal stuff on their person.

You would not believe what I can conceal under a baggy t-shirt, or in my pants (don't let the dirty minds start y'all, it is a kid friendly site afterall). But it can be done. I have a false lining in one of my bags that always went through security at Disney with no detection of its existance. I am never truely unarmed anymore, I have my brain, and some ingenious self defense tools always on me.

Remember, when you give up too many rights, and you will not have any rights at all.