PDA

View Full Version : Kindle vs Sony EReader

Magic Smiles
11-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Which would you recommend and why? Looking for one for DH.

medic9016
11-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Sony E-reader. DD has one and loves it. You are not bound by amazon or Barnes and nobles for your books.

Dulcee
11-30-2010, 08:40 AM
I have an E Reader, got a little over a year ago and I love it. I agree with the above poster that you aren't bound to "kindle" books and the Sony book stores offers tons of free books that I pretty much survive on!

mdhiggin
11-30-2010, 12:52 PM
DH got me an IPad for my birthday this year. I had been looking at a Kindle, but this thing does so much more. You can put free apps on it for any books, Kindle, Nook, ibooks, whatever. It plays games, connects to the internet, keeps my grocery lists, pictures, music, calendar, you name it. I love it! My kids do too. Sometimes it disappears from it's post, and I can usually find it in my 6 year old's hands. She operates it like a pro.

Magic Smiles
11-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I actually purchased the SONY EReader yesterday. IMHO it looks better quality than the Kindle even though a co-worker just bought a Kindle and loves it. Just a little info, :secret: you are not "bound" by "kindle" books :secret: The edition of EReader that I really wanted is only available in the States so I had to settle on Canada's best :( Thought of buying it in the States, but was informed that the warranty wouldn't be good in Canada if I did that. :mad:

DS has an ipad and loves it, but that is not what my DH was looking for. He just wants it to read with while traveling on the bus back and forth to work.

BriarRose0708
12-08-2010, 12:39 PM
You can actually get access to libraries of free out-of-print books that pre-date 1925, so basically all those great classics that everyone adds zombies and vampires to nowadays (SBETigg, loved yours though!), either from Kindle or other internet databases like archive.org and The Gutenberg Project. Plus, I don't see how Kindle limits you since Amazon has pretty much everything anyway. The only major difference that would sway me away from the Kindle is the fact it's not in color, and therefore another e-reader or the Nook Color from Barnes and Noble would suit someone who prefers reading magazines or other periodicals.

MNNHFLTX
12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Plus, I don't see how Kindle limits you since Amazon has pretty much everything anyway. The only major difference that would sway me away from the Kindle is the fact it's not in color, and therefore another e-reader or the Nook Color from Barnes and Noble would suit someone who prefers reading magazines or other periodicals.I'm still in the research phase of finding an e-reader for my husband for Christmas, but I know that with the Kindle you can't access and download books from our library system's database (something you can do with almost every other e-reader, including Nook and the Sony ereader). That's a big drawback for me. Free (and more current) books are a good thing.

PeachyGal
12-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I had an EReader. While it was good, I did not like not having wifi capabilities. I have just recently purchased the color Nook and I love it.

Magic Smiles
12-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I had an EReader. While it was good, I did not like not having wifi capabilities. I have just recently purchased the color Nook and I love it.
SONY has an Ereader with wifi and free internet available in the States. Had it been available in Canada that would have been the one I purchased, but it isn't.

Genie1953
12-14-2010, 12:16 AM
I just got a Kindle and love it!

magicofdisney
12-17-2010, 06:14 PM
I have an iPad, my husband has a Kindle. He doesn't ask to use my iPad and I don't ask to use his Kindle. Each has its advantages. His Kindle has the advantage in high light areas, I have the advantage at night (among a multitude of other advantages for either unit).

I see no disadvantage to either's book resource limitation. Regardless of which library I choose from, I'll never have enough time in the world to read all titles available.