PDA

View Full Version : How far do you go with decorating outside for Xmas?

caryrae
11-25-2010, 10:06 AM
We have been helping my FIL decorate his house the past 5 or 6 weekends. He has been doing this as long as I have been in the family (15 years).

Here are some pics, night shots are from last year and day shots are from this year getting set up. All the trees along the house are artificial tress plus more in the garage that we have to put together every year:ack:.

http://community.webshots.com/album/579096438eRcIWb?start=0

He won a lighting contest last year and got his December utility bill paid for.

DizneyRox
11-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Not that crazy, but I'm working on it. I add a new element each year and I try to make my own (I don't care for the quality of the consumer stuff). I overbuild like you wouldnt believe! For my garland over the front door, I used over 15 of the garlands from the craft shop and about 50 or so ornaments, pine cones, etc for decoration. Takes a while to make, but the result is fantastic!

I think I'm going to finish off the rest of the porch this year (need about 40 feet or so more) and then maybe a couple of trees to flank the door. Then call it a day till next year. After that, I'll see about setting it all to music (Disney Music of course)!

Ian
11-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Not as far (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HlpFlqvd8I) as some people I know! :santa:

I do decorate, though. Lights on the house, trees, etc. plus some animations, wreaths, spotlights and stuff like that.

We're by far the most decorated house in our neighborhood every years. Then again, I'd guess about 80% of the people in my neighborhood don't celebrate Christmas. We're very multi-cultural here. ;)

faline
11-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Not as far (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HlpFlqvd8I) as some people I know! :santa:

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic!

We put lights up outside but nothing elaborate. We do more of our decorating inside. It will take us all weekend to put up the trees and other decorations!

Tink1
11-25-2010, 01:45 PM
This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic!

Me too! I love to see what John does with his house. Woudl actually like to see HOW he does it.

We gave up on decorating outside. The wind here on the mountain undoes it all, no matter how we secure it. I have gone to lighted wreaths inside the windows.

Nanc

plutosnana
11-26-2010, 01:44 PM
I did, wait for it, wait for it,
Nothing. Just a plain old house will do for Christmas. As long as it's got a family, it's all Christmas themed to me!

:goofy:

PlutoToo
11-26-2010, 03:49 PM
I decorate inside. Where we live there's no one outside to see the decorations.

princessgirls
12-01-2010, 11:05 AM
We decorate, lights and some other stuff. Fred (my DH) HATES doing the lights, but gets out there and does it. Our neighborhood is not too culturally diverse and from what I've seen in the three years we have lived here, kind of competitive with the lights.

There was a "professional" lighting company putting on lights on the house across the street. I can't compete with that...:confused:
So basically, I'm in a neighborhood with a bunch of Clark Griswald's lighting up the night, and I'm lucky that my husband goes out for 2 hours and puts a few lights and decorations out and it is what it is...:mickey:

I decorate a good amount in our home, dishes and all are changed over for the holidays.
Julie:mickey:

Renfairwedding
12-02-2010, 11:11 AM
my goal is the Osborn lights. I have collected many "Homeless" plastic light up figures and decide a theme using different ones each year.

This year I mixed Halloween and Christmas . I have my snow men huddled around my chimnia with a fire look cauldron inside... Nothing like snowmen roasting marshmallows over an open fire. :snowman:

I hang and place lots of lights from a projected snow storm on the house to a Osborn like chasing Christmas tree. :deer:

I have converted to lower energy cost LED lights and all my figures have compact fluorescent bulbs.

:santa3: :elf: :tree:

buzznwoodysmom
12-02-2010, 09:56 PM
This is our third Christmas in our current home and the first year we decorate outside. I did it all myself (DH is in Iraq). He'll be home just before Christmas and boy is he going to be surprised. My boys helped me a bit. We have lights in the trees, a light up snowman, light up presents, and a light up reindeer and sleigh. I have some twinkle lights around some garland around our front door, wreaths on the doors, and light up trees and lanterns at our entrance. I also have lots of poinsettias at our entrance and in our flower bed. I have two light up wreaths, a huge one on a window and a small Mickey shaped head (I made it myself with one large wreath and two smaller wreaths) on our garage window. I think its looks very nice. Our neighborhood goes over the top, almost every house has something, so it was time for us to step it up a bit. The only thing I'm concerned with is DH telling me that since I did such a good job this year I can do it all again next year! LOL.