PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party...worth it?

lawgirl
11-23-2010, 06:25 PM
So I've never been to the party, never talked to anyone that has gone. Is it really worth $50 extra?? I'm considering doing it, and would love to hear feedback.

Does the crowd really thin down at MK during the party?

faline
11-23-2010, 06:35 PM
We've gone and greatly enjoyed it. We have gone for the party activities and not really for time on the rides. If you have a large family, it could be expensive. Depending on when you go, it could be more or less crowded than during regular park hours. Some party nights are pretty crowded until after the fireworks and then it thins out quite a lot.

rjmdds
11-23-2010, 07:07 PM
We did it last year for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. We took advantage of the "special" things involved in the party and not as much the rides. We did do some rides but we tried to enjoy the unique festivities of the party. My kids had a blast. I would do it again. In fact, we will on our next trip next year!

Scar
11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
I've done it once and am glad I did. I don't think I'll do it again.

Does the crowd really thin down at MK during the party?

My experience was that it was very crowded, but the lines for rides are short during the parade.

Ian
11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
We've done it a bunch of times over the years, but we're not doing it this December trip.

Honestly, they just cut and cut and cut and cut and kept raising the prices to the point where it just wasn't worth it to us anymore.

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-23-2010, 08:58 PM
We've done it a bunch of times over the years, but we're not doing it this December trip.

Honestly, they just cut and cut and cut and cut and kept raising the prices to the point where it just wasn't worth it to us anymore.

We went last Friday for the first time in a number of years and noticed exactly that.
They eliminated the family picture, got rid of the special button and watered down the hot chocolate.
But they sure did increase the price and the number of tickets sold. I'm glad we did it because this was a special trip for my daughter's 21st birthday and it brought back memories of when she was little.

Not sure if we will be doing it again anytime soon, though...

Disney Hungarian
11-23-2010, 09:12 PM
I went to the MVMCP in '05 and actually asked myself; What did I pay for? I'm glad I did it once. But, until things change, I will not be doing it this year. I can not see the value for the money. I must say that when me and my now ex-wife stayed till security told us to leave and we were the only ones on Main Street with all the lights, that is a good memory. But, that is the only good memory I have of that night.

LandFan
11-23-2010, 09:30 PM
We like it a lot. This will be our third time in the last 4 years... We love the parade on Main St (with the snow falling) most of all as well as the awesome decorations, the fireworks and the lights on the castle! The cookies & hot chocolate are a nice touch but we usually skip them. I will miss the show at the Galaxy Palace THeatre though. We also love the short ride lines! We usually go on a weeknight (usually a Tuesday) and it is pretty light.

Katzateer
11-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Yes it is worth it!!

We have gone 10 times and are going next week.

It is a lot of fun and the lines are usually not bad except in Fantasyland after 8pm

Get to the MK by 6:30 and get in line. Go to Fantasyland first and then do whatever else. The last parade is not as crowded.

Have fun if you decide to go!:mickey:

retiredfigment
11-24-2010, 08:04 AM
You didn't mention who was going. Kids would probably have a good time. My adult DD and I went last year and I am glad that we experienced it once for the parade and fireworks. I wouldn't do it again. Too pricey when you don't do the dance parties, watch the entertainment, drink the hot chocolate or eat the cookies. We had already gone on the attractions earlier in the week.

Kaps
11-24-2010, 08:19 AM
I think it depends on your groups ages. My boys would not sit throught the regular main st eletrical parades. I felt if they wanted to go on rides instead of watch the parade then the price of admission for the party would not be worth it for us. We went to Hollywood studios for the Osbourne lights and, that I feel was more than enough except no Hot chocolate and cookies. It snows there too. (My boys went on rides while we went for this too)

Thumper03
11-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Definately worth it to us. We enjoyed the extra shows, thinner lines, character meet and greets in holiday costumes, snow on Main St, just all the warm and fuzzies...:blush:

Remember if you go...
Rest up during the day. Maximizing your time at the party (7-12) really makes it pay off. :santa:

Gator
11-24-2010, 11:36 AM
As long as you don't have young children that can't keep up with late hours, I'd do it at least once. Also, you can guarantee that you won't be getting up early the next morning to hit the parks - it really wipes you out.

Honestly, it's a lot like EMH, but with extra fireworks, parade, and "free" refreshments. The lines to the rides are about like they are on EMH nights. But if you're doing the party for the rides, it's a waste. It's all the extra shows and parades that make it worth it.

disneymom2000
11-24-2010, 09:57 PM
You should do it at least once to see what the hype is about. Then you don't have to wonder when you get home if you missed something that would have made your visit better. And - you will know the next time if it is worth it to you. I have done it once and am only doing it again because I am taking someone who has never gone and is really into Christmas.

TheRustyScupper
11-25-2010, 07:42 PM
1) We did it once, and thought it was fun.
2) But, not worth a second visit.
3) MrsRustyScupper works most of the parties, and still agrees.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-27-2010, 08:53 PM
I've done most of the parties and have had a blast. But it's more about the special party events rather than the rides; things that are party specific.

Ian
11-28-2010, 11:44 AM
But they sure did increase the price and the number of tickets sold.Yeah, that's the biggest turn off for me. They must have doubled the number of tickets they sell, because it used to be a great time to ride rides with almost no lines. But now, the last few parties I've gone to, the lines have been significantly longer during MVMCP than they were during normal times on the same trip.

The last party I did, the wait for Small World was like 45 minutes and there were even lines for the TTA and CoP! :eek:

brivers222
11-30-2010, 12:25 PM
If its anything like the MNSSHP it will be well worth it. I love MK at night and being able to stay until midnight a few nights of the week we are they is perfect. We went to 3 of the 4 MNSSHP's during our oct trip and are planning to go to 4 of the 5 MVMCPs while we are there next dec.

Loved the atmosphere

Mousemates
11-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Is it worth it...not to us. (We have pretty much settled on Night of Joy as being the only hard ticket we will do again). But it might be worth it to you and the only way to find out is to give it a try.

CleveSJM
11-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Get to the MK by 6:30 and get in line. Go to Fantasyland first and then do whatever else. The last parade is not as crowded.

I've been to P&P parties and MNSSHP before and have been let in around 4-5pm. Have they changed that? Is there a line now?

Goes4FastPass
12-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I've been to P&P parties and MNSSHP before and have been let in around 4-5pm. Have they changed that? Is there a line now?

Beginning at 4pm there are designated gates where guests with tickets to MVMCP can enter - there are "regular" entrance gates also where guests using other admissin media can enter up to close to park closing time (7pm).