PDA

View Full Version : Do you shop on Black Friday?

caryrae
11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
I never have but may be interesting to experience once. If you do, do you get to the stores that open really early when or before they open? Some of the videos I remember seeing for some stores look dangerous.

cer
11-23-2010, 12:59 PM
No. That is really not my scene. If I have to it is unintentional, and I would never stake out a store to get there early. I like to stay away from the madness. :thumbsup:

But for all the masses that do, please be safe!

alphamommy
11-23-2010, 01:18 PM
My mom and I used to go, but since she passed away, I just don't have the heart to.

Ms. Mode
11-23-2010, 01:22 PM
No, I have never shopped "Black Friday"...but I'm going to work it this year at the Disney Store just for fun! :thumbsup:

kakn7294
11-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I do and I love it - mostly for the entertainment value more than the shopping deals. If I can get deals on stuff that's great but if not, I just enjoy going out and watching everyone else make fools of themselves over those so-called bargains. Last year I dragged my hubby along and he loved it too. We're making plans for this year's event!

MNNHFLTX
11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Yes--I'm developing my game plan, even as I speak. :)

However, I do not go to Walmart (those crowds scare me) or Best Buy (whose queues have gotten out of control). And I probably won't go to Kohl's this year either, as I think a 3 a.m. opening time is insane. :shake:

NewDVCowner
11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
I've only gone one time because there was something I saw in their ad that I really wanted to pick up. By chance I arrived about ten minutes before the store opened (it didn't take as long to get there as I thought) and the lines were already really long. In fact, I saw something on Yahoo today saying that there was someone already in line for Black Friday now!

I got what I was there for but it was the ONLY one they had in the store, so if you see something advertised that you really want then yes, you do need to get there early because they carry a limited number of them and basically are advertising them to get people into the store.

diz_girl
11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Nope. I'm not going to the stores to save $10 on something that I don't need anyway. I'd rather sleep.

cajunprincess
11-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Yes and we LOVE it! We usually stake out where we are going to go on Thanksgiving night. Me and my sisters in law usually are at walmart for around 3. When we get home we drop off those goods, pick up my mother in law and hit New Orleans! We have the BEST time!!!

Disney4us2
11-23-2010, 03:43 PM
I really don't like to shop with those crowds. Did it for Toys R Us last year when the store opened at midnight. DD wanted a ZhuZhu pet.

This year I am almost done with my shopping... :thumbsup: Just a few things to pick up. I plan on sleeping in.

Kenny1113
11-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Nope not worth it for me. I'd rather spend the extra $50 (if it's even that much discount) than deal with that craziness.

Magic Smiles
11-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Yes and we LOVE it! We usually stake out where we are going to go on Thanksgiving night. Me and my sisters in law usually are at walmart for around 3. When we get home we drop off those goods, pick up my mother in law and hit New Orleans! We have the BEST time!!!
Not to offend anyone, but what could WalMart possibly have worth going out at 3:00 am for?

I feel bad for the employees that have to be working at the wee hours of the morning.
I do shop Black Friday and drive down to Watertown from Canada, but we get there when we get there. Believe me it is not early in the morning. I love the selection of stuff not available in Canada.

caryrae
11-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Not to offend anyone, but what could WalMart possibly have worth going out at 3:00 am for?

I remember reading that Walmart will start having certain items on sale for Black Friday starting at midnight. Not to big a deal for them since most if not all are open 24 hours.

RedSoxFan
11-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I've gone the past couple of years to the mall. It was fun. DD14 wants to go this year --- we'll see. I won't go just to go.

dnickels
11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Nope. I'm not going to the stores to save $10 on something that I don't need anyway.

Ditto, most of the 'stuff' bought on black Friday falls into the want category rather than the need category. There was just a story out in the last few weeks that over 13 million Americans are still paying off their holiday gifts from last year. You have to wonder how many of those 13 million will be in line Friday morning.

Hull-onian
11-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't shop at all. Everyone gets the same gift, money.....:mickey:

Dznygrl79
11-26-2010, 06:54 PM
I have worked so many Black Fridays that I will not shop them, for 4 Christmas after high school I worked at Toys R Us. I watched fist fights for toys, theifs, and been yelled at far to many times to enjoy the spirit of sales. Now I shop online only. Hope anyone who went out had a safe and good time.

LandFan
11-27-2010, 08:39 AM
We went for the first time this year. We went to Wal-mart to get one of the $198 TV's. We went to a brand new Wal-mart that is a bit outside of the city. Wal-mart was actually REALLY great! They were open 24 hours which helped a LOT. It was rainy and drizzly and cold and we got to wait in a queue inside. We got there at 4:30 and were #159 in line for that particular TV and they had a whopping 250 in stock! They started distributing promptly at 5am and we were out of there and loading the car at 5:30am. Totally efficient!!

Overall, our first experience was rockin! We then went to a diner and opened that at 6am for breakfast and then sleep:cloud9:

White Rose
11-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I LOVE shopping on Black Friday. I'm a total masochist, though. And I never go with the intention of actually buying something specific/large, like a TV or a Wii or something. I go just to enjoy the crowds and as a sort of entertainment. :blush:

I generally hit Target first and poke through their DVDs. Since most people get there for big ticket items, I generally have no problems getting DVDs. I picked up a couple $8 BluRays for my parents for Christmas. I also found a few Glee CDs on sale. Target was very efficient, even though I waited in a long line for check out, it was really only 10 minutes and well done. I then head over to our local mall and hit the department stores, like JCPenney and Macy's to get some stuff for my parents. Mom is getting a few sweaters for work and my lil sis helped me pick them out. I also bought a few pairs of silver jewelry for myself on sale for 60% off...:D

I then came home and popped on Amazon (I LOVE Amazon. LOVE IT) and ordered my dad a BluRay player for his cave, a copy of "The Pacific" on BluRay and a Kindle for my mom. They are both DONE, thank goodness.

Shopping on Black Friday gets me in the mood for the holidays and I go with the intention of hoping to alleviate a sales associate's mood. They generally look very surprised and a bit more cheerful after I greet them with a Merry Christmas and engage them in conversation for a few moments as they ring up my purchases. :)

BellesRose
11-28-2010, 09:32 PM
If I go, I go in the afternoon. Everything I want is still available, and most of the crazies have gone home to bed by then.

My friend went to Wal-Mart and said there was a woman screaming and threatening to kill someone over $4 pajamas. They normally cost $5. There was also a fight over $2 towels that normally cost $2.50.
Really?

Disneymom4ever
11-29-2010, 08:42 AM
We actually hit a lot of the major stores, but I have to say Wal Mart was actually our best experience! We got there around 1:30 am, and sat in line inside (first bonus). They had it really organized and spread out as far as what line to be in for what item. As we sat, every so often they would come by with complimentary donuts, snacks, drinks, etc. I think that was the best experience I've had shopping! :mickey: