PDA

View Full Version : Renting Points

dixiepixie
11-23-2010, 11:11 AM
I have rented points from DVC members for the last 6 years, but just had a thought. Is it possible to rent points for Sunday through Thursday nights, but use the cash option on Fridays and Saturdays? It seems like it would be cheaper to do that way, but I didn't know how it would work. Anyone know?

DizneyRox
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
It's an option for members, however when I checked, it was actually "cheaper" to use my points. That's if you're comparing the same types of rooms. If you decided to more to a value or something, then you would probably see a savings...

DVC rooms aren't that cheap. The cash rooms don't come out of the DVC allotment, they are out of a different set of rooms I believe. Probably the same room pool used for the general public.

FiggyFan
11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
You could rent points for those days, then make a separate cash reservation for the weekend. DVC did shuffle the point allocations recently to make weeknights more expensive and weekends cheaper, so this strategy is less effective than it used to be.

By contract, DVC has the right to shuffle point allocations around as long as the total point value of a room for the entire year does not change. The purpose of this is to permit DVC to modify point costs to balance demand without devaluing the points members have already paid for.

I think enough people were trying to maximize their use of points by only taking weekdays that the system started to get out of balance.