PDA

View Full Version : Miyuki

doombuggygal
11-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Just returned from WDW. While there both of my girls were lucky enough to be chosen by Miyuki to have an animal of their choosing created. At the end of her show they were told they could not take their candies with them. I thought I had remembered in the past if you get chosen to pick an animal you could have the candy at the end of the show. Does anyone know when or why this changed?

Catwillow
11-22-2010, 12:47 AM
per Wikipedia....
"Guests were presented with the candy sculpture as an edible souvenir until early 2010, when this was stopped because of health regulations"

That's unfortunate. You would think then that she would just make the animals of her choice OR inform the audience at the beginning that she can't give them the candy.

KylesMom
11-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Two years ago, Miyuki made DS a cobra - it is among his favorite memories of that trip. I remember reading in the Trip Report forum earlier this year that she was no longer giving guests her creations at the end of the show, but I hadn't heard the reason for it. What a shame!

Gator
11-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Leave it to the government to take away yet another freedom - the freedom of eating whatever candy I want.

Altair
11-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Leave it to the government to take away yet another freedom - the freedom of eating whatever candy I want.

Maybe Disney just figured out they could sell these for $20, so why give them away.:mickey:

crltkcagle
11-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Gasp! I think of myself as a Disney expert and I have no idea what you guys are talking about!:confused::jaw:

Altair
11-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Gasp! I think of myself as a Disney expert and I have no idea what you guys are talking about!:confused::jaw:

She makes candy sculptures over at Japan. Someone is chosen and gets to name a creature for her to make. Until recently, the guest got to keep the sculpture made for them.:mickey:

crltkcagle
11-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the info!

TheRustyScupper
11-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know when or why this changed?

1) Ended in 2009.
2) Per health codes, she is not in a food-prep environment.

disneymom2000
11-24-2010, 10:18 PM
How hard would it be to get the proper environment and paperwork done so this could occur again. It was always so crowded when we would stop by so after a while I just skipped it because it wasn't worth trying to fight over everyones head to try and see what she was making.

bjs6
11-25-2010, 12:36 PM
We visited WDW this past June. My daughters got to pick an animal. They were told at that time that her candy creations are donated to a local children's hospital.

TheRustyScupper
11-25-2010, 07:40 PM
How hard would it be to get the proper environment and paperwork done so this could occur again.

Per a meeting we had once,
1) Actually, quite hard.
2) She is handling raw material, so it has to be kept at temp.
3) Then, cleanliness is an issue with people hanging onto the cart. *
4) Lastly, the wrapping is not sufficient for long-term storage.
5) To correct all the problems, would destroy the exhibit.

* You can't overhang a food-prep area. EXAMPLES: The ice cream carts do not prepare, so the food can't be messed with by guests. The popcorn carts are shielded from guest hanfling contamination.

EeyoresBestFriend
11-28-2010, 03:13 PM
I've seen her and these beautiful pieces of art.

It's beyond me why anyone would want to eat them anyway ~ they are far too pretty. :mickey:

TheRustyScupper
11-28-2010, 03:29 PM
I've seen her and these beautiful pieces of art. It's beyond me why anyone would want to eat them anyway ~ they are far too pretty.

1) They are not preserved.
2) They fall apart, melt or disintegrate.

doombuggygal
11-29-2010, 11:46 PM
We visited WDW this past June. My daughters got to pick an animal. They were told at that time that her candy creations are donated to a local children's hospital.

That's what mine were told too and if I may be blunt, is a terrible lie.