PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur at AK

Disney4us2
11-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Please tell me all about this attraction. I have never been on it. Is it a roller coaster? Does it have any drops like Splash Mountain?
TIA

Disney Hungarian
11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
No, not a roller coaster. the ride vehicle actually rides on flat ground like the Pooh ride. It is a very intense ride. Riders are jostled around quite a bit and it is a dark ride. It can be painful to people with back or other problems.

lynnek
11-19-2010, 09:26 PM
It has a very realistic feel to it. You feel very small, animatronics very large and intense, with startling movements towards you. My kids always looked at the pictures taken while on the ride to see if Mom's eyes were closed--yes, on this one, while screaming.

SBETigg
11-19-2010, 10:13 PM
It's a ride vehicle that has motion, like Star Tours pods maybe, as it goes through a landscape of Dinosaurs. So it's a moving vehicle with programmed-in motions to simulate going up, down, around curves sharper, when you're not really doing that as much (though you are in a ride vehicle progressing through an animatronic-laden landscape).

It's fast (probably not technically that fast, slower than Test Track), bumpy, no drops- and some dinos pop at you unexpectedly and to tremendously scary effect (even once you know the ride well). Some people might find it tamer and even a little cheesy, I don't know. I still get scared, in the fun and very best way, by the ride. Definitely no drops, not that kind of ride.

DisneyNut6777
11-20-2010, 01:01 AM
DW and I rode this for the first time last month. She talked me into it. Very DARK, and tossed around a good bit, I didn't see many dinos due to the fact that my eyes were closed when the vehicle would pitch up and down, and side ways. I fussed at her the whole ride..:blush::D No foul language of course! I am 43 yrs old and what is so crazy is that 15 - 20 yrs ago rides like that I could take:confused: Well I can atleast say I did it. And the picture my eyes were closed and my mouth open wide (screaming in terror):D

Hazmat
11-20-2010, 01:22 AM
It's dark and quite loud, still good fun and has one fairly large descent towards the middle of the ride. But the car goes down it that slowly whilst throwing you about its hardly worthy of the "drop" title :p

Disney4us2
11-20-2010, 02:20 AM
As long as there are no drops, I am fine. DD and I are used to that kind of jostling with the Indiana Jones Adventure ride at Disneyland. That one really tosses you all over the place.

paragon
11-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Its VERY LOUD.

DizneyRox
11-20-2010, 07:08 AM
As long as there are no drops, I am fine. DD and I are used to that kind of jostling with the Indiana Jones Adventure ride at Disneyland. That one really tosses you all over the place.
They are sister attractions actually, in fact I think the ride layout is almost exactly the same. Different theme and story, different movements... Or so I'm told...

It's an old Hollywood trick known as ... Saving Money!

Joannelet
11-20-2010, 07:37 AM

Yes you are right it's the same exact thing.
I remember riding Indiana Jones for the first time and thinking this is just like Dinosaur in AK! :)

Gator
11-20-2010, 01:54 PM
No real drops. Just a very realistic adventure into a land of Dinosaurs. I ride this everytime, and everytime I am scared to death. For some reason, some primal fear takes over and says, "This is real - RUN!" But I guess I like that feeling, because I keep going back.:D

magicofdisney
11-20-2010, 05:36 PM

I saw a documentary on TV and it is the same ride vehicle used in Disneyland for Indiana Jones Adventure.

DisneyFr33k
11-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Also, be sure to secure your belongings in the pouch in front of you. The car really shakes your around. My DH lost his cell phone out of his pocket (he had cargo shorts on with snap pockets on the sides). When we were waiting for the cast members to check the car, another family was waiting for their phone too!

Insanity Clause
11-22-2010, 12:34 AM
This was one of the few rides that actually scared me. It is dark abd quite bumpy but fun too if you like thrills.

A Foolish Mortal
11-22-2010, 04:03 PM
One of the best rides at WDW. Don't miss it!

minnesotafreeze
11-23-2010, 09:04 PM
It is one of my favorite rides. The only negative thing I can say about it is the sound is much to loud. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I had forgotten how this ride jostled you and how loud it was and so it was the very first ride of our trip that I took my nephew on when he was round 7. He hasn't let me forget it ever since then! And he hasn't gone back on it. It's a lot like Star Tours except bumpier and dark with dinos popping out at you, and it's LOUD.

brivers222
11-29-2010, 11:51 AM
its pretty "shakey" my favorite ride at AK

Stu29573
11-29-2010, 12:25 PM
I rode it this past week for the first time in a long time and it was a blast! It was actually hard to keep my eyes open, but I did it! As far as the route goes, it is exactly the same as the Indy ride at DLR, but unless you knew that ahead of time, I'm guessing you would never realize it on your own.

finaldynasty
01-10-2011, 10:26 PM
My kids and I loved it, but it scared them. If you like thrill rides this is a good one. Enjoy!:mickey:

TinkerbellsMom
01-11-2011, 06:10 AM
It's one of families favorite rides. I agree with everyone above, it is a very intense ride as it shakes you around a lot, is very dark, and VERY LOUD. The overall experience for us is thrilling and really makes us feel like we're in the dinosaur finding / meteor avoiding adventure. Just love it!

I caution that this ride can be very scary for younger children and recommend that parents do a solo test ride before bringing on their kids.

finaldynasty
01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
It's one of families favorite rides. I agree with everyone above, it is a very intense ride as it shakes you around a lot, is very dark, and VERY LOUD. The overall experience for us is thrilling and really makes us feel like we're in the dinosaur finding / meteor avoiding adventure. Just love it!

I caution that this ride can be very scary for younger children and recommend that parents do a solo test ride before bringing on their kids.

Great advice! I wish someone had told me this before I had taken my kids on this ride. I would have prepped them or at least not taken my DD 6.

JabberJaws
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm sure you've heard all about it by now, so I will spare you the details. I will however say that it is one of my favorite rides in all of WDW, but IMO is also one of the scarier, more intense (loud, dark, turbulent) rides in all of WDW. That being said, it is a BLAST and the ride photos are not-to-be-missed.

mom2morgan
01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
I find it very, very rough. But since you spend a lot of time at DLR the closest thing to it is Indiana Jones (which I also find rough) so that should give you an idea of whether you'd like it. I personally find my full attention on bracing myself rather than enjoying the ride!

SpecJoe Magic
01-12-2011, 06:12 AM
You ride in a vehicle that drives over simulated rough terrain through an environment filled with animatronic dinosaurs at a fairly fast pace while you are jostled around. It is quite loud and the dinosaurs jumping out at you could be startling for young children and/or those sensitive to such things. There is quite a bit of darkness as well. I personally think it's one of the most underrated attractions and there is really nothing else like it at WDW. I think you should give it a try unless you are very averse to loud noises, bumpy rides, and/or animatronics leaping towards you.

Disney4us2
01-12-2011, 11:02 AM
We went on Dinosaur several times during our trip. I loved it. I didn't really find it that loud. It seems that Indiana Jones is louder (to me). It was not as bumpy as Indiana Jones at Disneyland. I was on that last Saturday and Indy is much bumpier.

Can't wait to ride it again.:thumbsup:

MarkC
01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Its a bit loud but I don't think too loud. It is rough but I'm not a thrill ride person and it doesn't bother me at all.

And---- the dinosaurs are not real. We always laugh at the adults who looked terrified in the post ride photos.

JabberJaws
01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
And---- the dinosaurs are not real. We always laugh at the adults who looked terrified in the post ride photos.

Yes the ride photos are probably the best in all of WDW. People who have ridden it mutiple times know where the pics are taken and tend to pose, but those who don't make for some of the best shots. Adults and kids alike screaming in terror!

Oh and incidentally, though the dinosaurs aren't real, the ending where the carnotaur comes barreling down on you right before you snap back to the present gets me nearly EVERY time I ride it, and I've ridden it TONS of times. By far one of the scariest endings to a ride ever.

IMO Dinosaur is probably the most frightening non-coaster ride in WDW behind only maybe ToT. The only other WDW ride I've found more frightening on a regular basis was Alien Encounter, and that still ranks as one of my all time favorite theme park attractions, bar-none.

fabfundisney
01-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Our family loves this ride! It is true that it jolts you around quite a bit. I thought it was going to be too scary for my 5 y/o cousin but she loved it and wanted to go back on. The picture of her reaction was priceless! This is a definite must do for our upcoming trip.

fabfundisney
01-12-2011, 03:02 PM
The only other WDW ride I've found more frightening on a regular basis was Alien Encounter, and that still ranks as one of my all time favorite theme park attractions, bar-none.

I've been to WDW a few times and don't recall this ride...where is this located?

Stu29573
01-12-2011, 03:20 PM
I've been to WDW a few times and don't recall this ride...where is this located?

It is now "Stitch's Great Escape," which is, in its way, far scarier than anything else I've ever been on. Well, let's just say I never want to go on it again. Ever.

fabfundisney
01-12-2011, 03:25 PM
It is now "Stitch's Great Escape," which is, in its way, far scarier than anything else I've ever been on. Well, let's just say I never want to go on it again. Ever.

Ok, I agree. We are not a fan of Stitch...but that's another topic:cool:

DakotaDisney
01-12-2011, 11:39 PM
It's a good ride. I have been on it several times, but I do like the Indiana Jones ride better.

I totally agree with several of the posts here, that it is very LOUD. It's not over done, but that is always the first think that I think of when I think of this ride, is how loud I always think it is each time I have ridden it.

I wonder why it is so loud. Is it to hide the noise of the animatronics and other machines?