PDA

View Full Version : Excuse me! Is Not a License to Cut Through the Queue

Goes4FastPass
11-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Here's a phrase I'd rather not hear from young people in queues at WDW attractions: "Excuse me!"

It too often means some 6 foot tall kid is about to knock our 4YO down moving up through the queue. And those tall brats can make "Excuuuuse me" sound very unpleasant.

So a few times last week I had an exchange like

Him/Her: Excuse me!
Me: (still blocking the way) OK.
Him/Her: I need to get by!
Me: I need everyone to wait in line.
Him/Her: My friends are up there.
Me: They'll wait for you.

At this point the would be queue-cutter would sometimes say something unrepeatable - but we all waited to enter the attraction.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
11-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Much to my wife's dismay, I will usually say:

"What did you do.." followed by some embarrassing bodily function.

Dw doesn't like it one bit, but it makes my day.

MNNHFLTX
11-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Moderator Warning--

I decided to give this warning up front. I understand that sometimes people like to vent, but these types of threads tend to degrade quickly into sarcasm, griping and just general ill-will. Imagine a new viewer logging onto the site and this being the first thread that they start reading. What kind of impression do you want them to have? Please keep this in mind as you post and keep the discussion family-friendly.

Mousemates
11-19-2010, 10:32 PM
gee...sometimes it would be nice if folks would just say, "excuse me."...at least the cutters you refer to are being moderately polite...I'd actually be inclined to give them a pass and step aside.

Hazmat
11-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Personally, I would wait for the rest of my party before even attempting to queue, but that's just me. I usually stop queue jumpers with my family. Human chain across the line. :p Most take the hint and wait patiently. Only ever been pushed out the way with colourful language once. Such a shame.. :(

Ian
11-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I usually handle situations like this by politely stepping aside and letting the person join their party up ahead. Typically this is accompanied by something to the effect of, "Sure thing ... enjoy the ride!"

I'm certainly not going to get all in a twist about one extra person in front of me in line. I'm pretty sure there are better things to complain about.

Gator
11-20-2010, 01:51 PM
I guess it depends on how long I've been waiting in line. If I'm tired of waiting and I see someone barreling through the line, I might purposely position myself in the way so that the line jumper at least says "excuse me" or "can I get by" and looks me in the eye. I've seen too many teenagers just hauling through the line and I stop to wonder if they're just abusing the generosity of others. For the most part, though, I'll just let them by.

Only once did I ever say, "What's your friend's name?" They said, "Uuuhhhh...". Pretty sure they were just line jumping.

rubato
11-20-2010, 02:45 PM
I try to always think positively of others and tend to just let them by. Hubby always thinks negatively of others and thinks they're cheating the system. Either way you look at it, we are still at WDW and standing in line to ride an awesome ride or see some amazing attraction. I do have to admit the term "excuse me" is overused by these teens in their attempt to get ahead. But, at least they aren't saying " Hey, get out of my way!" :mickey:

Scott C
11-20-2010, 02:57 PM
As has been stated before on this board -- It seems that most people understand if it is just 1 person or perhaps a parent with a child -- but when it is a larger group -- we do start to lose it. I certainly wish that Disney would take a firmer stance on this -- I have been witness to more than one fight over the years from this behavior. One of these days we will be discussing a major tragedy resulting from this indifference.

Thanks
Scott C

DisneyFr33k
11-21-2010, 07:18 AM
I have been witness to more than one fight over the years from this behavior. One of these days we will be discussing a major tragedy resulting from this indifference.

Wow! A fight? Really? This has happened a handful of times over the past 7 trips we've had at WDW. I our experiences it wasn't a teen, but an adult. Mainly they would say, "I'm sorry, I'm not cutting, I had to go to the bathroom" or another situation when a mom had to leave the line with her 2 year old (you know "mommy, I have to go NOW" situation) and she cut back through the line to get with her husband/son.

Overall, our experiences haven't seemed negative. I guess I view it like the Golden Rule.

However, if there are rules set forth by Disney about this, they need to be sure thier cast members enforce them.

Scott C
11-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow! A fight? Really? This has happened a handful of times over the past 7 trips we've had at WDW. I our experiences it wasn't a teen, but an adult. Mainly they would say, "I'm sorry, I'm not cutting, I had to go to the bathroom" or another situation when a mom had to leave the line with her 2 year old (you know "mommy, I have to go NOW" situation) and she cut back through the line to get with her husband/son.

Overall, our experiences haven't seemed negative. I guess I view it like the Golden Rule.

However, if there are rules set forth by Disney about this, they need to be sure thier cast members enforce them.

I totally agree -- there any many legitimate circumstances in which someone may need to move through the queue. But on occasion I have seen people just moving to the front of the line -- that where I see that a problem could develop -- I hope it never does -- but my gut feeling is that it eventually will.

Thanks
Scott C

BellesRose
11-21-2010, 04:59 PM
I usually handle situations like this by politely stepping aside and letting the person join their party up ahead. Typically this is accompanied by something to the effect of, "Sure thing ... enjoy the ride!"

I'm certainly not going to get all in a twist about one extra person in front of me in line. I'm pretty sure there are better things to complain about.
I completely agree. I do get aggravated when I'm standing in a long line and the parents behind/in front of me do not control their children, which leads to the children running into me and bumping me a thousand times. Other than that, I've learned to not let anything else bother me at Disney, if I can help it. If a few people want to go be with their family or friends on the ride, go for it! I would want to be with mine as well, even though we wouldn't separate and then try to cut everyone out.

Daisy'sMom
11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
But remember everyone, you are at Disney. Nothing should bother you at such a wonderful place. Just smile and let them by, they have so many problems if they are cheating you and the system.

LandFan
11-21-2010, 06:19 PM
But remember everyone, you are at Disney. Nothing should bother you at such a wonderful place. Just smile and let them by, they have so many problems if they are cheating you and the system.

:thumbsup:

minnesotafreeze
11-21-2010, 07:24 PM
So a few times last week I had an exchange like

Him/Her: Excuse me!
Me: (still blocking the way) OK.
Him/Her: I need to get by!
Me: I need everyone to wait in line.
Him/Her: My friends are up there.
Me: They'll wait for you.

I guess I do not understand the issue. Why hassle the young person? Let the person go by and catch up with their group.:mickey:

PopPhan
11-21-2010, 07:39 PM
I guess I do not understand the issue. Why hassle the young person? Let the person go by and catch up with their group.:mickey:

The issue is: RESPECT

Respect the people that are already in line. If you did not get in line with 'your group' either they will wait, or you will catch up with them later. If you were really so interested in being with them, you would have gotten in line with them and waited like everyone else.

minnesotafreeze
11-21-2010, 10:59 PM
The issue is: RESPECT

Respect the people that are already in line. If you did not get in line with 'your group' either they will wait, or you will catch up with them later. If you were really so interested in being with them, you would have gotten in line with them and waited like everyone else.

PopPhan I think you hit the nail on the head with "Respect". I respect the person enough asking to catch up with their group that I would let them by.

I think the difference is I see this from a different perspective than you. A couple of years ago my son had to go to the bathroom after standing in line for 30 minutes to see Mickey. My wife ran him to the bathroom and came back 10 minutes later but a lady a few people behind me would not let my wife and him move up to where I was. I felt like punching the lady but then I looked at her and realized she is just an angry person who life has beaten down. Since I was in Disney and and was not going to let this get to me I walked back to where my wife and son were and waited for Mickey.:goofy2:

bostonsam
11-21-2010, 11:32 PM
I am guilty of doing that myself:blush:I wouldn't say anything if a person left a line and came back to their party so doesn't bother me...I mean would a person(want to)wait all over again?I think not;)

Goes4FastPass
11-22-2010, 09:36 AM
To clarify, I was not describing a person being in any way polite but using the words, "Excuse me". What we encountered was that expression delivered in the most impatient and sarcastic manner possible - as if the intention was, "Get out of the way. Now."

I didn't let any of it bother me or interrupt our fun day.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Letting one person in who went to the bathroom does not bother me...what really did bother me was one trip we encountered folks with walkie talkies who had one person wait in line and just before they were to board the ride they would call their buddies and a dozen or more folks would appear and cut in front of you to board the ride.....:mad:

southerngirl
11-22-2010, 01:00 PM
As the mom of an active 2 yr old son, I have sometimes been guilty of letting my DH stand in line (particularly in Fantasyland) and then joining him a few minutes later. BUT, I have only done this two or three times in all of our trips, and usually it has been just a matter of needing to drop off the stroller or DS being in one of those moods where he is more likely to harass people in lines than behave himself, and I never let DH get all the way to the front of the line. I am always extremely polite about it when we rejoin him, and many times, if the line is moving quickly, DH lets everyone pass in front of him, and then we "catch up" to him.

Now, what does annoy me is when one person stands in line for 20-30 minutes and then has a group of 10-12 adults and teenagers join him at the very last minute. That's a blatant attempt at line jumping, and I think that most adults and teenagers (especially in groups) can handle waiting in line together. If it were just one person who had to leave for a bathroom break, etc., that would be okay, but an entire group jumping line is a bit much.

EpcotChic23
11-23-2010, 10:52 AM
It happens at least once every trip. We are waiting in line then we hear "excuse me" and then a group of people push by me. This past year I was in line with my 15 mo to meet Marie and when we are 2 people away the group of pre-teen and teenagers do the famous "excuse me my mom is up there". Which she is but when I gets to my turn they told me "Marie needs a milk break she will be back in 15 min:cool:" I never say anything I just roll my eyes.

crltkcagle
11-23-2010, 01:07 PM
I have done this before because my 4 year old had to use the bathroom. I didn't realilze it would make people angry. I was waiting in line with everyone else but had to leave to bring him to the bathroom. When he was finished we joined my husband and other kids back in line. Was that bad? I don't want to make anyone angry. :confused:

PopPhan
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I have done this before because my 4 year old had to use the bathroom. I didn't realilze it would make people angry. I was waiting in line with everyone else but had to leave to bring him to the bathroom. When he was finished we joined my husband and other kids back in line. Was that bad? I don't want to make anyone angry. :confused:

Not to single you out, but there are a number of posts like this on this thread and I believe that families with young children are allowed 'potty breaks' without fear of being considered "line jumpers" -- that is an honest reason for leaving the line and rejoining your party. Respect goes both ways. I respect that you have a situation that demands attention and will gladly let you return to your original position with your family.

What isn't allowable, or acceptable, is the idea that one person can hold a spot in line and have people join them at a later time, without ever having been together in the line in the first place.

If you notice at Fantasmic this is being monitored more closely lately. On our last trip we watched as a number of people trying to move up in the queue were told they needed to go back to the back of the line. They weren't happy about it, but they weren't let in any further either.

Goes4FastPass
11-23-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry I started what looks like a line breaking discussion.

I only wanted to rant a little about when a person says "excuse me" as they shove you aside they are not being polite.

Crowds of people waiting together should practice courtesy and cooperation - especially in the happiest place on earth.

Moderator! Kill me! Shhot me now!

bdm@pga
11-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I knew this was going to get some people hot!

Last year I posted a question about line jumping and it led to replies a mile long and a lot of angry people!:D

2 things we are overlooking...the original statement of "excuse me is not an excuse"..you are right, it is not. But everyone has their own reason for doing what they are doing so look on the bright side..at least they said "excuse me."...and 2...walk a mile in a person's shoes before you judge them...sometimes the its not an excuse its an explanation...and until your the one who has to take Suzy to the bathroom 30 seconds before the ride, you'll never understand what its like.
Yes there are some that abuse the system, there always are, but most of the time it is a legit situation.
I try to find a good spot in the line, a turn back or even the exit, and wait for my family so that I don't have to walk through everyone.

DisneyFr33k
11-23-2010, 02:10 PM
I only wanted to rant a little about when a person says "excuse me" as they shove you aside they are not being polite.

Oh, I see! I totally agree! It is very rude to physically push you and barrel through! :thumbsup:

caryrae
11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry I started what looks like a line breaking discussion.

Crowds of people waiting together should practice courtesy and cooperation - especially in the happiest place on earth.

Moderator! Kill me! Shhot me now!

Something how some people think just saying the words is enough.

big blue and hairy
11-23-2010, 03:48 PM

I absolutely agree. I have had occasion when my wife, an asthmatic needed water. I got out of line, got her the water and came back, very politely excusing myself, and letting people know why. You don't know the story, and you're not the "line police". I'm sure some people abuse it, but everyone doesn't, just relax, you're on vacation for heaven sake!

:sulley:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-23-2010, 04:13 PM

That wouldn't bother me at all, I think most people would be understanding in that situation....when little kids have to go potty they usually can't hold it

big blue and hairy
11-23-2010, 04:20 PM
I find this perfectly acceptable. A 4 year old doesn't plan ahead to go to the bathroom before getting in line and when they have to go, well, they have to go! Don't worry about it.

disneymom2000
11-24-2010, 10:12 PM

1) You can't count on cast members policeing this sort of thing.
2) I know a lot of times I have had to let someone in is because they have had to excuse themselves to go to the restroom or to take a little one to the restroom. These guys are usually polite about it.
3) Heated encounters usually occur when the heat is up or the crowds are unusually large so wait times are longer. You pay to go in the value season and along with that comes with the larger crowds. Its hard to say be patient - but please be patient and don't ruin your vacation on account of others being rude.

Enjoy yourself - Your at Disney.:mickey:

captain j
11-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Normally if it's 1 or 2 people trying to catch up to their family, I don't have a problem. However, we just had a group of 12 cut in front of us to catch up to 1 person at the front of the line...not cool in my book.

disneygirl87
11-26-2010, 11:31 AM
The only time people cutting through the line bothers me is when it's a teenager or group of teenagers. I was a teenager not too long ago (I'm 23) and understand that waiting can be bothersome. That said, every time my younger brother and I go to the parks without our parents we have waited in line with everyone else & never felt the need to jump the line. We're all going to the same place and it doesn't matter if you get there now or later, the ride isn't going to change. It's bothersome, but I try to think of how much fun I'm going to have on the attraction instead of the people cutting through the line. And when people cut through the line, I pray that their parents/family members will one day teach them some manners.

Brutus07
12-22-2010, 11:18 PM
[QUOTE=Brutus07;2127576][QUOTE=MNNHFLTX;2120418]Moderator Warning--

I decided to give this warning up front. I understand that sometimes people like to vent, but these types of threads tend to degrade quickly into sarcasm, griping and just general ill-will. Imagine a new viewer logging onto the site and this being the first thread that they start reading. What kind of impression do you want them to have? Please keep this in mind as you post and keep the discussion family-friendly.[/QUOTE

Actually, contrary to your theory that new users will hate it, I just logged on for the first time and find this sort of forced cheeriness you seem to be trying to force on members nauseating and chilling. What's wrong with people speaking their opinions? They're not cussing, insulting others, or anything. What exactly are you afraid of? A negative thought? Since when are ideas bad? Some of you Disneyphiles need to grow up emotionally and learn that life actually gets better when you admit that there are things in need of improvement out there and when others like the guy above do something about it. I bet a kid who does this and gets goofed on publically will think twice about cutting in line. I call that a small victory for the good guys. Maybe his sharing it will embolden others to peacefully make a stand against it as well.

So basically, when you try to shut down venting on these topics about rude guests, you tacitly endorse the bad behavior or at least prevent anything from getting better.

I say talking about it is more worthwhile than denying it exists.

QUOTE]

#1donaldfan
12-23-2010, 12:25 PM

This is exactly how I feel about this !! Why get into an uproar with an extra (or so) people in front of you.....I'm certainly not going to fight someone, in front of kids, over "line jumping"....:cool:

Granny Jill A
12-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Depends on how many and how pushy or unpleasant the "scuse me's" are.....

If they smile and wait for your answer, I let them through. If they shoulder on by without a response from me, all I can do at that point is think very bad thoughts about them.

I agree with previous posters that rules are only good if they are enforced. I wish line crashers were quietly pulled aside at the front and told they will have to wait their turn. They could then be reinserted at their original point of departure.

Sounds fair to me.

MNNHFLTX
12-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Actually, contrary to your theory that new users will hate it, I just logged on for the first time and find this sort of forced cheeriness you seem to be trying to force on members nauseating and chilling. What's wrong with people speaking their opinions? They're not cussing, insulting others, or anything. What exactly are you afraid of? A negative thought? Since when are ideas bad? Some of you Disneyphiles need to grow up emotionally and learn that life actually gets better when you admit that there are things in need of improvement out there and when others like the guy above do something about it. I bet a kid who does this and gets goofed on publically will think twice about cutting in line. I call that a small victory for the good guys. Maybe his sharing it will embolden others to peacefully make a stand against it as well.

So basically, when you try to shut down venting on these topics about rude guests, you tacitly endorse the bad behavior or at least prevent anything from getting better.

I say talking about it is more worthwhile than denying it exists. My warning was not an effort to "force cheeriness" on our members or discussion board readers, just a reminder to keep things civil and to keep the sarcasm to a minimum. As the resulting replies show, people do have the right to complain about problems they see at WDW (or other things Disney), but still need to adhere to board rules, set up to keep the discussion respectful and productive. I think most of our members appreciate this. There are plenty of other Disney-related discussion boards where the conversation is allowed to become overly sarcastic and even hostile, leaving potential posters with a negative impression. This may not be the case with you, but is for many people, based on feedback we have gotten through the years.

So I welcome you to INTERCOT and invite you to continue perusing our boards and contributing your opinions, good or bad. Just remember our Terms of Service (which you agreed to when joining INTERCOT) when posting to avoid any problems. :welcome:

MNDisney Dad
12-26-2010, 09:09 AM
DW and I often get separated in line. Our rule is the ones in front will wait for the ones behind to catch up. Simple.

mom2morgan
12-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm not good at confronting people - I steam inwardly. But I was at DLR this summer with a friend, and there was a group of teenage girls that we ran into in a couple of differnt lines who were pushing their way past others in line. My frined was great! SHe was polite but firm and said - I'm sorry, you need to wait at the back of the line like everyone else. They were totally astonished - but immediately did as they were told. I think some folks dont "get" stern looks or sighs and need to be given a pretty clear statement - and it can be polite and said with a smile!

RBrooksC
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
I am sorry, but potty breaks means EVERYBODY goes to the potty, even if they just wait outside the doors. Getting in line to hold a spot does not wash with me. You are only as fast as your slowest person. So, if that person is taking a potty break, everybody should wait. I shouldn't have to let you slide by in a long stand-by line.

I had a teen try to do that to me at a Six Flags and I told him he may wait behind me. He said his friend's are up there, I told him, if his company were that important to them, they were more than welcome to come back and join him. He made some other comment, and I said, the last I checked, cutting in line was punishable by ejection from the park. If he wanted, I would be happy to discuss with a Park Supervisor the situation and let him decide. That is when he decided it was better to stay behind me.

The problem is too many people have the laissez-faire attitude towards it so that is why so many people think it is their right to cut into a line to "meet up with their party."

magicman
01-07-2011, 02:39 PM

GREAT advice.
After a 3 year hiatus from WDW, I will be returning at the end of January. I'm vowing to heed your advice and not let minor issues become major issues. If there is rudeness, I'm going to try to give grace. (I have certainly received more than my share of it in my life.):smickey:

faline
01-07-2011, 02:54 PM

On the other hand, we have invited the two people in front of us to feel free to stand aside and joing the 25 people in their group standing in line BEHIND us. Somehow, they felt it should be the other way around.

I am a little confused about the propery protocol on this. During a recent trip to Disney, at park opening in Disney Studios, most folks were, of course, making a bee line for Toy Story Mania. As we arrived there, cast members were instructing folks to send only 1 of their party into the fast pass line and telling all other members of the party to go into the fast pass line. These instructions seem to indicate that they expect the singles in the fast pass line to then wiggle through the standby to join the rest of their party (or am I missing something here)?

big blue and hairy
01-07-2011, 04:13 PM
The problem is too many people have the laissez-faire attitude towards it so that is why so many people think it is their right to cut into a line to "meet up with their party."If this is your biggest problem, you should really consider yourself lucky. Does one person going to the potty and going back in line where they would have been if nature hadn't called really affect your enjoyment of the ride and the day?

MNNHFLTX
01-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I am a little confused about the propery protocol on this. During a recent trip to Disney, at park opening in Disney Studios, most folks were, of course, making a bee line for Toy Story Mania. As we arrived there, cast members were instructing folks to send only 1 of their party into the fast pass line and telling all other members of the party to go into the fast pass line. These instructions seem to indicate that they expect the singles in the fast pass line to then wiggle through the standby to join the rest of their party (or am I missing something here)?So Linda--CM's instructed one person from each party to go into the Fastpass distribution lines while the rest went into the standby line ? (I was wondering if you might have mis-typed, so I just wanted to clarify.) While it certainly does seem to fly again usual policy, I can kind of understand the logic. The Fastpass distribution lines at TSM usually gets much more congested than the actual standby line and it would make more sense for that one person to catch up with their party than have all those people clogging up the Fastpass distribution area. I guess if you're being instructed to do it it's okay.

faline
01-07-2011, 05:15 PM
So Linda--CM's instructed one person from each party to go into the Fastpass distribution lines while the rest went into the standby line ? (I was wondering if you might have mis-typed, so I just wanted to clarify.)

That is exactly what there were instructing folks to do - I was really surprised to hear them instructing folks to do this which is why it was so memorable to me!

RBrooksC
01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
If this is your biggest problem, you should really consider yourself lucky. Does one person going to the potty and going back in line where they would have been if nature hadn't called really affect your enjoyment of the ride and the day?

Well, I am more concerned about the people who say, "I am going to the bathroom, get in line and I will meet up with you." If a member of your party has to do something else, you all need to do it and get in line together. You shouldn't expect those who have taken the time to wait in line together to let you past to get to your group. If it is that important that your group remain together, stay together.

Aurora
01-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Years ago, when someone had to get out of line with a child to go to the bathroom, it never seemed to be a big deal. People had no problem letting them back in the line, and there was no animosity. If there was an eyeroll or two, those people were the ones who looked like jerks. Now, it seems that people have such a "mine, mine, mine" mentality, you almost have to worry about line rage if you attempt it.

I'm sorry, but I just don't care if one or two people pass me in the queue to get to their party, no matter what their age. Of course if it's 25 people, that's ridiculous. But in many, many trips, I've never experienced this, and I doubt that it's some kind of a trend.

rubato
01-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Just back and not one person in 7 days attempted to cut through the line. I was quite pleased! :thumbsup:

RedHead
01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Years ago, when someone had to get out of line with a child to go to the bathroom, it never seemed to be a big deal. People had no problem letting them back in the line, and there was no animosity. If there was an eyeroll or two, those people were the ones who looked like jerks. Now, it seems that people have such a "mine, mine, mine" mentality, you almost have to worry about line rage if you attempt it.

I think the difference is sending someone ahead - intentionally dividing the group, expecting to pass others in line that went as a group to use the facilities - and having a child IN LINE declare that "Mommy, I need to go potty..." and them leaving their spot they actually hold in line (with a placeholder companion who remains) and then returning to their previous place, the same place they would have been without the potty trip....

Tigger's Mom
01-25-2011, 09:18 AM
My son and I had a somewhat unpleasant encounter with a couple guests on Space Mountain last Summer. It was the morning of our last day and my son wanted to ride Space Mountain (his favorite MK ride now) as many times as he could before we had to leave at noon for our ride to the airport. We got one FP and waited for two other rides (we were early). At any rate a young couple in front of us on the first time through wanted to play the video games they have for when the line is long. We played them several times on the trip ourselves. At any rate, when I asked if we could go around them, they told us no and to enjoy the experience of the whole ride; to stop rushing. People behind us were getting angry. I had no problem with what they were doing, but our vacation was ending, not just beginning, we had been experiencing things all week and were trying to squeeze as much out of that last morning as possible. I think that if you want to do all the things while in the queue, you should be willing to let others pass. Other than this situation, I never try to move up, even when we traveled with my sister and her family. If we were after them, we met up somewhere after the ride. Only makes sense to me!

Goes4FastPass
01-25-2011, 09:23 AM
...At any rate a young couple in front of us on the first time through wanted to play the video games they have for when the line is long. We played them several times on the trip ourselves. At any rate, when I asked if we could go around them, they told us no and to enjoy the experience of the whole ride; to stop rushing...

You certainly can and should walk past those stopping to play the game if you choose to. I Absolutely. Without a doubt. (really)

RBrooksC
01-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Good grief. Ok, even I draw the line there. It is one thing to have your group go ahead while people use the restroom, get a drink, etc and then try to pass people standing patiently in line so you can meet up with your group.

It all comes down to common courtesy. One should not expect people to let you pass to meet your group if you didn't get in line with your group. Also, one should not expect to keep their place in line if you decided to play a "queue game."

If you want to stand there and play a game, more power to you, but don't hold up those who don't care about the game.

If you make a conscience decision to not move ahead in line and want to stand there and play the queue game, then you need to let those behind you move.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
My son and I had a somewhat unpleasant encounter with a couple guests on Space Mountain last Summer. It was the morning of our last day and my son wanted to ride Space Mountain (his favorite MK ride now) as many times as he could before we had to leave at noon for our ride to the airport. We got one FP and waited for two other rides (we were early). At any rate a young couple in front of us on the first time through wanted to play the video games they have for when the line is long. We played them several times on the trip ourselves. At any rate, when I asked if we could go around them, they told us no and to enjoy the experience of the whole ride; to stop rushing. People behind us were getting angry. I had no problem with what they were doing, but our vacation was ending, not just beginning, we had been experiencing things all week and were trying to squeeze as much out of that last morning as possible. I think that if you want to do all the things while in the queue, you should be willing to let others pass. Other than this situation, I never try to move up, even when we traveled with my sister and her family. If we were after them, we met up somewhere after the ride. Only makes sense to me!

Was it a long wait for the ride or was the line moving steadily at the time? I won't lie, if the line was moving pretty steadily and and there was room in line to where you actually enter the loading docks for the ride, I would not have asked permission to walk by. I figure I am not there to enjoy people I dont know playing a "line game". It is the same for TSM. If someone wants to stop and take pictures with the Mr. Potato Head and talk to him, then great for you, but if the line is moving I'm not waiting for you. If I am only able to advance in line by maybe 10 feet, I will be happy to be courteous and wait for you to interact with the potato and play the game. I agree that it all depends on common courtesy. Some have it, others have their own agenda. To get respect, you have to give it.

LVT
01-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Many of these responses assume good health and big bladders. It ain't necessarily so. I have a 20 min. limit as do many adults and children. Longer lines are not doable without a quick trip. Not to mention that going on Space Mountain with a full bladder would be stupid for me.