PDA

View Full Version : Can you still ride in the front of the Monorail?

Jack Skellington
11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I tried searching the threads for this... but no luck.

Do Monorail drivers/CM's still allow people to ride in the front with them on the Monorail?

That is a very fun memory I have and I hope many others get a chance to do that.

JS:mickey:

Melanie
11-18-2010, 06:26 PM
No, not since the monorail accident in July '09.

WDWdriver
11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Sadly, no. And probably never again.

plutosnana
11-18-2010, 08:08 PM
NO, :'( but I wonder if the little license things the younger kids get is worth something now?

MyDisneyworld
11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
We were just there and were wondering the same thing because we didn't see anyone waiting. Figured they must have stopped this but didn't ask.

Gator
11-23-2010, 03:21 PM
No, not since the monorail accident in July '09.

Seriously?!?! What a bummer. I guess my video footage of riding in the front is priceless now. I figured I'd let my kids ride up front on the next trip.

Didn't they get that problem fixed so it wouldn't happen again?

Polynesian Dweller
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Didn't they get that problem fixed so it wouldn't happen again?

They have addressed many of the things in that string if causation but they still have to use the spur to get trains on and off that line so that's one element that can't be addressed.

But it's also about risk riding at the front and that us always greater than in the middle. Collisions on that system will never be on the side. So, what is the risk and what is the impact on your business become the questions. And deaths of guests sitting in the front would have a devastating impact, especially when that is so easily preventable by not allowing them there.

And, comparing to Disneyland really doesn't work. DL's system is operationally very different than WDW's. It's single loop, single direction and as much ride as transportation.

WDWPrincess
11-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Disney is one of the most safety-conscious companies around.

However, sometimes they go overboard.

People die in auto accidents everyday--Ooops- I guess Disney shouldn't use cars and buses to transport people then.

A woman choked on her hamburger in Iowa? Maybe Disney shouldn't serve food anymore - a guest might choke.

Even though there was one tragic monorail accident - I think there are MANY MANY MANY more ways that someone will get hurt at Walt Disney World than sitting in front of the monorail. It's silly that they no longer allow it.

disneymom2000
11-24-2010, 09:43 PM
My kids got to do this on our first visit in 1993 and it was such a wonderful memory. How sad kids can't experience that now.:(

Scott C
11-25-2010, 06:03 PM
While I agree with all of this -- there is one unmentioned factor that I have been wondering about. I wonder if the drivers want the riders back. In the past I have been a guest in the front cabin and felt that the driver did not really want anyone up there. Others have been the exact opposite. I wonder how the majority of the drivers feel??

Thanks
Scott C

Buttercup
11-25-2010, 07:43 PM
Personally, I don't really WANT kids riding in the front, if I was riding in the regular part of the monorail. I don't want anyone distracting the driver, just as I don't want anyone in the cockpit of an airplane, or standing in front of the "yellow line" in a city bus. And I don't want them up in the room at Space Mountain where the guy is watching all of the cars on the track to make sure they're safely operating. I want that driver focused on what they're doing, watching their speed, keeping an eye on safety, etc... not chit-chatting with rambunctious kids bouncing around up there, even with how unlikely another collision would be. There are computerized safety measures that are in place to avoid collisions, but the driver's gotta be focused and on-the-ball in case those measures fail, so they can take the reigns and avoid problems. I imagine kids and families asking questions and bouncing around and making noise could be quite a distraction.

I'm sure it was and could be a cool experience, but so would sitting up front with the driver in the parking lot tram... but it's not the smartest idea safety-wise.

Insanity Clause
11-26-2010, 10:09 AM
This was something that I remember from our first trip in '01. I was pregnant with my DS and it was an adult only trip with the exception of my stowaway. We were in line for the monorail and the CM asked if we would like to ride up in front! There were 5 of us and I don't remember if we were all allowed to but I know that I did as well as my friend and possibly my husband. What I am trying to get at it was one of those little surprise moments that you sometimes get at Disney!