PDA

View Full Version : Gowalla

emfleck
11-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Can anyone tell me more about Gowalla and using it at Disney. I've downloaded the app to my blackberry and can't wait to try using it on my next trip in 14 days. Any info/suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Capt_redshirt
11-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Gowalla is a "check-in" program like foursquare and facebook places. In other words what it does is it lets your friends know where you are. As long as your gps functions are working correctly it will find out where you are and you can let people know you are there. What gowalla is doing is whenever you visit a specific location you will get a virtual sticker. Thats about it. What i have found with these programs is you get too busy or have too much fun where you forget to use them all together. I hope this helps

brownie
03-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Tried it on our trip at Thanksgiving and stopped using it after 2 days. It killed my phone battery by mid-day. I didn't keep the app running; I only started it to check-in at a park or attraction. It's a cool concept but it wasn't worth it for me to lose my phone for the remainder of the day.

JPL
03-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Sadly just about any GPS based app does the same thing to your phone. I have noticed this a lot even when I had tweet location turned on it killed my battery. It's a very cool concept especially with a place like Disney and would also be a greta help when writing trip reports since often I forget some of the details or the order I did attractions. Ok so I forget what days I did some attractions :blush: I really wish battery technology would catch up to phone technology :mad:

brownie
03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Sadly just about any GPS based app does the same thing to your phone. I have noticed this a lot even when I had tweet location turned on it killed my battery. It's a very cool concept especially with a place like Disney and would also be a greta help when writing trip reports since often I forget some of the details or the order I did attractions. Ok so I forget what days I did some attractions :blush: I really wish battery technology would catch up to phone technology :mad:

I started the trip writing the attractions on a notepad but replaced that with a picture of the attraction sign. I was taking pictures anyways so and it was quicker than writing it down. With the digital camera I had the date and time embedded in the picture file.

JPL
03-17-2011, 11:12 AM
I usually do the same thing when writing a trip report I just reference my pictures but some things still slip through the cracks if I decide not to take pictures :blush: