PDA

View Full Version : Fantasyland Expansion question

Boost
11-17-2010, 06:57 PM
While at MK this past weekend, I got a look over the fence at the Fantasyland expansion via a Dumbo ride with our daughter. From what it looks like (and from what I have read online), it appears that the area that was formerly 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea will become the Ariel attraction that may use an Omnimover system. Does anyone know if any part of 20K will be used/repurposed? I am just wondering. I still miss 20K....yeah, I realize that it was hot (as in low AC circulation), cramped at times, had tech issues, etc., but I read somewhere that the whole attraction area was filled in with dirt after the subs were removed. Somehow, that just seemed to be a waste of all of that Imagineering back in the day. It would be great to see some of that resurrected.

faline
11-17-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't imagne we'll see that attraction at Disney World in the near future. I still rue the trip when the line was too long and I thought I'd get it on our "next trip"! Unfortunately, the next trip was too late!

DizneyFreak2002
11-17-2010, 08:16 PM
The only part of 20K being reused is... A wall from the show building...

DisneyLuver91
11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
The only part of 20K being reused is... A wall from the show building...

The use of that wall is saving Disney a pantload of money due to "new construction" laws. Hopefully the money saved will go to making the parks even better. :mickey:

Captain_Nemo
11-18-2010, 05:55 PM
so if Disney keeps one wall, it is considered an addition rather than new construction?> I heard 20k was filled in with cement

Jack Skellington
11-18-2010, 06:08 PM
They still have the subs at DL. Of course, it has been turned into a Nemo ride, but that's not so bad either.

I too am curious about the Fantasyland expansion. From what I saw, there is going to be a new Little Mermaid themed restaurant, a Beauty & the Beast enchanted story telling, etc.

Anyone know the scoop?

JS:mickey:

11-19-2010, 11:52 AM
The use of that wall is saving Disney a pantload of money due to "new construction" laws. Hopefully the money saved will go to making the parks even better. :mickey:

The "savings" are not due to "new construction" laws.

If they had gone further the costs of relocating infrastructure items would have been VERY high. There are a lot of things back there that guests do not know exist. Relocation of these items would have not only been expensive, it would have shut down some things for several months for their relocation.

BraddyB
11-19-2010, 12:29 PM
The "savings" are not due to "new construction" laws.

If they had gone further the costs of relocating infrastructure items would have been VERY high. There are a lot of things back there that guests do not know exist. Relocation of these items would have not only been expensive, it would have shut down some things for several months for their relocation.

Do tell, now that you have peaked my interest.

brivers222
11-19-2010, 11:58 PM
so if Disney keeps one wall, it is considered an addition rather than new construction?> I heard 20k was filled in with cement

Our former starting goalie "Chris Osgood" bought a house in the town over from me. he got this tiny little house and tore down the whole thing but one wall... built the 200k house into a 3.5million mansion (looks out of place actually) but becuase he kept a wall it was considered a renovation and he said he saved a lot of money

Captain_Nemo
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
lol gotta love loop holes

Ian
12-07-2010, 08:07 AM
They still have the subs at DL. Of course, it has been turned into a Nemo ride, but that's not so bad either.I thought the Nemo subs at DL were awesome. We really enjoyed that ride! It gave me a chance to experience that 20k feeling with my kids, but in a new and relevant way that they could relate to. Awesome job ... wish they had done that at WDW instead of the Living Seas version which is cute, but kinda lame overall.

I too am curious about the Fantasyland expansion. From what I saw, there is going to be a new Little Mermaid themed restaurant, a Beauty & the Beast enchanted story telling, etc.Honestly, the entire thing appears to be in a pretty big state of flux. They had some plans out that were mostly a series of elaborate princess meet and greets and a few other trinkets, but that plan appears to have been kiboshed at some higher level of Disney management as being a tad too narrow in scope (being kind here).

So they're allegedly re-evaluating a lot of it. For example, there was a Pixie Hollow element that was going to be a part of it, but from what I understand that's been scrapped completely (I don't think that fairy franchise is working out the way they wanted it to). They also seem to have dumped a couple of the princess meet and greets in favor for ... something else? We don't really know yet.

What we do know for certain is that the Little Mermaid dark ride from DCA is going in on the old 20k site, that they're moving Dumbo from its current location back into the area formerly known as Toontown and building a second version next to it to create a "Dueling Dumbos", and that they're going to be re-theming Toontown in some sort of way.

Outside of that, details are sorely lacking at this point.

JabberJaws
12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Well unfortunately years ago before they even knew (or at least publicly knew) what they were going to do w/ that area, that flattened and paved over the entire 20k attraction spot, so I am not sure there is even anything to repurpose even if they wanted too. That being said, I can't imagine you will see the ride be resurrected in the parks at WDW again in any shape or form.