PDA

View Full Version : Security Essentials 2011 virus

Jeri Lynn
11-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the removal of this spyware.

My daughters laptop is infected with it. It is a fake virus program.

I'm having a hard time removing it.

Thanks

candace flynn
11-17-2010, 02:52 PM
We had some fake virus on our computer, not sure if it was the same, but we got instructions off the internet on how to remove it.

I would try that if you haven't already, I think there were several ways to get rid of it. It seems to be gone.

NewDVCowner
11-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Is it that Thinkpoint one? I had to deal with that at work. Just go online and do a search and you'll find helpful information.

DizneyRox
11-17-2010, 03:12 PM
I've had very good luck with Malwarebytes, which is available over at malwarebytes.org.

That and AVG are my two favorites this month. Seems they consistently jockey for position. In the past I've used AdAware and Spybot for malware removal with success.

Often it takes running the programs in SafeMode and doing a few reboots along the way.

princessjojo
11-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I had a similar virus infect my laptop a few months ago. Locked out my then current anti-virus software and wouldn't even allow me to open the control panel. It was a real nuisance for the short time it was there. And even when I tried to run new anti-virus programs, the virus would halt them from running. It essentially took over my computer. I finally ended up having to contact customer service for my anti-virus software and they had to remotely remove the virus at the tune of $100+ and a new software program.

They instructed me to avoid all "pop-ups" and not even click on them to close them out. To pretty much shut the computer down and restart. It was a real mess, but a lesson well learned.

Good luck with your removal!!

Itchy
11-17-2010, 07:12 PM
I hope this not violate any rules for posting.

My lady friend had the Think Point Virus on her computer at work and it locked the entire system up. Here is what I had to do to get it cleaned. Best of all its free.

If you can open you computer in safe mode open the task manager and click on the processes tab. Scroll thru them to see if you have either Hot Fix. exe or Think Point. exe. If you do highlight the file and them click end process at the bottom of the page. If you can open internet explorer do a search for

VIPRERescue7333.exe

in google. There will be complete instructions on what to do. I took a total of 3.75 hr for the program to do a complete search of the operating systems. When it did it located and fixed 9 virus files. The computer was returned to its good old self. The wait was worth it.

Hope this helps. Dont give up you can do it yourself as I am not a computer tech. :mickey:

Jeri Lynn
11-18-2010, 06:03 AM
thanks for all the feedback. I did download the malwarebytes and it seems to have taken care of the problem...I'm going to check with my
DD today to see if her computer is still ok.

DizneyRox
11-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Glad I could help... If you're running Win 7 (I think Vista and XP do this as well), I've found System Restore points to be very useful. I used to turn that stuff off, but I've bene able to use them on many people's machines to restore functionality.

The key is to catch things early. There have been a few times where it's just too late to be helpful.

As as a PP said, it's always wise to close any popups, don't click on any OKAY or CANCEL buttons, just the X in the corner. I have also found that Chrome (Google's browser) is a little safer from many of the drive by exploits that have been circulating. Does nothing if you download and install programs that contain the virus/malware, but there are a lot of security problems in IE lately that have been pretty serious. Also, keeping Flash and Acrobat up to date will help as well. I think Adobe has been the biggest security risk this past year...