PDA

View Full Version : A weighty issue

princessjojo
11-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Well, we're just over 200 days away from our next trip and we're all excited. Something to look forward to for the summer...

As prep and for my own health I wanted to loose a little weight before our trip. In the past, I've been very active, running and trying to keep in shape. But last Oct, while running, I blew out the disc in my neck requiring surgery to repair it. I've been very nervous about any strenuous activity that may even possibly cause me to re-injure myself. As a result, I weigh more now, not a lot more but maybe 15-20lbs, but more than I ever have before.

I've cut down on what I eat and have made healthier eating choices. I already eat small portions, almost child-like sizes and rarely eat fast food, fried food, or dessert type foods such as cakes, pies or even ice cream and only maybe 3-4 times/year eat candy bars. So I've run into what else can I do. I know I need to be more active, but my problem is with my work schedule, I go day to nights frequently, sometimes switching in the middle of a week, so I find myself sleeping the day away prior to a night shift and 1/2 the day away when I get home from the night, thus losing nearly 3 days and I still have at minimum 2 more days to work that same week.

I'm looking for hints, strategy and encouragement. I know 15lbs isn't a large amount to lose, and I'm not one to get caught up by the number, but more by what is actually a healthy body. I can be comfortable with my weight number if it's muscle weight, but not body fat weight. I work in a cardiac/respiratory ICU unit and see people come in time and time again, and refuse to let myself become one of them because of choices I can control.

Ms. Mode
11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
You might want to check out T-Tapp! It's a great workout you can do in 15 minutes a day (if that's all you want to put into it) and no diet is necessary. :mickey:

Dulcee
11-17-2010, 09:57 AM
The switching from nights/days is a killer. My DBF has always worked in jobs where one day is he is working 9-5 and the next from 10 at night to 5 in the morning.

He's found that eating lots of small meals throughout the day instead of three large meals helps him. He also runs or walks daily. Our dog helps him out with that as she needs to go out whether he is tired or feeling lazy.

He's also found that forcing himself to get up early on the days he has to be in to work late helps him feel motivated to do things during the day. He may not feel great when I'm dragging him out of bed but he always admits to feeling better about himself once he's awake and moving.

azdisneymom
11-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Walk more, try for 30 minutes a day. I tell myself 15 minutes out, 15 minutes back. I lost 10 pounds doing just that. I didn't walk fast or carry weights. I did make it a commitment - walk every day - no excuses. At the time I was working 2 jobs, 50 - 60 hours a week. I got up at the same time every morning, no matter what my schedule was and walked. I made myself a priority.

You have already gotten over one big hurdle - you have a healthier diet. (Add a handful of walnuts mid morning) Now just move more. The better you feel the more you will move and before you know it you will be back to your active self. You can do it!!!

dnickels
11-17-2010, 12:22 PM
It's not quite exact, but a sort of simple rule of thumb for weight gain / loss goes like this
-cutting 150 calories per day equals out to about 15 lbs lost per year.
-200 calories works out to about 20 lbs
etc.

Any one of us can lose 20 lbs a year by just cutting out a 20 oz regular soda or juice per day. If you drink soda (or even just about any fruit drinks), try switching them out for water or some of the almost no-calorie drink mixes like crystal light.

Walk more. Don't just forgo the closest parking space, but park the car a half mile from work/church/school/dr office/dentist office/appointments and walk. Sure they all have parking lots right there, but that doesn't mean we necessarily have to use them.

DisneyDog
11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I work in a place where there are always treats around. People bring in stuff all the time. We also have a water cooler with insta-hot. So, I started bringing in green tea bags and drink that throughout the day. It keeps me full, and keeps me from snacking, and it also gives me enough water throughout the day to help me. I did manage to lose almost 10 pounds last winter because of the tea. I didn't drink as much of it over the summer, because I just didn't want the hot beverages, and I put back on a few pounds. So, now that it's cooled off, I've started drinking more of the tea. I've already lost 1.5 pounds.

Dulcee
11-17-2010, 06:00 PM
I didn't drink as much of it over the summer, because I just didn't want the hot beverages, and I put back on a few pounds. So, now that it's cooled off, I've started drinking more of the tea. I've already lost 1.5 pounds.

Have you tried it iced? Brew it a little stronger and then pour it over ice. Its fantastic!

Briansmom
11-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Try tracking what you actually eat. I have been on weight watchers for the last 15 months and have lost 94 pounds. I am down to my last 20 pounds to lose and find they have been the hardest. BUT I also find that I do the best when I track everything I eat. That is one of the basics of WW. WW is based on points so I only have a certain amount of points I am alloted each day, with an additional 35 points per week to use any way I like (split among days or use all at one special meal). Keeping track of these is what keeps you in line and on the way to your goal. If you don't want to do weight watchers, decide what caloric intake you want to limit yourself to and track all food that goes into your mouth daily.....even the BLT's! (bites, licks and tastes). You will be surprised how quickly those add up.
Another thing we have learned is to USE ALL YOUR POINTS! If you try to restrict yourself too much, your body will rebel against you and hold onto what it is you're trying to lose!

Good luck to you!

ElenitaB
11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Good for you! :thumbsup:

Food intake is only half the equation (as you've already come to realize). I second the idea of walking and T-Tapp. The latter is really an amazing program and with little perceived effort, I always found myself sweating buckets. And the improved posture one gains through it paid off throughout the day.

garymacd
11-20-2010, 08:48 PM
There are lots of tips in the 2010 Healthy Living Club thread. Check it out.

Cinderelley
11-26-2010, 07:20 AM
First - from one RN to another - check with your doctor about your activity restriction concerns. Maybe consider a few physical therapy appointments to get you on the right track. I know it is tough with your schedule, but it can be well worth it.
Second - I work night shift. Try to plan your night shifts all together - work three in a row instead of one on, one off. It works much better that way.
Third - Our hospital has a group that does a walk around the grounds once a day (after work or at lunch). There's another group that prefers to do the stairs. Last, there's a group that uses the "gym" in the physical therapy department. It is open for the staff to use before and after the patients are using it.
Figure out what works best for you and grab a buddy. It will help keep you motivated.

mdhiggin
11-26-2010, 09:11 AM
DH and I have been on a diet by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. from his book Eat To Live. It makes a lot of sense to us, and he has documented cases of helping his own patients with the diet. DH lost 13 pounds, and I lost 7 in two weeks. The book says most people lose 20 pounds within 6 weeks. We allowed ourselves a free day on Thanksgiving, but I stopped after lunch with that food and went back. It made me feel ill to eat all those unhealthy dishes after only two weeks of his diet, and I had no trouble going back to what we now eat.

MarkC
11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
My best advise is walk, walk, walk. I carry a pedomoter and try to get in 12,000-14,000 steps per day. I will tell you that you are not going to get them in all at once. It may be 500 at a time of 5,000-- just make sure you get them all in.

Stop (or severely limit) your soda and alcohol intake. Drink water and eat right.

Lastly, whatever you do, do not get discouraged or think you are going to lose it all in a week or a month. You should not look at this as a diet but as lifestyle change. Diets are always temporary while lifestyle changes are permanent. Best of luck.

rubato
12-11-2010, 06:02 AM
A pound of fat is the equivalent of 3500 calories. The math is pretty easy. If you want to lose 1 pound of fat per week, use 500 more calories per day than you take in (500x7=3500). Go online and find a caloric needs calculator. Figure out what your body needs in a day without exercise. Then, start counting your calories. You can either eat 500 calories less per day or burn 500 calories through exercise, or combine the 2.

I'm a math oriented person, so this really works for me. It is hard to start tracking all your calories, but you get used to it. It also holds you accountable. If you take a bite of something, you might forget about it later, but not if you've written it down.