PDA

View Full Version : Tipping when picking up take out orders?

BrerGnat
11-16-2010, 02:46 PM
So, I have been wondering for awhile now if there is a standard protocol for tipping when you place a "to go" or "takeout" order at a restaurant? We do this fairly often (maybe 1-2 times per week) and I've always tipped, but I'm wondering if I am tipping enough, too much, or right on target.

If it's a sit down restaurant, I usually tip around 15%. If it's a quick service casual restaurant (like the kind where you order at a counter), I tip about 10%. If I have a lot of special requests, or the restaurant provides curbside delivery service, I tip closer to 20%.

Am I doing okay here?

TysMomTink
11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
When I order to pick up, I tip 10 percent because if it is a server or bartender who has put your order in and bagged it, etc. they still report those sales in their tip-outs and to the IRS, and therefore have to pay money on it. So if they don't have an income for it, they are working "for free." Plus putting your food together may take them away from their tables for a couple of minutes. If it's a counter type place like a pizza place then maybe a couple of dollars in the jar or whatever they have set up.

DizneyRox
11-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Really, people tip for take out?

Is ther a difference between McDonald and Pizza, or Subway and Chinese?

To me, there's not, and there's also no tip...

Now, if I sit down and some takes my order, delivers my food and drink, etc. Then they get a tip, and I usually tip pretty well, but nothing for take out. I might throw the loose change in a jar at an ice cream joint, but that's an exception...

Delivery is an exception as well, THAT'S the service! Not making my food.

Maybe I need a tip jar on my desk at work...

Carol
11-16-2010, 05:31 PM
I might throw the loose change in a jar at an ice cream joint, but that's an exception...

Delivery is an exception as well, THAT'S the service! Not making my food.
Ditto. I do not tip for take-out. I'm not dirting up or using their plates, table etc....

I don't think someone deems a tip simply for waiting on me or for taking my order. If that were the case then I should get a tip for waiting on clients and taking phone calls at my workplace. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
11-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Maybe I should have clarified more. I'm talking take out orders from REAL restaurants, not places like fast food (McDonald's, Subway, etc.) If I order a pizza, and I pick it up, I don't tip. I tip for delivery of pizzas.

I might throw my loose change in the "tip" jar when I get ice cream, or Subway, or whatever.

I'm talking about when you pick up food from a restaurant that is PRIMARILY a sit down, full service restaurant. In this case, the same cooks and waitresses are preparing and filling the order, and when I go to sign the receipt, there is the same "tip amount" blank in the space. I just feel wrong NOT leaving a tip for a meal that costs $40-50, that still took someone time and effort to prepare and fulfill.

Maybe I'm just a sucker though...:(

princessjojo
11-16-2010, 06:34 PM
When we get take out from a "real" restaurant, I generally do not tip. I don't feel that anyone in particular did anything worthy of a tip. The cooks cooked the food, the other kitchen staff plated the food to a styrofoam box throwing in some prepackaged plastic-ware. All the while they're cooking other food at the same time and plating to real dishes other's dinner. And there is many times a runner who bags the order. The receipt is the same as what I would get if I were to dine in only because they tend to simplify the print request for the machine. The wait staff usually has nothing to do with my order so I'm not taking away from their time. I just have a problem giving someone 10% on a $50 dinner for doing nothing more than bringing a bag to my car. But hey, $5 for maybe 5 minutes worth of work isn't too shabby. Guess I just don't know of a lot of places who require wait staff to tip out to the back kitchen staff any longer. Maybe I'm wrong.

Carol
11-16-2010, 06:49 PM
I knew what you meant. My answer is the same. We order out at 'real' restaurants twice a week and the bill is typically around $60. We don't tip.

I see it as the kitchen staff doing the work -- not the wait staff. (at least where we dine.)

I actually think it's quicker money for the restaurant since I'm not using their facility and still paying full price. :twocents:

White Rose
11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I generally tip for curbside service. I had a friend who worked curbside service and I know while she got a portion of the tips that the wait staff earned that evening, she never received a lot. I don't tip a lot--maybe $2-$4 so I figure they're just walking it out to my car. But, I do as a nice gesture and to also help--in this struggling economy, people will take what they can get.

NotaGeek
11-16-2010, 08:21 PM
I don't tip for take out. I do tip for delivery service depending on if a "delivery fee" is added on to the price -- then its a sliding scale. If not I tip 10%.

In restaurants that offer regular sit-down take your order and deliver stuff meals I tip 20% unless there is something horrendous about the service.

I do not tip at Starbucks or any place that has a "tip jar" to collect coins -- those actually drive me crazy. These people aren't waiters, and you don't get a tip for taking my order at a walk up counter and handing me a coffee -- they don't work on server's wage and those tips aren't taxed, sorry, no tip.

BrerGnat
11-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Okay, well, you've all given me something to think about. I guess I've been too generous about this. DH doesn't tip when HE picks up the take out orders, so maybe I should follow suit. :blush:

Goofy4TheWorld
11-16-2010, 11:33 PM
I rarely get take-out from a sit-down place, but if I did, I would tip 10%

Why 10% you ask? That is what the sign at Waffle House says they will add to any take-out orders, so 10% it is!

JanetMegan
11-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Hmm well I guess I am more the exception then cause when I get take out (which is fairly rare-maybe once a month?) I always tip around 10% at least. I know some of our local places like Outback/Longhorn have someone who specifically handles those orders and I know they are paid around minimum wage and are expected to make some tips. I feel getting all that junk together is a lot of work. I'm always extra appreciative if someone throws in some extra chips, bread, plenty of ketchup etc.

ElenitaB
11-17-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm with Natalie and Janet on this one... I tip when I pick up food at a "real" restaurant as well, for the same reasons they explain above.

DonLefNY
11-19-2010, 04:50 PM
I'll tip if they come out to the car with my order, maybe $5. Other wise, no.

Patty
11-23-2010, 08:13 PM
as a waitress I would love to add my two cents to this thread. First of all to all of you that tip for take-out let me start by saying Thank You! You are definatly the minority but very appreciated. It is true it goes on our sales and we do have to pay out on it whether we are tipped or not. That being said I will also say there is no need to go crazy on it. It is true we are not "serving" you. We are not refilling your drinks and checkin on your every need so there is no reason to tip like you were actually sitting at our table. Also to those who say they are not tipped for answering phones so why should they tip for takeout. I know what you are saying however please remember we are only paid between 2.85 and 3.50 an hour in most states we are happy to get your food and sides together for you so you can enjoy your meal wherever you want and not have to prepare it yourself, that is our service to you :)

lynnek
11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
I bartended at a restaurant that was mainly a sitdown place. We had all the to-go orders placed through us, the bartenders, as well as had people pick up at the end of the bar. Yes, we had to take the order. Yes, we had to go check on it, if the expediter in the kitchen didn't have it out yet. Generally, did not expect a tip. Had a few "regulars" who called to order dinners to go, came in and had a drink until it was ready--either alcoholic or non. Usually left a tip then. The to-go service was part of our job, just like cleaning the bar at the end of the night. I didn't get tips during the time I was cleaning the bar, but it was part of the job. Yes, I made a lower wage because of tips, but we were really the highest paid in the establishment.

MNNHFLTX
11-23-2010, 11:09 PM
My son used to do the takeout service for an Outback restaurant near our house and they do put together the order for customers (curbside service), so a small tip is generally the norm. That said, when I order takeout from a sit-down restaurant, I agree that you don't have to go crazy on the tip--generally a couple of dollars is sufficient for most meals, more if it's a large or complicated order.