PDA

View Full Version : Recommended reading?

Disneymom201
11-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I would like to read a book on the life of Walt Disney and the development of his empire. I am also curious if any of the books tend to focus more towards the development of the theme parks, inparticular Disney World.
Thank you!

2005 - 2007 Off Property
2008 Grand Floridian
2009 Wilderness Lodge
2010 Suprise vacation for the boys to AKL
2011 ????????????

Stu29573
11-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Off the top of my head:

Walt Disney: An American Original by Bob Thomas

Walt Disney, His Life in Pictures by Diane Disney Miller

The Vault of Walt by Jim Korkis

The Story of Walt Disney by Diane Disney Miller

The last one is out of print (I think) and may be hard to find. However, Mrs. Miller has stated that Walt actually wrote it and she put her name on it, so it's worth seeking out.

DizneyRox
11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Don't forget "Married to the Mouse" and "Disney War" also give a different perspective into the goings on at the Disney Company. The first gives a good bit on how much of a business man Walt was.

caryrae
11-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I thought SINCE THE WORLD BEGAN: WALT DISNEY WORLD: THE FIRST 25 YEARS was a very good book. It is several years old but still good. I actually saw it available used on amazon for as low as 36 cents.

Description:

In celebration of Walt Disney World’s twenty-fifth anniversary, a lavish history of Walt Disney’s dreams offers the original concept drawings, photographs of the park’s construction, environmental awareness programs, and the state-of-the-art technology that helps create the magical environment. Original.

DizneyRox
11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Since the World began is mostly a picture book though,if I remember correctly. It's great, I have it (bought two so I could slice one up for the pictures).

I think there's a new version out now as well, mostly the same, but it's been updated with the past 15 years worth of additions, etc.