PDA

View Full Version : I guess I need glasses! :(

Melanie
11-13-2010, 09:42 AM
My eyesight is something I've always taken for granted, as it's been perfect my whole life. So I'm almost 41 now, and in the last six months I've noticed things up close are now blurry. Something has to be at least a foot away in order for me to read it. Waaaah - I guess it's time for a visit to the doctor.

I'm getting old! :cry:

Disney Hungarian
11-13-2010, 10:04 AM
I have the same problem. I have been blessed with 20/13 vision. But, I can no longer focus on things within arms reach. I went to the optometrist and had my eyes checked. He suggested I try reading glasses instead of writing me a prescription. I am able to read again. Yay!

disneymom15
11-13-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm in the same boat as you, only I'm almost 51.
I made it to about 49 before I noticed things looking blurry. I found a good pair of readers did the trick for me.

Melanie
11-13-2010, 10:19 AM
Glad I'm not the only one. :D

Okay then, maybe I'll just try some reading glasses. :shades:

Altair
11-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Start with 1.25 magnifacation lenses first, that usually does the trick.:thumbsup:

RockinRobin
11-13-2010, 10:30 AM
This is funny I take my glasses off to see up close I have worn glasses many years s and I find I take my glasses off more often to read or do things up close.

Carol
11-13-2010, 10:41 AM
I always had wonderful vision until I hit my 40's, Mel. I too had trouble with short arms. ;) It was fairly sudden too.

Start with 1.25 magnifacation lenses first, that usually does the trick.:thumbsup:That's what I did and still do. My vision is still wonderful when items are a few feet+ away.

caryrae
11-13-2010, 10:46 AM
I am surprised I haven't needed any glasses yet. Both parents have them and both my brother and sister do. I am 37 and don't remember ever going to an eye doctor, is that something that would be a good thing to do even if nothing is wrong?

azdisneymom
11-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm getting old! :cry:

Old is when they say the 'b' word - bifocals.

Scar
11-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm almost 41 now, ...I was "lucky" enough to make it four more years than you. I just started needing them 6 months ago but the odd thing is I don't always need them. Some days are better than others, later in the day is usually better than early.

My Brother is 2 1/2 years older than me and doesn't need them. My Uncle is 80 and has never needed them but my Father (his Brother) has needed them since 40. Go figure.

Basket Mommy
11-13-2010, 01:29 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't just get some readers. Go see an optometrist. An eye exam can find so many more things wrong with you than just your vision needs correcting.

My husband is an optometrist, and he has, through a simple eye exam and/or retinal picture, been able to (literally) save people's lives. People live with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc. and don't even know it. A good, thorough eye exam can tell you much more than you think!

Go get the eye exam. If you just need readers, then your eye doc will tell you what power to get. My husband does that all the time for people who just need reading glasses; he says, "Go to the pharmacy and get this power, because it's cheaper for you than getting a custom pair."

A basic eye exam (for glasses, not contacts) will run you around $75, if that much. My husband is the eye doc at our local Wal Mart. They do have quality docs there, despite what you might think of Wal Mart ; ) WM, Target, some Sam's and Costcos offer eye exams for less than a solo practice doc, and you can usually see a doc at a chain much more quickly than you can someone in solo or group practice. Just a suggestion.

Either way, PLEASE go see an eye doctor. An exam is recommended every 2 years from childhood through age 39. Once you turn 40, you should really be "seeing" an eye doctor every year (pardon the pun).

Daisy'sMom
11-13-2010, 03:41 PM
I would make sure that you see an opthamologist (MD of the eye), try to find one fellowship trained if you have a problem or an optometrist at least once a year so they can check your eye pressure. Glaucoma is silent but dangerous, blinding many people. I have worked for many years at an eye surgery center and have seen many people, young and old suffer from this terrible disease.:mickey:

SBETigg
11-13-2010, 04:08 PM
I went with my husband to pick out his new frames just yesterday. He started wearing glasses last year. He's 45. I was thinking that I will probably need some soon, too. I'm 42. I can see close and far, but my vision gets blurry if I read for a long time. The good news is that there are so many really cute frames out there. I found a few that I would like if I had to start wearing them. Of course, the bad news is the getting older and needing them, and the cost. Not cheap. Sorry, Melanie.

Melanie
11-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Ah well, it's alright. At least waning eyesight as I get older is better than the alternative.

Yes, I will definitely go to the doctor soon. I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to an eye doctor of any kind. It's actually never been recommended to me (but we'll keep our thoughts to ourselves regarding military medicine ;) ).

Carol
11-13-2010, 06:16 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't just get some readers. Go see an optometrist.

I did. He was the one that recommended the readers. :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
11-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Ah well, it's alright. At least waning eyesight as I get older is better than the alternative.

Yes, I will definitely go to the doctor soon. I'm embarrassed to say I've never been to an eye doctor of any kind. It's actually never been recommended to me (but we'll keep our thoughts to ourselves regarding military medicine ;) ).
Don't be too hard on military medicine. I'm sure the only reason I know anything about needing a regular eye exam is because I worked with ophthalmologists for several years. I don't recall my general physician ever making a recommendation. I have the impression most general care is that way (in or out of the military).

PAYROLL PRINCESS
11-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I am surprised I haven't needed any glasses yet. Both parents have them and both my brother and sister do. I am 37 and don't remember ever going to an eye doctor, is that something that would be a good thing to do even if nothing is wrong?

You absolutely should get an eye exam every two years. Some people need glasses and don't even realize thier vision is blurry. Not to mention all the other reasons another poster mentioned. I've had more eye problems in the past few years than in my whole life. Don't be surprised if they also want to dilate your eyes. Bring sunglasses just in case.

It's better to just go and make sure everything is ok.

Ed
11-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Professional eye exams are definitely advisable. That said....

My eyes started playing tricks on me in my late 40's (about a hundred years ago :old: ) and I got prescription glasses for several years; I only needed them for close-up work and reading.

About two years ago, I had an eye injury - sliver of metal in the eye - that required a few trips to an eye surgeon. She asked me why I bothered with expensive prescription glasses, and suggested I just buy readers at WalMart. I've been doing that ever since. Kinda nice to be able to afford new style glasses every couple of months. :cool:

And she also tipped me off on the #1 culprit in deteriorating eyesight these days - - the computer ! :badpc:

Melanie
11-13-2010, 10:37 PM
And she also tipped me off on the #1 culprit in deteriorating eyesight these days - - the computer ! :badpc:

Yeah, my hubby pointed that out to me too. :blush:

bostonsam
11-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm supposed to of gotten them when I went to my last eye appointment but have never filled the prescription:blush:I'm going to eventually

MNNHFLTX
11-14-2010, 01:05 PM
My eyesight is something I've always taken for granted, as it's been perfect my whole life. So I'm almost 41 now, and in the last six months I've noticed things up close are now blurry. Something has to be at least a foot away in order for me to read it. Waaaah - I guess it's time for a visit to the doctor.

I'm getting old! :cry:Welcome to the 40's, Mel! I think I remember telling you that I thought it was grossly unfair after wearing contacts lenses (for near-sightedness) for decades to avoid glasses, that I ended up needing reading glasses too!

Definitely get an eye exam and if all is well just go the reading glasses route--and the cheaper the better. That way when you lose a pair (which inevitably will happen) it won't be a big deal.

Ed
11-14-2010, 09:48 PM
That way when you lose a pair (which inevitably will happen) it won't be a big deal.

:ditto:

I don't usually lose them, I just leave them somewhere where I'm not! For example, I get to work and realize I left them on my dresser. So, I've presently got three pairs; one in my pocket, one in my truck, and one in my work briefcase. :cool:

princessgirls
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I hear you Melanie!! Thankfully they do make fashionable glasses these days!

It gets rough being in your 40's!!!

Julie:mickey:

caryrae
05-20-2011, 02:20 PM
You absolutely should get an eye exam every two years. Some people need glasses and don't even realize thier vision is blurry. Not to mention all the other reasons another poster mentioned. I've had more eye problems in the past few years than in my whole life. Don't be surprised if they also want to dilate your eyes. Bring sunglasses just in case.

It's better to just go and make sure everything is ok.

Took a while but finally made a trip to the eye doctor because I my eyes were getting itchy and keep getting this white mucousy stuff in my eye all day long. To me it sounded like dry eye, after some research, which is what the Dr. said and also some type of allergy I guess. Otherwise he said I have very healthy eyes and left eye is 20/20 and right eye is 20/25. I tell you it is very strange when they put the drops in my eyes to dilate them and everything starts to get a little blurry and bright and I couldn't even focus on anything especially up close (better now). So I could get glasses but Dr. said since one eye is 20/20 and one 20/25 is unnecessary since it is close to perfect.

brivers222
05-20-2011, 04:42 PM
trying to convince my fiance to go get her eyes checked.. she doesn't have insurance but the more i look at it, eye docs don't seem to be too outrageous. Especially at Costco or Sams.

I was going to wait until November when we are married to get her in under my insurance but that isn't looking like a good idea "seeing" how its 5 months away.

micky95
05-22-2011, 07:30 AM
i started wearing glasses at 24 for nearsightedness.i was a truckdriver and was having headaches constantly .went to an eye doctor found out i had 20/50 & 20/70 vision.got my glasses and for the next 24 years my prescription never changed.on my 2 year exam my doctor said i would need bi focals(yes the b word)i got the no line type.BIG mistake.my headaches came back along with a few other irritating side effects. i found out some people cant wear those .i purchased the lined bifocals and everything is fine.i discovered that sometimes i can see better looking over the top of my glasses than through them (like right now writing this).the top part is for driving & seeing in the distant while the lower part is for reading.my eye doctor also discovered i have a floater in my left eye.that is a piece of the lining has come off & floats around.occasionally it gets in front and i see a small black dot.annoying but not harmful, blink a few times & its gone.eye exams are cheap & quick and can reveal a lot of other problems you might have .

magicalmom
05-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Money saving tip - if your opthamologist writes you a prescription for readers which differs from one eye to the other, hit your drug or discount store, and buy two identical pairs - one pair in each strength. Then you swap out one of the lenses, or have an optometrist do it for you. The extra frame, and the lenses you don't need, can be donated to your local Lions Club. I told my eye doc I was doing this, and he first laughed, and then looked thoughtful, and then said "OK, why not?"

This tip has allowed me to make multiple pairs of glasses, one for reading, one for computer, one for piano and conducting, and one sort of in the middle for when I inevitable misplace one of the others. All for less than the price of one pair of prescription readers!

Mickey'sGirl
06-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Every two years for an eye exam. Up here that runs you about $80 per visit, but all kinds of diseases are screened each time. Our children have been tested since they were about 3 on an annual basis, I go every other year, and my husband FINALLY went for his first eye check up about a month ago (at age 43).

Like a previous poster said, I have worn glasses for years, but now find that I take them off to see things up close. My optometrist assures me that it's just what happens after 40 .... :cool:

Have fun buying your specs, Mel! There are so many nice frames out there these days! I love getting new glasses!

Melanie
06-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Have fun buying your specs, Mel! There are so many nice frames out there these days! I love getting new glasses!

I'm embarrassed to say that I started this thread in November and have yet to get an eye exam. It's been a crazy past 6 months. I really need to get on this. :blush:

CanadianWDWFan
06-02-2011, 08:31 PM
and my husband FINALLY went for his first eye check up about a month ago (at age 43).
And I got a SMOKIN' pair of Oakley sunglasses to boot! I should have got my eyes tested years ago just to get my sunglasses.:D

CanadianWDWFan
06-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm embarrassed to say that I started this thread in November and have yet to get an eye exam. It's been a crazy past 6 months. I really need to get on this. :blush:
You at least aren't as bad as I am. I waited 20 plus years to go.:blush:

GrumpyFan
06-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm in my mid-40s, and my eyes have been going for about a year now. I know I need to go to the Dr, but just cant bring myself to it. I've been blessed with better than 20/20 for all my life, and the thought of having to wear glasses or contacts now, just bugs me. Of course, it doesn't help that I sit in front of two computer screens all day long, and then stare at my iPod touch screen at night. Need to give them a rest I'm sure.