PDA

View Full Version : Gym Memberships--A Rant

White Rose
11-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Okay. I'm a little bit Pooh-sized and I was diagnosed about three years ago with a condition known as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Basically, my eggs turn to cysts and it can lead to a lot of things like infertility, diabetes, heart disease, etc. I kind of ignored it for a long time and had a hard time dealing with the true reality of the condition. Part of the condition is being overweight and I carry most of my weight right in the middle.

Cue three years later and I've decided I really can't ignore it anymore. I found a much better endocrinologist to see and I'm also working on slowly changing my lifestyle. It's tough, but I'm trying.

One of things I really need to do is exercise. I'm not one for physical activity and I admit this wholeheartedly. We don't have the space in our home for workout equipment and I'm not a jogger/runner. So, the natural conclusion is to join a gym. I want something close to home, somewhat affordable and with plenty to do, as I get bored easily. I live very close to a Big Vanilla Athletic club, which seems to be a nice facility.

Knowing this, I called them a few weeks ago in an attempt to discern what their monthly rates are. The receptionist then transfers me to a "Lifestyle Consultant," who then insists that she cannot give me pricing over the phone and that she prefer I tour the facility and we discuss my options. Begrudgingly, I make an appointment to see her. However, this was around the time I was planning my parents' anniversary party and planning got in the way and I canceled the appointment. She then called me THREE times to reschedule, all the while saying she still couldn't give me rates over the phone!

I decided to try them one more time, just asking the receptionist to please just give me an idea of their rates, but she also insisted on transferring me to a "Lifestyle Consultant" stating she wasn't aware of the rates. I was so angry/frustrated I hung up the phone and decided I would give our local Golds' Gym a call. They're also not far, and I had been a member one point when I was out of school for the summer. Upon calling THERE, the guy won't give me the rates and says they prefer potential members come in to tour and then be given the different package options.

At this point, I'm just so frustrated I don't know what to do! I work two jobs, so my time is a little limited and the time I have allotted, I just want to go the gym and get out. I just feel like I shouldn't have to come ALLLL the way down to the facility just to hear the gym rates! :mad: Furthermore, I'm just not an assertive person and I have a hard time sometimes standing up to pushy salesmen. I'm afraid I'd go in there and feel completely obligated to buy! I'm also somewhat nervous about if I were to go in to one of these "appointments" they would immediately notice I am Pooh-sized and try to sell me personal trainers, etc. I'm self-conscious enough as it is about going to a gym, you know?

Am I being completely unreasonable in refusing to step foot in these places to hear the rates? And also, does anyone know of any good gyms in the Glen Burnie/Pasadena, MD? :blush:

Disney Hungarian
11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
HI Rose,
I must say, I did not know what I was getting into when I decided to do a search for membership rates. That is insane. But I did find this for you:

Club One Fitness in Severna Park, located literally less than a minute from the intersection of I-97 and Benfield Road at the intersection of Millersville, Severna Park, and Glen Burnie, offers a high-end, full-service, state-of-the-art health club in a friendly, welcoming environment at the most affordable price in the area. Starting August 1st, we will be reducing our monthly membership fee to $18 a month with no contract or commitment! No one else can beat our price or, just as importanly, our committment to a new!

Hope that helps:mickey:

NewDVCowner
11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
No, you're not out of line to be upset about this. Frankly my feeling is that any time a business won't tell you their rates up front it's a scam. They want to get you in for a hard sell (as you're clearly getting already). Perhaps look into some of the smaller franchise options like Curves or along those lines. Or try again and flatly tell them that you're not going to take time out of your day to come down and tour the facility until you know what the cost will be. I probably won't help be hey, maybe they'll ease up a bit and will at least give you prices. I know a lot of them try to offer 'package deals.' If you purchase two years it will only be this. Have a friend, join together and you'll save this much. That sort of thing.

Good luck!

SteveL
11-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Take a look at Planet Fitness in Glen Burnie.
PF is usually $10/month with no contracts.

BrerGnat
11-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Do you have 24hr fitness near you?

If so, through Costco you can get a 2 YEAR membership good at any 24 hr fitness locations (excluding " Super Sport and Ultra Sport") clubs, for only $299.99! This breaks down to like $12/month. It is an incredible deal. Worth joining Costco for if you are not already a member.

You don't have to sign any contracts. It's just a strict 2 years of access. This is what I'd recommend. It's essentially a prepaid membership. When you go to activate the certificate, they are not allowed to upsell you except to offer you personal training sessions (which you politely decline, and they will go on and process your membership and issue you a card). It's a painless process, and ideal for someone who is just looking for a nice gym (or several) to work out at. The best part is the flexibility to use the membership nationwide, so if/when you travel or are visiting friends, you can still workout if there is a 24hr fitness near where you are!

If you want more info, just go to Costco dot com:

Click on "Entertainment"

Click on "Tickets and Gift Certificates"

You will see the 24 hr fitness option, click on that and it will take you to the info page, and you can order this online or at your local warehouse.

Tick-Tock
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
We are quite happy with our municipal recreation facility. Reasonable rates and they have auxiliary services like personal trainers as well. You may want to look into whether your city or county recreation facilities have workout centers.

faline
11-09-2010, 05:49 PM
A couple of things. I'm not sure where you live but if you can get out in walk, do that. If you have to go to the mall a few times per week just to walk, do that. You'll be surprised what simple walking can do for you.

If folks won't tell me what something costs, I'm not interested in having a "personal" visit to find out what it is. Reminds me of the last time we bought a car. Some of the lines included "So what do you want to pay?" or "can afford to pay?" Don't ask me that - tell me what the price of the car is. Or "Good news - this car will only cost you x$ per month!" Okay, so what is the interest rate "Uh...oh, I don't know that - the financial people take care of that" Now, I'm not going to buy a car unless/until you tell me what the interest rate is. I'm sure those clubs are going to provide a "hard sell" and if you're not up to that - don't go!

Do you have a Y in the area - preferably one with a swimming pool? Swimming is also great exercise.

Many clubs such as those mentioned are now offering memberships with no commitment so if you decide it doesn't work for you, you can simply drop out.

Did you ever see the Friends episode where Chandler is paying for a fitness club membership he never uses but they won't cancel it unless it personally comes in and then they always talk him into keeping his membership and continuing to pay for it? You certainly don't want money going into something that you're not using.

Best of luck to you!

JanetMegan
11-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Did you ever see the Friends episode where Chandler is paying for a fitness club membership he never uses but they won't cancel it unless it personally comes in and then they always talk him into keeping his membership and continuing to pay for it? You certainly don't want money going into something that you're not using.

"I want to quit the gym, repeat..."

Ok sorry I'm dying over here but feel your pain! I joined a gym last year and then they closed and "automatically" transferred my membership to another gym that did not have a pool (I was using it for water aerobics only.) Anyways after almost a legal battle I was able to get out of it but now am sticking to my local parks and rec department as well as walking (which I do admit is getting harder with the cooler weather.) I too am a bit pooh-sized right now and working hard at it, but I totally sympathize.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Do you have a Y in the area - preferably one with a swimming pool? Swimming is also great exercise.

:thumbsup: We love our local Y. They have great programs for all types (including us who look like Pooh), and a great pool.

It might not be a bad idea to try a Y, or local municpal Parks & Rec, who often have drop-in programs, so you can see what you like.

DizneyRox
11-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I dont think I've ever met anyone that's had a good experience with a gym. It's always some slimey tactic, to join, or to leave, etc. Interesting that I see these no committment contracts, but I'm sorry, I still think there's a catch.

I know at Gold's I needed to provide them with a certified letter of my desires to quit. The first normal letter was mysteriously lost, so they continued to charge my card, even though the card had lapsed (expiration date). I presume they just kept trying mm/yy combos until it went back though. SCUM!

Never again...

BrerGnat
11-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I dont think I've ever met anyone that's had a good experience with a gym. It's always some slimey tactic, to join, or to leave, etc. Interesting that I see these no committment contracts, but I'm sorry, I still think there's a catch.

I know at Gold's I needed to provide them with a certified letter of my desires to quit. The first normal letter was mysteriously lost, so they continued to charge my card, even though the card had lapsed (expiration date). I presume they just kept trying mm/yy combos until it went back though. SCUM!

Never again...

There is really no catch with the Costco/24hr thing. All you need to activate the membership is a valid ID card. NO credit card. You are simply given a membership card that expires two years from the date you activate it. It's really not a scam!

Tinkerfreak
11-10-2010, 06:22 AM

Never again...

I also had a bad experience with a gym that kept forgetting to end my membership and stop deducting the fee from my account. I ended up threatening to get the better business bureau involved and they kindly refunded me for the 2 months it took to get them to cancel.
I won't do anything that requires me to deduct from my checking account or credit card. The gym I go to now I write them a check every month for the $15 and that is it. No contract, when I want to stop going I just stop paying. They even let me skip a month when I knew I was not going to be able to go.

magicofdisney
11-10-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't have a lot of time to go to a gym either, so I'm using workout videos. I went with P90X and the needed equipment is minimal; a few weights, a mat, yoga block and bands. It all fits in a tote bag. I love having this option. It saves SO much time doing everything at home. And I can do it exactly when it's convenient for me.

I considered a gym membership before I decided on the videos. I was researching a company called Anytime Fitness. I read horrible reviews for the company. From what I gather, this gym fitness scenario can be tricky to deal with so I encourage you to continue your research. At least you've been able to stand up to your local company and not let them force you into a visit.

Good luck with all.

dnickels
11-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I know someone else mentioned it above, but you don't necessarily need a gym or to run or jog. Two years ago my brother weighed about 300 lbs and he's down to around 170 now. No running, no jogging, no gym membership. He just started walking and eating less.

Even if you find a gym that's 5 minutes away, by the time you drive 5 minutes each way, spend a few minutes getting ready and a few minutes packing up you're at 15 minutes you could have used to just get out and walk around the neighborhood. 15 minutes a day of walking everyday all year long goes a loooooooonnnnnnnnggggg way towards losing weight. Plus it's free. :thumbsup:

EDIT- to add that I mean the 15 minute thing as 15 minutes of EXTRA exercise/walking that you can gain everyday by putting on the shoes and walking out the front door rather than driving to a gym.

MNNHFLTX
11-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I second (or third, I guess) the motion to check out your local YMCA (if there is one in your area). We love our Y (4th largest one in the country) and joining was totally simple--no games. The facilities are state of the art and the rates reasonable, and you can pay month-to-month, instead of paying up front for a year-long contract.

buzznwoodysmom
11-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I started getting more active this year as well. I didn't want to join a gym so I am doing everything from home. I live in a neighborhood so walking/jogging is an easy exercise that's totally free. And when its too cold, or raining out I found a way to walk anyway, without any equipment. I'm sure this isn't an option for everyone, but my kitchen, breakfast room, dining room, foyer and kitchen all open to one another and form a big circle. I will put on some music and walk that circle if I can't walk outside. Like I said it isn't an option for everyone, but I believe if you truly want to do it you find a way, rain or shine. I also got a kettle ball, $40 max, and it came with an instruction DVD and I also found more workouts online. I first saw the kettle ball, also called kettle bell, in an army workout magazine my husband gets. The exercises looked easy, and the article was written by an army wife so I decided to give it a try. We also have workout DVDs, that I do from time to time if I don't feel like walking, we have P90, P90X, and I have Dancing with the Stars, which is much funner than any other video I have. And I do have one piece of equipment, a stationary bike, but its a really small compact one, nothing fancy. My husband also has a bike he uses to do races and we have it set up in a trainer in our garage that I could have also used if I didn't have the stationary bike. I want to say he paid under $100 for this trainer and you can fit several different bikes in it. My husband has a workout building in our back yard, with wieght machines, but I never use them. He's in Iraq right now and I plan to join him back there when he returns, but I just wanted to point out that if you are motivated enough it doesn't take a gym membership, or even a lot of equipment to get active at home. Also we try to ride bikes as a family every afternoon, or at least 3 times a week. Not only is it fun family time, its great exercise for all of us. Also playing Wii sports boxing with my kids is a great arm workout, and getting outside playing sports with my kids helps out too. My youngest loves football and going out for a half hour or so throwing the ball to him and running to catch the balls he throws is a great form of exercise without even trying. Good luck to you.

Dulcee
11-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Oof I agree on the frustration with the gym memberships.

I'm not a huge fan of gyms in general. While I'm pretty averaged sized I still don't like working out while other people are around.

Try walking! You'd be amazed how big of a difference a few miles of walking a day can do. And if you need motivation to get out there a larger sized friend of mine teamed up with her local animal shelter. She goes once a day and picks up a dog to take with her while she walks. It makes it less like exercise and its a way to give back to the community. And the dogs are so excited to be out of a crate for a while that you can't help but share their enthusiasm. She has lost quite a bit of weight since she started.

Another great option for walking in colder climates is hitting your local mall. Most open early and you can use it as an indoor track.

Most important don't let your anger with gyms change your new outlook on getting healthy! All you really need are your own two feet :) Best of luck!

BrerGnat
11-10-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't have a gym membership either.

But, I DO have a flight of stairs. I often will put on my ipod and just walk up and down them for about 30-45 min. It's a great workout, and actually better than the "stairmaster" machines at the gym.

I walk and also run. Lately, though, I've been walking more because of knee injuries.

I have to tell you, if you are looking to LOSE weight, diet is the primary thing. Once you have lost the weight, exercise will help you maintain it. I think walking (if you live in a safe neighborhood) is the best way to incorporate exercise during the weight loss phase, since you will be restricting calories and eating healthier. The thing is, lots of times, people cut their calories TOO MUCH and then try to exercise on top of that, and your body will react by being MORE hungry, and so you eat more, and then the weight loss part is harder, etc. So, doing some more moderate exercise such as walking will help keep your appetite less ravenous.

brivers222
11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
you think finding the rates and joining are hard..... wait till you wanna quit!

As made popular in seinfeld, you can't quit the gym!

I tried to quit 4 times.... they wouldn't let and kept making me go through all these hoops to get out their month to month contract.... made me talk to all these as you call them "lifestyle consultants". Finally I found the end all quit on accident... my credit card on file expired and i forgot to update my account... after 3 months of non-payment they cancelled me.

then i went back a month later and signed up under my fiancees account (at her local branch of the same gym)... even got my rate reduced $19 a month for being an add-on!!!

I pay $10 a month, she pays $12 Fitness19 is our place in michigan, not sure if they are national or not.

MNNHFLTX
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
you think finding the rates and joining are hard..... wait till you wanna quit!

As made popular in seinfeld, you can't quit the gym!

I tried to quit 4 times.... they wouldn't let and kept making me go through all these hoops to get out their month to month contract.... made me talk to all these as you call them "lifestyle consultants". Finally I found the end all quit on accident... my credit card on file expired and i forgot to update my account... after 3 months of non-payment they cancelled me.

then i went back a month later and signed up under my fiancees account (at her local branch of the same gym)... even got my rate reduced $19 a month for being an add-on!!!

I pay $10 a month, she pays $12 Fitness19 is our place in michigan, not sure if they are national or not.

:confused:Just curious--why would you want to re-sign at the same gym (albeit a different branch)? I know you got a reduced rate, but if it were me I would be worried that they were going to put me through the same nonsense when I wanted to quit.

tundramom
11-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Never again...
I would suggest checking out your local Y or Wellness facility affiliated with your local hospital or better yet Therapy facility. Our facility is $20/month unlimited use of equipment and 91 degree therapy pool, no contract, and offers a "hold" feature that allows you to take off up to 12 months (no monthly) and resume as if you've never left (assuming no major health changes, and then you just need a Dr.'s clearance). This feature is especially attractive to our "snow birds". As a private practice PT clinic, we are not open to the general public, we require you to either : be a former PT patient, be a relative of a former patient, or have a referral from a local Dr.. Our Wellness staff all have degrees in the health and Wellness fields and offer free advice to any member, they also offer personal training -of course for a fee.This is pretty common in the PT world. Just remember, to lose weight you have to get some aerobic component in your workout, lifting weights alone or pool (unless lap swimming) alone will not help you drop pounds, definitely helps tone, or work on flexibility though. Good luck!:thumbsup:

diz_girl
11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Furthermore, I'm just not an assertive person and I have a hard time sometimes standing up to pushy salesmen. I'm afraid I'd go in there and feel completely obligated to buy!

Which is exactly why they won't give you rates over the phone, so you will feel obligated to buy, if you go in there. So don't go anywhere near these places.

I've tried the gym thing once. No pressure and no hasles gettting out of the contract, they just needed a letter. I don't think that I'll do a gymcontract again, since there are now so many non-contract places out there. Several of the the pp gave you some good suggestions. Good luck.

LittleD
11-15-2010, 12:18 PM
As a personal trainer, I want you to consider a club that offers personal training. PCOS requires special concerns and exercises. Please be careful to some one that will help you because of PCOS.

brivers222
11-20-2010, 12:08 AM

:confused:Just curious--why would you want to re-sign at the same gym (albeit a different branch)? I know you got a reduced rate, but if it were me I would be worried that they were going to put me through the same nonsense when I wanted to quit.

Oh because i was moving and it was way out of my way. not to mention i didn't like the workers there (or the clientele). But they wouldnt let me transfer to the one closer to my house (a difference of 50miles round trip). Being a member of the one closer gives me better hours and access to lockers and other items that you get. I can have access to the other gyms by them but i don't have access to the lockers and the other things. I like to go early in the morning or late at night, just visiting only allows you for late morning and early evening.

magicofdisney
11-20-2010, 09:18 AM
As a personal trainer, I want you to consider a club that offers personal training. PCOS requires special concerns and exercises. Please be careful to some one that will help you because of PCOS.

I've never heard of special exercises for PCOS. What specific concerns are there?

BrerGnat
11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
I've never heard of special exercises for PCOS. What specific concerns are there?

It's because PCOS tends to make it very difficult to lose weight, so you have to modify your exercise regime to be more intense if you want to see results. In addition, there are nutritional issues with PCOS as well...

Cinderelley
11-26-2010, 07:10 AM
I go to Bally's. I love them. No high pressure sales or anything. But, like you, many days are very time constrained. I subscribe to Fitness magazine and they always have easy at home work outs that don't take a lot. I have one exercise ball (6 lbs) and the elastic bands. That's it. I can't say that I am Pooh-sized, but my friend who is 300+ lbs also started using the workouts in Fitness Magazine. She loves it, because she is too shy to go to a gym.