PDA

View Full Version : Tables in Wonderland vs. Disney Dining Plan

wdwgirl21
11-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Has anyone sat down and run some calculations to see if it is better to purchase the Tables in Wonderland card versus buying the Disney Dining Plan? We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 kids, ages 2 and 5, and we have AP's, and plan on making at lease two more trips (about 5-8 days each). So assuming you ate like you would on the regular dining plan, I am wondering if it is better for us to purchase the TIW card, or add on the dining plan when we go. Is there a calculator for this somewhere?

Thanks!

KAT1811
11-09-2010, 04:16 PM
We bought the TIW card last year and loved it! The TIW card allowed us to order whatever we wanted, appetizers, drinks, wine, etc. and still get a discount. We are not big dessert fans but enjoy appetizers and enjoy a bottle of wine with dinner or a drink. The TIW card offered us the flexibility we like to have when dining.

DizneyRox
11-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I ran the number for our last trip (after the fact though).

TiW was the best deal, followed by OOP, and the the DDP. They were all fairly close ( this $300 difference between the TiW and the DDP, but for two people, that's kindof a lot.

We ate the way we wanted, so it might not be a very good comparison. If having the DDP would force you to forgo things you would normally do, then maybe it's possible to save. However I look at it, that we would have then had to pay OOP for those things not covered on the plan.

I will say though, regardless of which way you eat, I would plan on food being one of the largest expendatures on a Disney trip. I coudln't believe the amount it cost for twoish people for close to a couple of weeks.

kakn7294
11-09-2010, 06:04 PM
TIW is the better option for my family because I have a 10 yo who sometimes eats adult meals and sometimes orders from the kids menu. I would have to pay adult prices for DDP. With TIW, it doesn't matter what she orders, it's discounted appropriately. Plus, we don't always want the dessert, especially with the CS meals, and sometimes we like to have an appetizer with the TS meals. And in the summer, which is when we go, there is an additional $5 per day added on to the price of the DDP, making it even less of a value and more of a break even prospect.

faline
11-09-2010, 06:45 PM
We don't have young children so the calculations I did might not work for you. Still, on a trip last spring, I tracked our expenses (including room cost) versus what the trip would have cost with free dining. With the Tables in Wonderland card, we came out ahead and were glad we had it!

Guinness
11-16-2010, 10:17 PM
It matters even more if you enjoy a cocktail with your meal. TiW wil get you a discount there too. We find that it is a big difference for us, mostly because we tend to want to eat at places that would be inconvenient or not possible due to the limited number of credits on the DDP, but if you were going to eat exactly as the plan would be, it would probably be close.

Dream'nDisney
11-28-2010, 10:45 AM
We are considering the TiW option instead of the "Free Dining" package. Do you find many limitations on who participates with TiW?

Melanie
11-28-2010, 11:16 AM
We are considering the TiW option instead of the "Free Dining" package. Do you find many limitations on who participates with TiW?

Here is the 2010 list (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dde.asp) of participating restaurants.

I saw your calculations in the other thread, and since it's essentially break even, I would strongly consider getting the Tables in Wonderland and using the room-only discount. Even with just 35% off, you may still come out ahead with TiW.

We love our card!

Dream'nDisney
12-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Here is the 2010 list (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dde.asp) of participating restaurants.

I saw your calculations in the other thread, and since it's essentially break even, I would strongly consider getting the Tables in Wonderland and using the room-only discount. Even with just 35% off, you may still come out ahead with TiW.

We love our card!

It would be cheaper even though I have to pay quite a bit more for an AP than a 6-day MYW pass, plus the $75.00 TiW fee???? Just checking.

faline
12-02-2010, 07:03 PM
It would be cheaper even though I have to pay quite a bit more for an AP than a 6-day MYW pass, plus the $75.00 TiW fee???? Just checking.

I think you have two different equations here. One is whether or not your annual pass is a good deal. I bought an annual pass in May of 2009. I plan on having a total of 4 trips under this annual pass - definitely worth having an annual pass in this situation.

The second part of the equation is the Tables in Wonderland discount. Again, I plan on using this for 4 trips so, for me, certainly a better deal for me given my particular circumstances.

By the way, for our trip (party of 2) last May, we stayed with a room only discount, bought our annual passes, and our Tables in Wonderland card. For that trip, I compared our costs against free dining for the trip and came out ahead (given our style of eating).

If you only have one trip planned within a one year timeframe, you may come out with very different results.

Dream'nDisney
12-03-2010, 11:51 PM
I think you have two different equations here. One is whether or not your annual pass is a good deal.

By the way, for our trip (party of 2) last May, we stayed with a room only discount, bought our annual passes, and our Tables in Wonderland card. For that trip, I compared our costs against free dining for the trip and came out ahead (given our style of eating).

If you only have one trip planned within a one year timeframe, you may come out with very different results.

I can see where having multiple trips would make is obvious to get an AP. I "might" be going again, but it is not definite.

There are just so many factors to consider, that it is hard to get a black and white answer on this.

jonahbear2006
12-04-2010, 01:59 AM
so glad I saw this thread! I ran the numbers and the tables in wonderland are better ! I prefer this idea. Especially since my kids hate the kids meals in disney. they are so bored of them. This is absolutely true what was said. TiW is the best deal, followed by oop, and then ddp. Wow! How is the ddp saving you 40% I wonder. that is what they advertise. My question is, was there a price increase on meal costs whenever the price of ddp went up? I added $1-2 per meal when I ran numbers to compare to the price of ddp bc I assumed prices went up and it was still better to do TiW. I did a spreadsheet on ddp, oop, TiW and it seems the best way to go is two table services a day, no counter services. This gives you the most flexibility with TiW card and allows you to use it for EVERY meal! You also are allowing yourself to try maybe a few places that you wouldnt normally choose bc your "favorites" are always a must-do. This will allow my kids to eat off the appetizer menu if they want or if they arent hungry when we eat then they can just get a dessert. It is horrible to prepay for a 4 year old's meal or 10 year old and then they say they arent hungry at that time. I dont want to pre-pay for meals anymore. It is just too hard, not to mention that I dont want the desserts and snacks everyday. Everytime I get ddp, I gain about 9lbs on my trip and I cannot afford to do that anymore. I would rather order a salad and an entree. Thanks for posting this. I had totally forgotten about this card option. We better get our passholder now and get our app. processed.

Dream'nDisney
12-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I posted a note in another thread how it brokedown to be about 40% off. Our kids are considered "adults," so if you take that there are four adults in our room and multiply it out, we are saving quite a bit (IF) room only discounts don't come out for when we are going. I have never done the DDP, so I am really leary about the lack of flexibility and spontaneity. Dining shouldn't be stressful; it should be enjoyable. We did TiW (but it was called the Disney Dining Card back then) before, but that was when room only discounts rarely came out, and the only way to get a room discount was to get an AP. So, I would buy one AP just to get the room only discount and buy the TiW. Can anyone buy TiW? or do you have to still buy an AP?

KylesMom
12-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Can anyone buy TiW? or do you have to still buy an AP? At least one member of your party needs to have an A/P (or be a FL resident) to purchase the TiW discount card. It is good for up to ten people per dining ADR.

We've been members of TiW, and previously the DDE (Disney Dining Experience) for years and avidly promote it. You aren't tied to purchasing items you usually wouldn't, it's good for both food and adult beverages at participating restaurants, and if you need to drop an ADR due to family illness or sheer "worn-outedness" and can't get to your ADR, you aren't losing a credit, or have to figure out where else you're going to use it.

As a note, they do tack on an automatic 18% gratuity at all TS meals. With an exception of a server or two over our many, many experiences, it's a good deal. Typically we tip anywhere from 18-20%, so it's like you're getting your gratuity for "free" plus 2% off the meal.

Over two trips (15 days each), we typically save over $500 from one TiW card - no small change. This is based off standard TS& CS meals where applicable - no signature dining is included in the savings amount mentioned above. :mickey:

faline
12-04-2010, 04:40 PM
......You aren't tied to purchasing items you usually wouldn't, it's good for both food and adult beverages at participating restaurants, and if you need to drop an ADR due to family illness or sheer "worn-outedness" and can't get to your ADR, you aren't losing a credit, or have to figure out where else you're going to use it.

As a note, they do tack on an automatic 18% gratuity at all TS meals. With an exception of a server or two over our many, many experiences, it's a good deal. Typically we tip anywhere from 18-20%, so it's like you're getting your gratuity for "free" plus 2% off the meal......

I totally agree!

Dream'nDisney
12-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Before, when we used TiW (or DDE), we stayed 10 nights, but this time, we are only stay 6 nights. I don't see where paying for for an AP plus the $75 is going to save us more than 4 adults getting free dining. Am I right? I do understand the issue of making sure you get to your TS reservation, or else, with the with the DDP, but we will just have to deal with that in order to save $$. I am not excited about the non-flexibility, but I am excited about saving $$.