PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions

dtootsie42
11-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Which resort is better Port Orleans-French Quarter or Port Orleans-Riverside? Thanks!

ibrowse17
11-07-2010, 11:34 PM
We have stayed at both, and enjoyed each of them. POFQ is much smaller, and easier to get around in. We loved the theme, and liked to walk the "streets" at night. POR is larger, and divided into two sections. While it was nice, we had to walk much more than we wanted just to get around. If we had to pick between the two in the future, we would pick POFQ. Enjoy:thumbsup:

Goofeygal
11-08-2010, 01:33 AM
We also have stayed at both and love the FQ.

Gregandmel
11-08-2010, 07:34 AM
It really depends on what you are looking for. We stayed at POFQ and loved the small size of the resort - very easy to get to everything. We took the boat launch over to POR and it was very beautiful!!!! Ate lunch there and also used their pool a couple of times. It was simply too large for us - we loved visiting there (visited 2 or 3 times actually) but it was just too large for us - but very very very nice!!!!

Darbylew
11-08-2010, 09:44 AM
We love POFQ and stay there every time we
go to WDW. It is the best choice for us. I like
the food court at POR as they do offer more of
a choice. Their gift shop is bigger but still love
POFQ. The choice is yours and whatever you
choose you will have a magical time at WDW.
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MARCH 2011. :D:mickey:

Disney Hungarian
11-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I decided to stay at POFQ after a quick search on Intercot. It seemed from other discussions that POFQ was better suited to adults traveling without kids. POR seemed better for traveling with children.

JabberJaws
11-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I've never stayed at PORS, but have stayed at FQ more than once. I think that POFQ is a bit more "intimate" and quiet, and PORS is a bit larger, more spread out and more geared towards families and large groups.

I personally like the theming of POFQ better the RS and really dig the fact that it is quieter and smaller, but it all depends on what you're looking for.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
11-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Port Orleans Riverside offers more amenities. While you can easily walk to/from POR to POFQ, it is still nice having a sit down restaraunt (Boatwrights), a larger food court, bigger gift shop, bigger and more pools, and more things like boat rentals etc.

I've never quite understood the complaint that POR is "too big". We've stayed at both, in fact POFQ was the first Disney Property we ever stayed on, so it has a sentimental soft spot for us. That said, I like the lazy feel of POR especially the AB section. The walks can be quiet and quite calming and relaxing. It's beautifully themed and nighttime walks are very nice with how everything is lit up.

You can't go wrong with either one so it's win/win. I would agree that POR is probably a bigger choice of those with families, in part because it's the only moderate that can accomdate a family of 5. The food court is probably a little busier than at POFQ but as I mentioned, the amenties are better.

I wouldn't let the size scare you off of POR. Good luck with your choice.

Gator
11-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I think Riverside is best and worst. The mansions are well themed inside and out, but the Alligator Bayou is ugly inside and out. I'd have to go with FQ, but that's because I like the look of Jackson Square in NO,LA.

MinniesMom
11-08-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm a bit confused by the comments about POFQ being better suited for adults. Unless you're referring to adults who might have trouble walking. I've been to both and would say the exact opposite. Although many families may choose POR because rooms in the AB section (a small portion of the resort) can sleep 5. Overall POFQ is VERY attractive to families especially those with young children for a number of reasons including the size, central location of the pool/playground, theme (the big dragon slide), etc... I always recommend POFQ to friends with kids. In fact, I've been there several times where kids were running around the courtyards, the pool was full of screaming children and the food court was a zoo! I actually found POR to be quieter because it's more spread out. In fact we'll be returning to POFQ for part of our stay at the end of this month with a large group and a bunch of children! I guess it all comes down to how you perceive things and who's doing the perceiving, LOL.

HoosierDisneyFan
11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
We prefer POFQ because of the small resort size which is great for a short walk from the bus after a long day at the parks. Also the buses generally picked up from POFQ first (you can get a seat!) and dropped off first (back to the room quicker) when the bus is shared with POR.

POR may be you best choice IF you are looking for resort perks like a larger pool, larger gift shot, larger arcade, etc.

The resort are a short 10 min walk between the two and you can share the services of both.

Both are a great choice...

Checkers
11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
:mickey:We have stayed at both and FQ is our favorite moderate. RS is also very nice but as mentioned earlier, we just prefer the smaller resort.

rubato
11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
I am looking forward to my first stay at POFQ in January. I don't tend to eat at the resort, so I don't care that there is no TS restaurant. I can go to POR for that anyway. I like the fact that I get the small, quieter resort, but can go use all of the "bigger" resorts amenities. And, I want to be on and off the bus first! :thumbsup:

dtootsie42
11-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for everybodys thoughts. We usually stay at the Poly but the next trip will be just hubby and I...our three daughters are all going different directions now that they are ages 22, 21 and 19. Hubby and I thought it would be nice to get a less expensive room and try something totally different. Time to make memories with just the two of us :)

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
Dec. 1999--Poly
June 2000--Disneyland
Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge
Nov. 2010 Disneyland---Disneyland Hotel

Tinkerbella16
11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I have stayed at both POFQ & POR. Stayed at Riverside first in 2007 and FQ in 2008. I loved POR but when we went to FQ I fell in love with that place so much more. The resort is smaller and much quieter. We felt like no one was really there our entire stay. We never had issues sharing busses with POR the whole week. The foodcourt was less crowded, granted we always go during a slow week before thanksgiving. No matter what room/building you are in, you're close to everything... main building, boat dock for DTD, busses. I liked the atmosphere at French Quarter so much better. Can't wait to stay there again! :mickey:

Aurora
11-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Alligator Bayou ugly?? I know everyone has their own opinion but I really don't get that one. We think it's lush and beautiful. In fact, even though we now stay almost exclusively at DVC resorts with member points, DH would like to pay out of pocket on our next trip just to stay at POR because he enjoyed it so much.

Mousemates
11-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Aurora Alligator Bayou ugly?? I know everyone has their own opinion but I really don't get that one. We think it's lush and beautiful.

Sorry, but I do kind of get it. However, i think much of it has to do with the time of year you visit...POR's Alligator Bayou is lush in the spring and summer....but in the dead brown of winter (our last stay there was in early January), its not all that lush. I'm not sure i would classify it as ugly, but it was certainly "well to the south" of beautiful.

IATwinsMom
11-12-2010, 01:12 PM
We have stayed at both resorts and extremely prefer POR!! The grounds and buildings are beautiful. It is large but we did not mind the walk. We however had a poor experience at POFQ. We felt housekeeping was less than desirable and we encountered some rude CM's including management:mad:.