PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and anti-Duffy-a Antibodies

Goofy4TheWorld
11-07-2010, 02:40 PM
My wife and I were suddenly told Friday that my wife is producing an antibody that, depending on which blood profile the baby inherited, has a 50/50 chance of attacking the red blood cells our our unborn child, which if in high enough concentration, could cause severe anemia in the baby, and with consequences ranging from significant Jaundice to heart failure.

The condition is a cousin of RH problems common during pregnancy, but unlike RH incapabilities, Duffy-a antibodies appear to be untreatable.

Has anyone out there on Intercot got the same diagnosis, I would love to hear your story if you have. I have read up quite a bit on the NIH website, but am still trying to figure out how common (or uncommon) this condition is.

Thanks.

divinedi
11-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about this, just wanted to send my prayers and best wishes to you and your family in this trying time.

Daisy'sMom
11-07-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm also sending my prayers and good wishes for you and your family.

faline
11-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately, I can't share any knowledge with you either but will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

azdisneymom
11-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Sorry to say I am with everyone else so far - no info at all. However I will add my prayers to those before me. Best wishes for a healthy, happy baby!!

Please keep us posted.

disneymom15
11-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Sorry, I've never heard of this either. Will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Goofy4TheWorld
11-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks to all for the thoughts and prayers.

After seeing the high-risk OB today, we are feeling much better about the prognosis than we were on Friday. The high-risk doctor said most cases do not require intervention prior to delivery and most of that should not be too serious. Everything still hinges on the "concentration" of these antibodies, which should be revealed to us in a few days (hoping for low!)

It seems like most Duffy-a cases are mild, and both doctors have described my wife's condition as "less than one percent" so I guess I won't be finding much first hand experience out there.

Thanks again!

Mickey'sGirl
11-09-2010, 08:26 AM
That's encouraging news for sure! :thumbsup:

pianobabe
11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
My thoughts, prayers and best wishes go out to you and your family. I hope everything goes well. Let us know how everything progresses and when this new little one joins the Intercot family.