PDA

View Full Version : Best Balconies?

Disney Hungarian
11-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Which resort has the best balconies? I am planning to take mom back to WDW next year when it warms back up. She has dementia and Alzheimer's. We just got back from a trip in October and all she remembers is the balcony we had at the BC. She can't go with me on my trip this Dec. due to the cool weather (anything below 70 degrees and she is miserable). My sister is moving into my house for a week so that I may have a break. Mom is upset she can't go, so I want to make a special trip for her as soon as I can. Mom loved to just sit out on the balcony at the BC and people watch. She enjoyed it as much as the parks. So I want to give her the best balcony to people watch. Or since she loves AK and she loves for me to take her to the zoo. A balcony with animal views would work also. Thanks in advance.:mickey:

Pirate Granny
11-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Rent some DVC points and get a studio at AKL Jambo House, Savannha view. Mom will love it

Tinkerfreak
11-07-2010, 07:30 AM
There is nothing like sitting on your balcony and watching a giraffe or zebra munching away. Some of our best times on our past trips were sitting on the balcony at AKL with a cup of coffee in the morning and animal watching. On our first trip our kids would have been happy to stay right in the room.

LudwigVonDrake
11-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Animal Kingdom Lodge would be my pick :wave:

Disney Hungarian
11-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks. I will hop over to AKL when I arrive and ask to see a room. I plan on visiting a few resorts on my first day.

As for renting points; That isn't a good option for me. Mom has to have a roll-in shower and we need 2 beds. If I rented points and when I arrived the room was wrong then I would not be able to correct the situation, because Disney would not talk to me about it since I wasn't the owner. But thanks anyway. :mickey:

magicjasb
11-07-2010, 02:10 PM
We love the balcony at AKL and enjoy watching the animals. Another option, though, is a balcony at the Contemporary overlooking Bay Lake. We loved people watching with the boats and pools, and even fishing and parasailing. We could see the fireworks at Epcot, Electric Water Parade, and even the hot air balloon from Downtown Disney. My kids sat on the balcony whenever we were in the room, to watch what was going on. Good Luck with your decision.:mickey:

Disney Hungarian
11-07-2010, 02:41 PM
After talking with mom. She brought up a good point. She still amazes me with her ability to have amazing clarity at times. She said, "If I stay at the Animal Kingdom, what will I look at at night?" She likes to sit out on the balcony in the evenings more than the daytime. Any thoughts on this?

TammiMcMan
11-07-2010, 03:22 PM
BWI is great for both day and night views. During the day, lots of people watching on the Boardwalk below and in the evenings, beautiful lights from all around and possibly even a partial Illuminations view. I don't know what your budget is, but if you are resort touring, I would ask to see a deluxe room overlooking the Boardwalk.

faline
11-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Another possibility is the Polynesian. We stayed in a building overlooking the quiet pool. It's also an area where there are a number of paths and people are often coming and going.

While the viewing of the Savannah was far more sedate in the evening, there were often a few animals on the savannah - even overnight.

Disney Hungarian
11-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks Tammi,
I love the Epcot resorts. As far as budget goes; I am living off savings, so I do have to try to make the money last. I was looking into the deluxe rooms at BWI. They sounded nice. Since mom couldn't handle more than 3 days it is much cheaper and I can look at resorts I normally wouldn't consider for a longer stay. Do any of the deluxe rooms at BWI have a roll-in shower and two regular beds?

Disney Hungarian
11-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks Faline,
I was going to do a room search there when I go next month. She loves kids and I was thinking a pool view at the Poly would be right up her alley. She went to the luau at the Poly with her late husband and liked the resort. I was also going to see the WL since we lived in Northern Cali and Washington State when I was a child that the WL might be a familiar place to her too.

EllieMae
11-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I can't comment about AKL as I have never stayed there before. But, I have stayed in a room overlooking the Boardwalk (floor right above the boardwalk) and the balcony was wonderful. If you mom enjoys watching people in the evening it would be a magical place to stay. I really enjoyed taking a break from it all and sitting out there each morning and night.

Disney Hungarian
11-07-2010, 05:10 PM
.... I really enjoyed taking a break from it all and sitting out there each morning and night.
I have been reading the replies to mom. She said, "taking a break? I don't even want to go to the parks. I just want to sit on the balcony and watch." Since that is all she remembers from the last trip. It is what she is looking forward to most. She is so much fun. I do hope she will still be mentally able to go next year.

EllieMae
11-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Aww well I really hope that your mom enjoys which ever resort you choose, and I know that she will appreciate your research into the best balcony :cloud9:

Disney Hungarian
11-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Aww well I really hope that your mom enjoys which ever resort you choose, and I know that she will appreciate your research into the best balcony :cloud9:
First step is always the research, second step is dealing with Disney:mickey: I seem to have to but heads with them about the "room requests are subject to availability and are not guaranteed" I have had good luck so far. I hope the trend continues.

TammiMcMan
11-07-2010, 07:30 PM
First step is always the research, second step is dealing with Disney:mickey: I seem to have to but heads with them about the "room requests are subject to availability and are not guaranteed" I have had good luck so far. I hope the trend continues.This is true if you go through the general reservation line. For accommodations required due to medical needs, you should call this number instead Special Reservations Line: (407) 939-7807. They're the only ones who can "block" a room that meets your needs, although they may require a doctors note to back up your request.

disneygirl87
11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I've never stayed at AKL, but I'm sure the views are superb. I love love love the Boardwalk view at the Boardwalk villas. The view is peaceful and if Illuminations is presented early you can watch from the balcony. Your mom will love it.

Disney Hungarian
11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
This is true if you go through the general reservation line. For accommodations required due to medical needs, you should call this number instead Special Reservations Line: (407) 939-7807. They're the only ones who can "block" a room that meets your needs, although they may require a doctors note to back up your request.Thanks, that is the number I use to book a trip with mom. They normally do pretty good, but this last trip was quite an experience. They did "block" off a room. Unfortunately it was the wrong room.... Long story short; It all got sorted and we had the best trip.:mickey:

Mousemates
11-08-2010, 10:41 PM
my two favorite balcony views are AKL (you can still watch the animals at night...at least we could from our room)

or any number of rooms that overlook the marina area and monorail at the GF. For whatever reason we prefer a monorail view room over a MK view.

javamama
11-09-2010, 05:29 PM
We loved the marina/castle views off the Poly they were simply beautiful the two times we stayed there. Listening to the water, and then the fireworks at night were so nice. I'm sure whatever you decide will be perfect for your mom.

MyDisneyworld
11-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I would go AKL. We just got back and you can watch the animals all night, we did. They have soft lighting so you can see them still. It was very amazing.

MNNHFLTX
11-17-2010, 02:39 PM
I do think the balconies at Animal Kingdom Lodge have an amazing view most of the day, but if your mom wants to be able to see more at night, I would recommend the Polynesian. With a view of the lagoon you may have a first-class seat for the fireworks at night, as well as the electrical water pageant and the boat transportation coming and going. With a garden view you will be able to see people strolling along the paths day and night (and the tiki torches lit at night). Or you might be able to see the monorail coming and going. And, of course, someone already mentioned the pool view with all that activity. The only not-so-interesting view might be if you got a room next to the parking lot, but I'm sure you would be able to get a more appealing room if you make a request with your reservation.

BTW, I think this is a very nice thing you are trying to do for your mom. Good luck making it all happen!

floridamom
11-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Another option might be Yacht Club. This past July we were upgraded to a room near the very end of the building that faced "inward" giving us a fantastic view of Stormalong Bay/Beach Club and the boat dock area--great people watching and it is all lit up at night. We could also see the Boardwalk across the lake, with all of it's interesting facades.

I also think you're doing a very nice thing for your mom--I would highly recommend contacting Disney and explaining your situation--you never know what could come of it.:mickey:

Disney Hungarian
11-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Thank you so much everyone.:rocks:
I have narrowed my list of resorts I will visit to check out the balconies and handi-capable accommodations down to; Poly, CR, BW and AK.

......I would highly recommend contacting Disney and explaining your situation--you never know what could come of it.:mickey:I thank you for that advice. Yet, there are far more deserving guests at WDW. I would much rather Disney help the terminal children than my mom and me. I try to remind myself daily of the old saying, "I once cried because I had no shoes. Til I met a man with no feet." It helps me keep things in perspective.:mickey:

faline
11-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I would much rather Disney help the terminal children than my mom and me. I try to remind myself daily of the old saying, "I once cried because I had no shoes. Til I met a man with no feet." It helps me keep things in perspective.:mickey:

What a nice person you are!

christinelee10
11-17-2010, 09:22 PM
I think it's great you are bringing your mom with you. Whatever you do, it will be the right thing because your heart is in the right place!!
Have fun!!!

disney1122
11-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Boardwalk Inn or Bay Lake....

Bay Lake, on the theme park side was amazing! Day and night...