PDA

View Full Version : best character meals for 1 table service credit

ewasilau
11-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi! We are visiting WDW in late Jan. w/ our 3 kids, who will then be almost 7, 4 and 1/2 and almost 3. What are the do-not-miss character meals? FYI - we have been to Disney once before (2 years ago - Jan. 2009) and did Tusker House breakfast, Akershus breakfast and Crystal Palace breakfast (our least favorite of the 3 due to food, service and timing of characters - one skipped our table!). We may repeat Akershus unless there is something more intriguing (but we are not interested in Royal Table - too expensive) and are considering 1800 Park Fare. Are the breakfast foods generally better than dinner? Is there anywhere w/ a good dinner and characters?

Thanks!

Ms. Mode
11-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Chef Mickey's is really good :thumbsup:

brivers222
11-04-2010, 12:59 PM
We went to 1900PF for both Breakfast and dinner during our last trip... we will be returning to neither actually lol The food was typical buffet faire at best.

'Ohana had amazing breakfast food. Even my fiance who hates breakfast food (don't ask, i know its weird) has told me this is a MUST do on each subsequent trip. Characters are Mickey (Hawaiian Shirt), Pluto, Lilo and Stitch. They came to our table several times in the 45mins we ate there. Mickey was great, even sat down next to my fiance for a long (awkward as he doesn't talk lol) time...until stitch came up and started messing with him.

This next trip i will be adding Chef Mickey dinner and Cape May Buffet to our character meal list.

Now If we have extra dining credits I may consider 1900PF again, but really i didn't think the food was worth using a TS credit on it (we paid OOP for all meals last trip)

Gator
11-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Chef Mickey's would be a lot like Donald's Safari Breakfast, so that would be an even trade - you'd just hit it after and Animal Kingdom day instead of breakfast at the park.

Akershus is one of my favs for my wife and daughter. The food at lunch is even better than it is for breakfast. You could trade with 1900 Park Faire at dinner, but you wouldn't get all the Princesses you get in Norway.

1900 Park Faire is a good place for breakfast. You get Tigger, Pooh, Mad Hatter, Alice, and Mary Poppins. It's not like any other character meal, which is good. And the cinnamon rolls there are the best I've had anywhere.

Fastpasssteve
11-04-2010, 01:45 PM
I must say I really enjoyed Tusker House for breakfast on my last trip. I also have a soft spot in my heart for 1900 Park Fare...because it's in the Grand Floridian...the food is great, especially cheese blintzes and chilled strawberry soup...the quality of the food itself (best bacon in WDW)...and the fact that I can meet Mary Poppins, Alice, and the Mad Hatter!

WIMickeymommy
11-04-2010, 02:33 PM
We love to eat at Garden Grill in Epcot. Great character interaction with Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale. Also second the Cape May character breakfast.

DonaldsBFF
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Chef Mickeys Dinner is always a must do for us close to the beginning of the trip. Something about the Contemporary and the monorail trip over there into the hotel just gives us that: "Wow, we are really at Disney," feeling. Food is pretty good for a buffet and character interaction has always been very good. Characters are Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto, maybe even Chip and Dale, can't remember.

Zippy 1
11-04-2010, 03:10 PM
For us it is Chef Mickeys at the begining of the trip and the end. One breakfast and one dinner. We also enjoyed Cape May Cafe and Crystal Palace. Next we go I would love to try 1900 Park Fare

Greenlawler
11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
It really depends on your priorities.....we are character fans first...we prefer to dine in or near the parks second....and the food comes third.

Its hard to mess up breakfast, but Chef Mickey's and Tusker House have the largest array of choices.....

Therefore if I were ranking the character meals.....

1. Chef Mickeys (you get all the big five characters, food is good, and your right there by the monorail station, Breakfast is best but dinner is not bad)

2. Ohana (food is great, good characters, great location. Best dinner location with Liberty Tree out of the character mix:mad:)

3. Akershus (food is unique, not the same old same old, plus the princesses and your in a park, another good dinner spot)

4. Tusker House (large selection of breakfast food, good characters, Animal Kingdom)

5. Cinderella's Royal Table (Frankly we just like being in the castle, we found the food good not fabulous, good array of princesses though. If your saving cash go to Akershus.)

6. Garden Grill (we love the location, and the homegrown fare. Of course Chip and Dale are everywhere in the parks but at least you wont have to wait in line)

7.1900 Park Fair (more obscure characters than the other meals...but we like that. Selection is a little smaller than at CM, or TH but great experience.)

8. Crystal Palace (Don't really care for the food, or the atmosphere. Love the location and heck it beats the daylights out of having to wait in line to see the Pooh characters)

9. Hollywood and Vine (We like the food here okay actually like lunch better than dinner...and we love the unique character options but frankly the place is just crazy. Too much going on for my kids to sit still. )

10. Camp May (Location is a bit out of the way, food selection is small, but is is quaint and quieter than most character meals. Donald and Minnie are wearing their sailing best)

11. Garden Grove (great if you can't find reservations anywhere else and your wife is mad at you for not booking a character meal ;)

We miss Liberty Tree!!!!!!

In my dreams
11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I really like 1900 Park Faire for breakfast. I would try for an early ADR if I went. The atmosphere is whimsical &I like the cast of characters ( Mary Poppins is my favorite). Also, GF is a beautifil resort to visit and you get to take the monorail to MK or Epcot- however you plan it out:)

MagicalGuest
11-15-2010, 10:30 PM
We like 1900 Park Fare for dinner. As noted by others, the buffet food is just OK. But the character interaction with Cinderella's stepsisters is priceless, even for boys!

ElenitaB
11-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Our favorites are 'Ohana for breakfast and Garden Grill for dinner: really good food, not overly crowded and great character interaction!

wdwfansince75
11-16-2010, 08:54 AM
We have never had a bad Character Meal experience. We usually do at least two per trip. We did Crystal Palace for breakfast last trip, and found it even better than on past trips. Both the character interactions (especially Pooh and Tigger with DGS#4, then 2 1/2 ) and the food were outstanding. We also have had several great experiences at Donald's Safari Breakfast...and at 1900 Park Faire..and Chef Mickey's...and at the Garden Grill..Pick the characters your kids love most...go for the characters, not the food...it ain't gourmet, but it's better than IHOP!

buzznwoodysmom
11-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Our favorite character breakfast is Ohana's hands down. Its great food, fun characters and best of all its not a buffet, so moms and dads) can actually enjoy sitting down for a meal with their family rather than running to and from the buffet for everyone.

Our favorite character meal, other than breakfast, was Garden Grill at Epcot. The food was really, really great, and the character interaction tons of fun. My son is allergic to seafood and chicken, and DH is allergic to fish, so this isn't a place we choose to do very often, but its really great!

Another great option is Les Chefs de France in Epcot. While not a typical character meal, Remy the rat visits tables. We had lunch here in June and was pleasantly surprised at how good the food and service here was. Its at the top of must do again meals in WDW. And our boys loved seeing Remy!