PDA

View Full Version : A Maltese dog question

Disneymom4ever
11-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a Maltese that I've had for about 3 months now, and he won't stop scratching! I feel so bad for him! I switched him to a different food (better for him, no corn, etc.) as was recommended by Petsmart. Funny thing is, is the lady I got him from said to make sure and bathe him weekly because of his sensitive skin! (which I was told not to). She truly meant well as he was very spoiled. I think she just didn't know any better. I'm just not sure what to do at this point! I googled this online, and someone recommended olive oil in there food? Any other tips would be great! :mickey:

I LoveJack
11-03-2010, 09:34 PM
As a dog groomer, there could be any number of reasons why a dog scratches. Do they have dry skin? Try using an oatmeal based shampoo with a good moisterizing conditioner. It could just be allergies. My mother has a bulldog that they have to treat with children's benadril sometimes. Is it all over or just one certain spot? If it is just one spot , try some cortazone spray to help the itching.

PirateLover
11-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Petsmart employees can be kind and helpful, but most are by no means experts. There are many reasons why your dog might be scratching. I think a trip to the vet is in order. They will be able to give you the best advice after inspecting him. It may be dry skin, but dogs can also have allergies. Bathing once a week is excessive, but some dogs do need it and its not harmful with the right shampoo.

TheDuckRocks
11-04-2010, 12:18 AM
:ditto: to everything Maryanne said!!!

Carol
11-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Go to a Vet. I work at an Animal Hospital and we see this type of thing all the time with both dogs and cats.

Pets can have seasonal allergies just like people. We're seeing a lot right now with the Fall weather.

FYI; if your pet is not stinky there is no reason to bathe it. :thumbsup:

NewDVCowner
11-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Every once in a while my dogs ears swell up and his stomach gets all red, it's some sort of allergy. My vet told me it was okay to give him benadryl, which helps a lot. Go to the vet, but you can also ask about doing that and how much to give.

Disneymom4ever
11-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks everyone, sounds like a trip to the vet is in order. He scratches all over, I'm wondering now if it's allergies. Hard to tell at this point. Thanks again, you all are always so helpful! :mickey:

TinyDancer
11-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Poor Puppy!!! I've worked at a small pet store for over 3 years and I aways tell people to take everything I say with a grain of salt and talk to their vets as well. However, if it is allergies there are a lot of really great foods that I've heard people having a lot of luck with. There are also different things you can add to the food to help. (All of these things I glean from personal experience of myself and co-workers and other customers, not from the companies, haha.) Good luck! If you'd like any of my other opinions (and that's what they are, as I tell everyone!) just let me know!

Rebecca