PDA

View Full Version : Can't Avoid the Dreaded Refurb

Gator
11-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I recently moved my WDW trip up a week so that my kids can finally ride Splash Mountain. Unfortunately, it moved us right into the window of Playhouse Disney refurb that will last 2 months. The kids will really miss that. Also, the Riverboat will be down, but that's not really too bad of a loss. There's only one time of year that I've never seen a refurb, but I won't write it, cause then Disney will see it and plan 5 refurbs for that time:). Still, at least we'll get Splash.

faline
11-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Yup! You can always plans on needing to miss something! For us Disney fanatics, it's another excuse to plan another trip!

MagicalGuest
11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Splash Mountain is well worth it. Enjoy!

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Although refurbs are annoying, I'm so glad that they keep the parks and attractions in good repair. We'll have a fair bit closed in January, but it is a good reason for another trip :thumbsup:

BigThunderFan
11-03-2010, 09:40 PM
I wish they wouldn't have so many things closed the ENTIRE month of January! They have the marathon right in the middle of refurb mania month and we can't reschedule our trip because of that. I just wish they would change around a little bit when things are closed.

John
11-03-2010, 09:53 PM
:confused: Gator - still trying to figure out why you even go anymore. Seems you are always bummed out about some refub that happens when you plan your trips. Do you even have a good time at WDW or is it all misery?

Stuff's gotta close to be rehabbed. It the great circle of life...

And for January - you gotta know cause we talk about it all the time here - stuff is gonna be down. Usually splash - but you deal with it because the parks are less crowded. It's the great trade off. The marathon is held that month I am quite sure to draw people there during an otherwise quiet time.

Polynesian Dweller
11-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I was trying to think of the last time I went and there wasn't a refurb on something. And in the last twenty years I can't remember a time. As John says things have to be refurbed. In the long run, that's a good thing.

I also tried to remember the last time refurb ruined my trip and I couldn't think of one time. Ultimately, it's up to me and my family to make it a great trip and we do.

Victor Kelly
11-03-2010, 10:10 PM
My wife and I had our honeymoon in late september to early october of this year. Small World was down, Tea Party was down, Star Tours was down, and there were the day to day breakdowns.

We were bummed, but guess what, we can go back when we are ready to go back.

Yeah it ***** when something is closed for a refurb, but without refurbs the park falls apart. You have to **** it up and deal with it, life is full of disappointment, but it is what you make of what you have that counts way way more.

Goofy4TheWorld
11-03-2010, 10:57 PM
:jaw:

Gator, I don't mind you discussing your frustration with the refurb situation, and I am very glad to see that you have finally found a way to make Splash work for you and your family!

Every time I see Splash appear on the refurb list I think of you.

LVT
11-04-2010, 08:16 AM
I think this is a good site to get the frustrations out. Say it and remove the negative emotions and go on. I love WDW and know that it is too big to be perfect.:beer:

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-04-2010, 09:24 AM
I think he was just venting and I didn't feel like it was excessive complaining...a lot of us come here to do that because we know other disney freaks will understand...

Having said that I am glad Disney keeps their rides in safe and good riding order and I guess that January is one of their slower months so they plan a lot then. makes sense to me.:mickey:

ChipNDale79
11-04-2010, 10:06 AM
I think he was just venting and I didn't feel like it was excessive complaining...a lot of us come here to do that because we know other disney freaks will understand...

Having said that I am glad Disney keeps their rides in safe and good riding order and I guess that January is one of their slower months so they plan a lot then. makes sense to me.:mickey:

MDF, he also posted a thread about this last year. I understand being frustrated by refurbs, but they have to close things in order to keep the parks safe and clean.

We all know that SM closes in jan, we talked about this last year. So why book a trip for the same time if you know the attraction is going to be closed and then complain about it? Disney is not out to get any one of us, IMO they do their best to make every one of our trips as magical as possible.

I'm glad he was able to rebook his trip though, I'll be jealous of him when he's riding SM and im not :)

brivers222
11-04-2010, 10:43 AM
in three seperate 10day trips since 2004 i have only had one trip with IASM open and one trip with POTC open... and never at the same time... its quite funny how much IASM is in rehab... kinda like Amy Winehouse

Stu29573
11-04-2010, 11:24 AM
in three seperate 10day trips since 2004 i have only had one trip with iasm open and one trip with potc open... And never at the same time... Its quite funny how much iasm is in rehab... Kinda like amy winehouse

lol:d

Gator
11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
:confused: Gator - still trying to figure out why you even go anymore. Seems you are always bummed out about some refub that happens when you plan your trips. Do you even have a good time at WDW or is it all misery?

"Hey, hey, hey, it's the big master control program everybody's been talking about." - Flynn 1984. Very amusing comments. The fact is, the last couple of years, the only time I can take my vacation is the end of January. So like other posters here who are "stuck" in January, we'd like to experience some rides and attractions that are typically closed that time of year. It's like going to Yellowstone and the rangers tell you Old Faithful is closed.

These attractions are things me and my kids enjoy. Disney can close Hall of Prez, Backlot Tour, and O Canada all they want and it wouldn't bug us. There's just some things I'd rather not see closed when I'm there......just like EVERYONE else. And like a PP wrote, this a place for Disney freaks like you and me to talk about our insane feelings that no one else in the world has.

I write here because the community understands and can sympathize - my facebook buddies just wouldn't get it. I write here because I want to hear other crazy people like me saying they feel the same way when their favorite ride goes down while they're there. I'm passionate about things - especially about my WDW trips. I'm pumped about the good things and feel let down about the not-so-good things. I'm curious why anyone who's been to WDW DOESN'T have this same passion.

Ms. Mode
11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Splash Mountain is well worth it. Enjoy!

We actually moved our trip up 2 days in order for our DD to ride SM this year; it went down for maintenance the day before we go there last year and it's her favorite ride. :thumbsup:

r4kids
11-04-2010, 02:26 PM
in three seperate 10day trips since 2004 i have only had one trip with IASM open and one trip with POTC open... and never at the same time... its quite funny how much IASM is in rehab... kinda like Amy Winehouse

HAHAHAHA Love it :)

Scrappy2
11-05-2010, 12:23 PM
We were there at the end of May last year and I cannot remember anything being down. If it was it did not ruin my trip because I have already forgotten about it...

Victor Kelly
11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
The "Master Control Program" as you call John, has a point. And he makes good points for the OP.

The statement is there that one can only take his vacation in January. Well that is high refurb season. Yes we can understand the frustration of hitting wall to wall refurbs. But even those of us that are just as passionate about Disney, realize that refurbs are needed and required.

Small world and Tea Party are two of my must do attractions but they were closed. My statement was "well nuts". I was not happy but I did not continue to post here or on several other sites about things always being closed. Regardless of what you want open or could care less about being closed doesn't matter to Disney. In fact the statement could make other posters here unhappy since they have their likes and dislikes too.

If you are peeved all the time, then hey don't go. Nobody is twisting your arms. And don't get ticked because someone called you out on the constant complaints. I have been here with Intercot for a very long time, in fact predating this current incarnation of the site. And I see a lot of complaining and bad mouthing on the increase which is why I now frequent multiple other boards.

So I am ending this post with a positive note. My wife was a first time visitor to WDW. She had a blast regardless of what was not running. I had a blast because I got to be with someone on their very first trip and it was seeing things for the first time myself regardless of the fact it was my 40th visit. Our honeymoon was a tremendously positive experience which Disney helped a lot in making happen. Rehabs or not I am always happy to arrive, enjoy my vacation, make the most of everything and go home happy. :beat:

John
11-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I had to chuckle at the "It's like going to Yellowstone and the rangers tell you Old Faithful is closed"

The analogy really doesn't fly with me in this case - it's not like the front gates were locked. I'm picturing Wally World from the Vacation Movies - Sorry Folks, Parks Closed!

Even in Jan (which is when I tend to go with my family) - there is still plenty to see and do. If I get bummed about missing certain attractions, then eventually I'll schedule during a different time.

However, it sometimes seems that there is a lot of complaining about the refurbs when it's all for the good of the property.

Again, I'll take the refurbs in exchange for tiny crowds any day....

Can't be all bad right Gator? You keep going back to the magic year after year... and heck - you DO get to see Splash this time. Enjoy your trip.

[EOL]

Buttercup
11-05-2010, 06:38 PM
It has to be refurbed in January. They can't rotate the months that Splash is in refurb, because well, the weather kind-of dictates when this water ride is in high demand. It just doesn't make sense to close one of their E-Ticket rides...
a) during peak season when it's needed the most for crowd capacity
b) during hot summer months in Florida when people need the cool water of Splash!
If not in January, then when would YOU have them do their annual refurb, Gator? February? Sorry - President's week is the start of spring break crowds. September? Sorry, the weather is still hot in Florida so it doesn't make sense to close this water ride. I just don't understand why you complain about this every year as though you never saw it coming. What other option does Disney have, in order to appease your travel schedule? Would you prefer that Disney let the ride go into disrepair for a couple years so that folks who are forced to travel in January can enjoy the ride?
Doesn't make sense to me. :confused:

This year I'm going in February and will be missing Playhouse Disney, Primevil Whirl & Star Tours.... three things that are usually on my must-do list. But like the old saying goes, I'd rather have a bad day at Disney World than a good day at work! :mickey::cool: